It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rock star Nugent fined for baiting deer on TV show

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Rock star Nugent fined for baiting deer on TV show

www.appeal-democrat.com

Rock star and gun rights advocate Ted Nugent was fined $1,750 Friday in Yuba County Superior Court after pleading no contest to a charge of baiting deer on his hunting show "Spirit of the Wild."

Yuba City attorney Jack Kopp, representing Theodore Anthony Nugent, entered the plea to Department of Fish and Game charges of baiting deer and not having a deer tag "countersigned" at the closest possible location, said Deputy District Attorney John Vacek.

Nugent, who did not appear in court, also illegally shot an immature buck on the show but was not charged, according to Fish and Game.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
what an idiot. i've never respected ol' ted. used to love his music back in the day. stranglehold and the great white buffalo were awesome.
my opinion changed when i heard him in an interview basically say the we should lock up anybody for so much as a joint.
i think he has good intentions in some ways, but his extremism isn't hard to understand.
this story is just stupidity, it's the great white hunter vs. a deer, and the guy's got to cheat and pbreak the law in order to kill something on camera.
pathetic really.

www.appeal-democrat.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Only reason this even rated an article on it is because its Nugent and not your average hunter; I know plenty who just happen to leave piles of apples out on their property for the deer to enjoy during the off season. Unfortunately I suspect baiting is very common on most hunting television programs in order to get the deer in to a specific area where the camera crew can film the takedown.

My concern with this from a hunters POV is that while yes its against the law (in many localities from what I've heard) to put out obvious bait for deer its considered completely acceptable to plant custom food crops on your hunting property for the deer under the guise of "wildlife management." From where I'm sitting it doesn't seem any different than the previously mentioned pile of apples if the deer are attracted to it all the same.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I just lost a whole lot of respect for the man.

He loves to go around telling everyone what a master woodsmen he is and how skillfull he is with a bow , Well let me tell you, if I put up some salt licks I dont think it would be that hard for me to have the success he does.

And taking an immature animal is not just poor sportsmanship it is animal cruelty in My opinion.

Thanks for the post OP

~meathead

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Mike Stivic]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
"Spirit of the Wild" and baiting do not go together.

There's nothing in the sporting spirit that includes baiting of land animals... Unless you're hungry that is - But we're not talking survival here.

As for the spike-horn? Maybe Ted thought it was a Great White Buffalo.

What a bonehead.

peace

Edit =

[edit on 18-8-2010 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

i agree a little bit, but this guy just went over the top.
it wasn't just a baiting issue.

Two deer were killed after being baited, said Vacek. Moore and Patterson also were represented by Kopp and did not appear in court. Moore, who pleaded no contest to possessing an animal illegally, was fined $700. Patterson was fined $1,225. Judge James F. Dawson ordered all three men to pay the fines by Oct. 1. Nugent was originally facing a charge of killing a "spike" — an immature buck — on the program, but the charge was dropped during negotiations between his attorney and the Yuba County District Attorney's Office, said Foy. A spike is a deer with two antlers that have not yet "forked," Foy said.

did he kill the spike intentioally?
no good hunter on the planet couldn't tell the difference.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by rubbertramp]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
So what if he had laid in wait at a natural salt lick, or a fresh field of clovers? Would that still be unacceptable?

I don't know about Cali, but TX has a huge deer problem. Baiting them is legal and used commonly. Just cause you throw out some corn doesn't mean you're shooting fish in a barrel.
And lol @ Cali outlawing shooting 'spikes'. Cali's so whack.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Depending on the property and the state baiting laws can vary greatly.

That said I'd never shoot a baited deer. I'd sooner crack a guy using bait over the head with my rifle.

Baiting is like farming. Defeats the whole purpose and steals that much nature from the animal.

Finding the runs and the food sources and the hours of travel are all part of the hunting process.

Baiting and waiting is just as bad as buying a pound of ground miscellaneous at the supermarket.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

He loves to go around telling everyone what a master woodsmen he is and how skillfull he is with a bow , Well let me tell you, if I put up some salt licks I dont think it would be that hard for me to have the success he does.

