It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul Defends NYC Mosque

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Libertarian Congressman Ron Paul is breaking with many of his fellow Republicans - among them his son Rand - to support the creation of the planned Islamic cultural center near the former site of the World Trade Center that has come to be known as the "ground zero mosque."

In a statement decrying "demagogy" around the issue, the former Republican presidential candidate wrote late last week that "the debate should have provided the conservative defenders of property rights with a perfect example of how the right to own property also protects the 1st Amendment rights of assembly and religion by supporting the building of the mosque."

"Instead, we hear lip service given to the property rights position while demanding that the need to be 'sensitive' requires an all-out assault on the building of a mosque, several blocks from 'ground zero,'" Paul continues.

Source

All I can say is thank f'n God that Dr. Paul backs the Mosque. But why wouldn't he? He's a Constitutionalist and a defender of Freedom...and really, this is what it's all about, isn't it?

Right Wingers seem to have lost their sense of logic with the Mosque being "near" Ground Zero and seemed to forget what America is all about.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
He's totally right.

The issues here are right of religion, right of private property and right of freedom of speech.

All protected by the bills of rights.

Of course the republicans are against those.

Ron Paul right again.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
S+F

It's stands like this one that continually suggest to me that Ron Paul is the real deal.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Ron Paul: One of America's last real deal politicians.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Stop with the division of left and right and start thinking in terms of right and wrong.
Why is Ron Paul right? It is because he understands the mechanism by which all rights are derived. Property!
Every Human is born a property owner. We each OWN our bodies. This is where our rights come from.

It is important to defend the rights of others, even when we don't like it, because when one persons rights are violated, we all will eventually suffer for it.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Smack]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Ron Paul just lost my vote. His propterty stance is correct but I'm not bending over while these Islamist Jihadists try to stick it to us.

I have a relative in Northern N.J. - at the time of 9/11 he worked in the police department for one of the small towns in Morris county. The police office received a report on 9/11/2001 that there were Palistinians in Palisades N.J. (that overlooks the Hudson & NYC) that were cheering in the streets.

I still have a copy of that police report - I'll have to make it into a PDF and post it on ATS some day...in the meantime, the Jihadists can stick their Mosque somewhere else.

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
The mosque thing is an interesting test of the 1st Amendment isn't it?

Never mind it's location, because it doesn't matter where a mosque is built in the US right now it's going to be protested against. The funny thing is, both sides are doing the right thing according to the Constitution.

The people that are against the Mosque have the absolute right to voice their opposition to it, it's freedom of speech and a fundamental tenet of the bill of rights.

At the exact same time, those that want to worship the way they want to have the right to do so and so have the right to build places of worship. Again, a fundamental tenet of the bill of rights.

People have the right to protest against anything they feel is unjust in this world, I am sure that there probably is someone out there that want's to picket NERF factories for some odd reason, and they would have the right to.

I think the point I am getting at is, there really is no point to this. It's a distraction technique.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
People have the right to protest against anything they feel is unjust in this world, I am sure that there probably is someone out there that want's to picket NERF factories for some odd reason, and they would have the right to.

I think the point I am getting at is, there really is no point to this. It's a distraction technique.

OMG!

I actually agree with you on something.

The apocalypse must be right around the corner.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bowlbyville
Ron Paul just lost my vote. His propterty stance is correct but I'm not bending over while these Islamist Jihadists try to stick it to us.

I have a relative in Northern N.J. - at the time of 9/11 he worked in the police department for one of the small towns in Morris county. The police office received a report on 9/11/2001 that there were Palistinians in Palisades N.J. (that overlooks the Hudson & NYC) that were cheering in the streets.

I still have a copy of that police report - I'll have to make it into a PDF and post it on ATS some day...in the meantime, the Jihadists can stick their Mosque somewhere else.

Sad but it's ok. We'll do fine without you

I want these same bigots to go protest a church near a school considering the countless amounts of child rape committed by Priests. Or how about pro lifers who murdered doctors at abortion clinics? What? They don't represent their Religion? Neither did the hijackers on 9/11.

