It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First US soldier killed in Iraq since withdrawal of combat troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Just a few days ago it was all over the news about the last combat brigade leaving Iraq for Kuwait and driving to their destination peacefully.

Well, as of today, the first soldier killed in a combat incident came after combat is allegedly over for US Forces in Iraq.

First US soldier killed in Iraq since withdrawal of combat troops

An American soldier was killed by a rocket strike near Basra today, in the first US fatality since the last combat troops left Iraq.

This is the first combat casualty I have heard of in a long time. That is not the case, because US soldier were still being engaged in combat for much of 2010. It seems there must have been a media blackout of casualties leading up to the withdrawal to show a semblance of security in Iraq and successes of Iraqi Security Forces? It seems they were not as tucked in as we would have thought when it was reported that US forces had hunkered down in the bases and largely discontinued combat patrols? The website below paints an entirely different story, with many hostile fire casualties for 2010.

Iraq Coalition Casualties: Military Fatalities

Now the video from all the major news sources showed the withdrawal as orderly and without incident, but how can we be certain that the military did not sweep the area before this convoy made its way to Kuwait? To me that public display by the military departing a cauldron of violence and chaos under peace was nothing more than a photo op and campaign fodder for the upcoming mid-term election and the Presidential Campaign of 2012.

As far as I am concerned, a military presence is still rife in Iraq and call them what ever you want. We must remember how combat affective US advisers were in Vietnam. Perhaps, the Administration ought to think of another choice of wording when illustrating US military involvement in Iraq this day forward? Moreover, if some thought things were done in the dark during major combat operations; then they are in for a rude awakening. Now, US forces who will still be conducting raids and acquiring high-value targets will have the blanket of denial covering them when an incident arises. The US military presence will be as darkened as Iraqi cities. This new designation gives them an opportunity to shirk culpability and scrutiny.

Personally, I think the draw down and withdrawal is all smoking mirrors. Moreover, Iraq is still a mess with reconstruction funds missing, political confusion, infrastructure failure, daily militant attacks, and other social misfortune caused by this war. We must remember that a lot of treasure and lives were exhausted in Iraq regardless of who's politics we may agree or disagree with. Furthermore, the Iraqi military has shown promise and the people braved threats to vote last March during the parliamentary elections. I suppose with the latest developments out of Iraq, it is more political smoking mirrors?

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I heard there is still 50,000 troops , no longer CALLED combat troops , but given a different name. Also, supposedly 90,000 private contractors still there patrolling.
I heard this is all about the DATE Obama promised that we would be out of Iraq.
Nothing more than smoke and mirrors, photo ops and trying to make Obama look like he kept the deadline.
Obamas suppose to do a big speech on Aug 30-31 and praise himself on winning the war and returning the troops home.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
not to disagree OP
yeah could you change that word withdrawl to renamed?
withdrawl is how a person gets off hopium.
renamed is what you have when combat brigades become
Advise and Assist Brigades
just sayin.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
C'mon now, this is TOTAL propaganda you are spewing.

The WAR is over, it has BEEN proclaimed by the propaganda tube.

I will believe YOU when you show me a propaganda badge.

You HAVE to be mistaken, there will be no deaths in Iraq due to war.

It will all be caused by "accidents", that is what I have been told.

These people over there, after experiencing our DEMOCRACY, always
become overjoyed with emotion and spontaneous eruptions of joy always
comes about.

Sorry OP, I am just SO sick and tired of hearing the feel good CRAP that
comes from our propaganda tube. These people do NOT want peace,
they want stife, they want terror, they want control.

Time to just say, let them roll around in their own filth.
We CANNOT make them learn morals. We cannot legislate
morals. Time to let people destroy or to preserve.

If you attempt to lead a horse to water, they will fight. If
you go yourself and let the SEE the result, they will follow.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
After such a bad month in July, this "withdrawal of all combat troops" seems more like a surrender and retreat, doesn't it?

Iraq's July Death Toll Highest In 2 Years

Iraqi officials say July was the deadliest month in Iraq in more than two years.

Government figures released by Iraqi's Health, Defense and Interior ministries late Saturday show 535 people were killed across the country in July, while nearly 1,043 people were wounded.

