It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mod etiquette question..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Every now and again I come across a post that to me, goes above and beyond what I normally expect and stands out so much that I find just starring the post doesn't seem to be enough.

I came across one today that to me, certainly deserves an applause but I am unable to give one for obvious reasons.

My question to the Mod's is: Is it appropriate to U2U a Mod and ask that they take a look at a certain post and see if it indeed deserves in their opinion, an applause.

I realize that Mod's are probably inundated with U2U's all the time, and most are probably of the negative sort, but I also know that they can't be expected to read every post that there is and depend on ordinary users to alert them of the bad posts.

I just don't want to bother them with more messages when they are so busy in the first place but sometimes I come across what I see as a real gem, and almost always they are written by someone that I have never come across before on the boards but feel that just to give them a star is not enough.

Anyways, that is my question and I thank you in advance for any answers. I also understand if the Mod's would rather not be getting U2U's "telling them their job", as I'm sure they get lot's of those already.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

You could alway hit the alert button on their post, but instead of sending an alert, you could suggest that the member be applauded.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Absolutely

U2U a mod, or use the alert button found on each post, with your thoughts about the post deserving applause.

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

These pretzals are making me thirsty.
Sorry but my responce was countered quickly.

[edit on 1-9-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I'm curious to see what is said about this.

How about the question with a slight twist?

What if it is the post or thread of a moderator you would like to see applauded. Would it be appropriate in that scenario as well?

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

[edit on 1-9-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Although I think its a good concept,
I can't help but think the Mods are already inundated with other duties..

Maybe something to add in the issues thread could be,

Any post that receives X amount of stars automatically gets an applause??

posted on Sep, 1 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Just alert the post you think is applause worthy and make sure you make note that is the reason you are alerting
Most times, we will agree with you

[edit on September 1st 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I wholeheartedly agree!

Alerting isn't just for trolls, lurkers, and your standard run-of-the-mill obnoxious disrespectful angst hurler....

There are not enough Mods in the world to evaluate EVERY post; and for the most part, that is a shame... because here at abovetopsecret.com there appear to be more great posts than trash bin-worthy ones.

"Alert" - it's how we depend on you.

[edit on 2-9-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I love being able to give props for great posts. The applause is the best part about being a moderator IMHO.

While as many have noted we are busy, all of us are members first and love to see excellent posts anytime...... and an alert is great way to let us know!!!!!

[edit on 9/2/10 by FredT]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
What if it is the post or thread of a moderator you would like to see applauded. Would it be appropriate in that scenario as well?

I don't think mods can get applause (though maybe they can get FSME applause, not sure about that).

But I bet they wouldn't mind a little "member applause" in the form of a u2u

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

That's correct.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

y question to the Mod's is: Is it appropriate to U2U a Mod and ask that they take a look at a certain post and see if it indeed deserves in their opinion, an applause.

By all means, it's appropriate.
(just include a link to the thread/post please!)

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

It is always appropriate to u2u any mod with issues or questions. As Gazrok said just be sure to include a link to the post you thinks needs to be applauded. I love giving applause so please by all means let us know when you see a post that deserves it.

new topics

top topics

join