It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So What Do You Think About The Face Book ATS Connection?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
While I was away from my computer it seems ATS and my FB page got together and had a conversation, I am not sure if I welcome FB to ATS. Surely it will make ATS grow by leaps and bounds but it seems it may dilute the tenacious truth seeking and denying ignorance.
Personally I like to keep my ATS self separated from my FB self. That's right, split personality here, at least when it comes to discussing topics here at ATS.
But I guess it is stingy to keep the wonder of ATS to our collective selves..
just sayin'....
I know I don't really like it as an ATS background on the home page, my two worlds are colliding! Noooo!!

What do you guys think?

spec

[edit on 23-8-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Oh great one more way for the TPTB to keep an eye on us nut jobs.

The thought police would get him just the same. He had committed--would have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper--the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever. You might dodge successfully for a while, even for years, but sooner or later they were bound to get you.

George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 1

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Well spec I do see your point....I don't belong to FB however I am a member of IMDb and I am a bit of prick on the forums there....only because I am a music/movie snob in a way. So here I am more civil and understanding and over there I'm calling people out for not being consistent with their opinions of movies. (its so easy to do that too considering everyone likes to air their personal top 10)

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Well, I believe it is a monetary move.
somebody is making something from this sellout.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Am I the only one who doesnt know what you are talking about? Did I miss something? I am being serious and not poking fun, I dont really know what you mean.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Am I the only one who doesnt know what you are talking about? Did I miss something? I am being serious and not poking fun, I dont really know what you mean.

There a facebook page for ATS on FB now.

Did you not get the invite? I will send you one on facebook now if you want

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
We TOTALLY loose anonymity we have on ATS with this FB connection.
Suddenly my real name and the real names of other ATS members are out there for all to friggen see..........
How? Because FB is suggesting me to add friends who are also ATS users but by our 'real names'. SOME of these folks I already am friends with so it is ok but to have strangers write me a note saying how cool it is to put a face to TRG and lets be pals when I don't particularly LIKE them on ATS.....its just WRONG!
FB has decided it is THEIR RIGHT to 'out' us ATS folks and make our true identity known, whether we agree with this or not.........

with ATS going along with this social connections linking up to the ATS site.......it seems like ATS is giving away our identity in this backhanded manner.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

Which is all the more reason why I am not on there! I'm glad I stuck to my guns on this one. its true i am the only one of my family that isn't on there, i feel like such the black sheep

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
[edit on 23-8-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Burn damn you BURN!

Now back to our show.

I'm not sure I'm liking the connection.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
We TOTALLY loose anonymity we have on ATS with this FB connection.
Suddenly my real name and the real names of other ATS members are out there for all to friggen see...

This is my own personal opinion as well.

I'd simply not want all and sundry to know my real full-name thanks.
And I'm not the kind of person who has multiple accounts so wouldn't set up a random-named one simply for this or other sites with FB Pages.

with ATS going along with this social connections linking up to the ATS site.......it seems like ATS is giving away our identity in this backhanded manner.

I don't see it as backhanded at all.

Ultimately its you who chooses to link to it or not.

Thats not 'backhanded', that you exercising your choice to put it all out there or not...ATS doesn't click the 'Like' or 'Friend' button - you do.

Peace.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by alien]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Well when it gets down to having to show identity, I will no longer be a member.
I have nothing to hide per-say, but I don't have any interest in the entire world knowing my possible location,..
freedom.... slowly slipping .... away...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Click in HOME and you will see a magic happens, your ATS become a Facebook! Blue with an F on each side of the screen...

reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I think the owners of ATS have their motives, whatever that may be. People might complain about privacy but nobody is being forced to put ATS on their facebook profile, if they have one. But, in my opinion, ATS should create a social site on their own, there's a thread about a "Conspiracy Book", something like the FB but entirely ATS'ed.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I don't like the idea of Facebook or 'social networking' sites in general.

I also don't like the idea of social networking imbeciles popping their nose into these forums and ruining them with troll comments and ignorance. BUT. I don't think that will happen. We might actually get some real cool members that will outweigh the few dummies who join up.

Of course, I do have a facebook.

But it's a made up character. So wouldn't matter to me if I get linked up with it or not. Heck, most of the people on it I don't even know in real life either, just to make it that more anonymous.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think one thread about it by SO was enough.

2nd Line.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'm not on FB so that's a non-issue for me. Kinda thinking about it from another angle...sort of liked this site because it wasn't mainstream. That's all I'm saying.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Perhaps....this is a conspiracy in and of itself? Maybe everything needs to be connected to facebook which will in hand be turned over to google and then....
there i said it, who's making the thread?

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Absolutely crazy.

ATS took the email addresses you signed up with, and searched them on Facebook compiling a list of it's members and real names... Those of us stupid enough to have Facebook account that is.

This is BAD. Not just that Facebook now knows all of the email addresses for the people registered at ATS, but that ATS would compile a list and do such a thing.

ATS is only in it for the money now it seems, no more open and anonymous internet.

If they were, this is the biggest FUBAR by far.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeanius

ATS took the email addresses you signed up with, and searched them on Facebook compiling a list of it's members and real names... Those of us stupid enough to have Facebook account that is.

Can you explain what you mean by that?

ETA: I don't have a FB account so I'm asking cause I don't understand.

[edit on 23 Aug 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
How else would they send you an invite on facebook?

They took the email addresses associated with your ATS account, and searched them in facebook compiling a list of people who had what seems to be a real facebook account that they could now invite to become fans of the ATS homepage on facebook.

Why? So they can write things on their facebook wall and it will show up to all their fans.

Why would they do this? It's yet another way of getting their advertisers products in front of their users, even when they are not currently on ATS.

Think I'm wrong?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join