The July death toll in Iraq is the highest since May 2008, when 563 people were killed.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Texcin

Yeah, I heard 50,000 are going to remain. Then, I heard the thing about private contractors being more involved in security, but unsure about your number. Could you provide attribution for that figure?

As for this withdrawal, it looks like smoking mirrors or a dog and pony show? It seems the media are complicit in this ruse by our President about about withdrawal at all costs regardless of the facts on the ground and US casualties? What is taking place in Iraq is a media blackout and a blatant attempt by the MSM to bolster a political entity. That is how I see it. Combat is still taking place, but called something else?

reply to post by Danbones

Point taken about the name change! Maybe we should call Iraq, "Business as Usual?" Nothing is going to change, and a US presence is going to remain. Moreover, more will die, but will fall under the radar of the media. With the new name designation it will divert the public's attention at the carnage taking place where the US military remains under fire. Those casualty statistics for 2010 are staggering, and I was taken back by all who were killed by hostile fire. Good point about the name change!

reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

I think that little stage play of the Stryker Brigade leaving for Kuwait is the propaganda, and the war is still ongoing. Our leaders seem to be shirking that simple fact. If they had stones, they would call it as it should be. However, war is a tough pill to swallow. Regardless of the name designation, "Iraqi Freedom," or "Operation New Dawn," as the accolades in Iraq are now designated; US forces are still being killed in combat. If anything, this new so called scaled back version restricts those engulfed in combat from resources and tactics. If there is a pull out, great; but not a half-cocked effort to appease voters in an election. They must think we are dumb? Perhaps, many are if they are willing to swallow that dog and pony show displayed in the news on August 19th. Thanks for the reply!

[edit on 23-8-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
yea the media is somewhat right the combat troops are for the most part out of Iraq. Leaving behind essential personnel to run the military bases. IE QRF (Quick Response Force aka guarding outside perimeter) security forces (guarding the base) maintainers, fuel guys, and pilots etc etc. And a few special forces here and there just in case.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by Reign02]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

www.nydailynews.com...

here is something about the 90,000 private contractors in Iraq

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

Hey, I was not preaching to YOU.

I was preaching to the choir.

War is WAR!

Sooner or later, the IDIOTS in our midst have to realize this. We did NOT go into Iraq to protect the Iraqi's. No MATTER what the feel good asshats want us to believe. We went to war in Iraq to keep the war in Iraq. Period.

Is that justifiable? To keep the asshats out of OUR country? Why not just shut down the asshats from coming here? OHHHHHHHH, I forgot, that would infringe on those that PROFIT from international travel!

My mistake. I thought our government WAS MEANT to protect US, from the infringement of our rights. My mistake, now I know, it is to further International Economics!, nothing to do with THIS COUNTRY!

Sorry, I am so sick and TIRED of globalization!

The excuse they use to kill and to further any and ALL agendas.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Texcin

Thanks for the link! It looks like the US has taken the step in hiring mercenaries to do it's nation building? That number is truly frightening and who knows how much mischief those contractors are going to get into over there? We have seen with Blackwater AKA Xe how they operate and who they answer to. As it stands now, it seems they answer to no one but that mighty dollar? Blackwater has been accused of murders, illegal arms trafficking, accounting irregularities, and a whole string of violations. Moreover, it seems bags full of cash thrown at Congress and the US government can get them out of any legal pickle?

Blackwater Reaches Deal on U.S. Export Violations

The private security company formerly called Blackwater Worldwide, long plagued by accusations of impropriety, has reached an agreement with the State Department for the company to pay $42 million in fines for hundreds of violations of United States export control regulations.

The violations included illegal weapons exports to Afghanistan, making unauthorized proposals to train troops in south Sudan and providing sniper training for Taiwanese police officers, according to company and government officials familiar with the deal.

What if some of the these contractors want to moonlight as insurgents or sub contract their business to political entities who need muscles in Iraq's Wild West democracy? The lack of transparency and accountability is what I fear, and now it seems the country is going to flooded with them? This is a disparaging development, and I find it ludicrous that US foreign policy would rely on these war profiteers. I suppose they will do a heck of a lot of good keeping Iraq destabilized, and their money stream flowing?

[edit on 24-8-2010 by Jakes51]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Somebody clearly did not give the few remaining insurgent groups the memo that combat was over.

Yet somehow, this is distorted into being about American lies and propaganda.

new topics

top topics

join