It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have just bought an iMac desktop !!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Welcome to the world of Mac PurpleDog!

I must say asking which is better, Mac or PC, is like opening a can of worms! I have my own small business creating websites and I upgraded from a 4 year old iMac to the 27" iMac & a Mac book Pro back in May, no more downtime waiting on graphics to render! I switched from PC at my home years ago!

As for which is better, depends on what your are doing. I have a friend in the film industry and he had to upgrade this spring for a show shot in HD 3D. I tried to talk him into going Mac, but he decided to stick with what he knew, a PC. He had one custom built for the project with 6gbs of RAM with the new Intel i7. Needless to say he is up to 12gbs of RAM & the computer still crashes because of memory problems. I just shake my head and think, should have bought a Mac!

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask

MACS are tools for creating media...end of story. Calling them a "consumer's product" clearly shows you were not around much earlier then the release of the new fangled Ipod...

This is a common misconception. There is nothing inherent in Macs that makes them "tools for creating media". Same goes for PCs. Furthermore, the argument that "creative types use Macs" is another false flag. When it comes to technology, I trust the opinion of technical types, not creative types.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Personally, I prefer the Mac because of OSX, the design and the look of the machine, but I like the PC platform for its upgradability and its flexibility.

posted on Sep, 11 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I learned on a Mac and have always had them. I got my first one as part of a job perks package and the university where I worked had all Macs. I wouldn't use anything else. My husband, however, learned on a PC and he absolutely hates my Mac. He says it is ridiculously hard to use. I feel the same way about PC's. Somehow, our marriage has lasted, though

As far as not being able to upgrade Macs, that is simply not true. I got my present one in 08 and have since been able to upgrade it to an OSX10.6 Snow Leopard.

Unfortunately, it is no longer true that Macs are impervious to viruses and malware. There have been some designed lately especially for the OSX's. I know because I've had a few. Apparently, the more the Mac grows in popularity the more tempting it is to invade it.

I strongly recommend ClamXav, which is a malware scanner usable on the Mac. I have downloaded the free version and am very happy with it. You can set the preferences on it to quarantine contaminated files in a separate folder and from there secure delete them from your system.

You can download it here:
clamxav

Congratulations on your excellent choice of a computer and may you have a long and lasting relationship with Macs.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join