Even though the attacks (well, all religious provoked attacks) were done in the name of a God or Religion, it shouldn't paint a religious institution as a negative one.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I actually agree with you on something.

The apocalypse must be right around the corner.

Yes! Join the dark side!

[edit on 8/23/2010 by whatukno]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Free cookies? I'm SOLD.

2nd line.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Dr. Paul doesn't back the community center per se. He backs and has faith in the values, principles, and laws of this country. As should everyone. If you really think about it, whether the intent of this building is "evil" or not, it's already proven how damaged this nation is and how little faith people have in it. Very sad.

[edit on 8/24/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Dr. Ron Paul has provided yet another, needed dose of libertarian truth in american politics.

Adds Paul: "It is repeatedly said that 64% of the people, after listening to the political demagogues, don't want the mosque to be built. What would we do if 75% of the people insist that no more Catholic churches be built in New York City? The point being is that majorities can become oppressors of minority rights as well as individual dictators."

Ahh, a great example of the failure of pure democracy... When the majority steps upon the inalienable rights of the minority. Thankfully I live in a constitutional democratic republic. Supposedly.

It's ok to not like the 'ground zero mosque.' It's ok to think it is insensitive or wrong. It is ok to think a little less of the religion due to the actions of a SMALL portion of it. It is ok to refuse to work on the property for construction/maintenance. It is ok to protest, peacefully, outside.
It is ok to to offer more than fair market value for the property to prevent it from being built at it's current location.

It is not ok to try to force government to step in. It is not ok to threaten a property owner.

If you don't like it, then get a group of buyers together to purchase it. Start a gay bar for muslims. Or maybe just make a mental note of it and move on in your life.

We american's should recognize the difference between what they can do in america and what they should do. It would help to make us great again.

Oh, and my personal opinion... I don't really like the idea of the muslim cultural center being built there. I'm not going to dwell on it though. I just won't forget that it is there.

Edit to remove accidental 'you' so as not to not attack the op and change to address all americans.

[edit on Mon, 23 Aug 2010 20:12:44 -0500 by sporkmonster]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Ron Paul Rocks !

Ive yet to disagree with him on a single issue.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
This does not suprise me. He seems like a smart guy. I think he knows that all the idiots getting all upset at the Mosque are playing right into the hands of the people who do want to hurt America. If you are a small miniority with little to no support from your own people the best way to get that support is you let your enemy do enough stupid stuff to drive them to you. The people who protest and get angry about people who had nothing to with 911 other than being in a less radical version of the same religion wanting to replace the building they currently use to worship in with a more formal one are to stupid to understand they are dancing to the tune radical islam wants them to. Not only do they spit on everything America stands for they are also woking for the enemy. Its amazing this many Americans are this stupid not to mention how easy they turn on the freedom so many have fought to defend.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bowlbyville
there were Palistinians in Palisades N.J. (that overlooks the Hudson & NYC) that were cheering in the streets.

Yeah, why don't you do that immediately so we can see if it's true or not, and if the report is real or not. And even if it is, just relax, all this stuff is just unfolding the way the government wants it to. Or you can play the part.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by againuntodust]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I agree with Ron Paul .

But the City of New York need to work with the Greek Church to rebuild theirs . Cut the red tape like they did for the Mosque .

The Greek Church was there but destroyed on 911 and its rebuilding is in limbo ATM .

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
A democracy is two wolves and a sheeple voting on what's for dinner.
Ron Paul seems to understand the US is a republic, where the minority is protected as well as the majority...
He is getting old.
Once he is gone...the wolves will be eating sheeple.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Because Paul is a TRUE conservative.. Any "Conservative" against the Mosque and demanding the Government do anything about is a liar, a fraud, a pathetic excuse of a Conservative..

Look at every single person protesting the Mosque and you will see what's destroyed the Republican Party.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Lostinthedarkness

The Mosque hired architects to design and give cost estimates for the facility (the Mosque that is already there......) they have not done any Coding, no Planning and they don't even have the funds estimated to cover the cost.....

Understand the story.. don't just read the summary on MSM news sites.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join