Or deer carrots.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Romans 10:9

Actually a lot of places don't encourage the taking of spikes, here in Virginia its gaining ground with the idea being that by not taking spike bucks they live an additional year and can develop a more substantial rack making them not only a better deer for those hunting for meat but also better trophies for those going for the wall hanging bucks.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
This does not really surprise me. Ted has a place up in Michigan where people can go to hunt. It's basically canned hunting, where the animal is released from a cage and somebody can go "hunt" it. He's known to be quite a jerk up in Concord and surrounding areas.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

So what if he had laid in wait at a natural salt lick, or a fresh field of clovers? Would that still be unacceptable?

in my opinion, yes. springs in a dry area are one one of my favorite spots.
i agree in the stupidity of some laws, but like ted obviously, one needs to pay for a crime. this is still america, whether we agree or not.

once many years ago, i almost got in big trouble for hunting on my own private property.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

In Ga you cant hunt within sight or 200 yards of bait trust me I know But you can set on the edge of a food plot and take deer allday long

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

i really don't like 'game farms'. it takes the sport out of it.
nothing but a bunch of lazy urbanites who want a head to hang on the wall, and the stories about the hunt to go along.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
reply to post by Skid Mark

i really don't like 'game farms'. it takes the sport out of it.
nothing but a bunch of lazy urbanites who want a head to hang on the wall, and the stories about the hunt to go along.

I can just imagine their "hunt stories."

'So I paid my fee and we were taken out to our stand by some guy in a golf cart. Once we were there they radioed out to us that the feeders would be run. Sure enough the feeders in front of our stand let the pellets fly and 5 or 6 nice deer came walking over and started feeding heads down directly in front of us.'

Now that's a "hunting" story any urban weekend warrior can be proud of.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

lol, but you forgot all the adventurous parts. like battling those mosquitos the size of small birds.
getting the escalade stuck in the mud.
the rain storm they had to suffer through etc.....

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

I thought once mud touched the escalade it became a "war" story?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Please oh great deer hunter of yore, how do you tell the difference between a buck and a doe? The horns right there little fella.

As for baiting, depends on where you are if baiting is legal or not.

Also, you can feed deer to a certain point before the season and then not.

Sorry, is there a shortage of deer or something?

The reason this is hitting the news stands has nothing to do with Ted the hunter or Ted the singer, it has to do with Ted the conservative. I can imagine this to be running balls out til the elections.

edit to add-since this is awhile back, We use to have an OLD oldsmobile with like 1/4 thick steel in the front. Mmmm, lots and lots of back strap when I was younger.

Also, if running low on funds and food, I would rather eat from nature's supermarket than grovel from my government. Have done it before, I am sure I will do it again.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by saltheart foamfollower]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
even besides the game farms, many times i've personally seen what i consider rudeness by hunters.
when i was living in a cabin on top of a mountain in montana, i'd find gut piles in my road, i'd find bull elk with the head, backstrap and hind quarters gone, the rest just sitting there in the middle of the road.
i shot out a guys tires once for shooting out the window in my travel trailer.
after i had him on the ground at gun point, he said he was following the running deer through his scope and didn't see the trailer.
i could go on, but this type of thing is just pure rudeness.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower

Please oh great deer hunter of yore, how do you tell the difference between a buck and a doe? The horns right there little fella.

As for baiting, depends on where you are if baiting is legal or not.

Also, you can feed deer to a certain point before the season and then not.

Sorry, is there a shortage of deer or something?

The reason this is hitting the news stands has nothing to do with Ted the hunter or Ted the singer, it has to do with Ted the conservative. I can imagine this to be running balls out til the elections.

edit to add-since this is awhile back, We use to have an OLD oldsmobile with like 1/4 thick steel in the front. Mmmm, lots and lots of back strap when I was younger.

Also, if running low on funds and food, I would rather eat from nature's supermarket than grovel from my government. Have done it before, I am sure I will do it again.

[edit on 18-8-2010 by saltheart foamfollower]

is this intended for me to answer?
since it would seem your classifying me as a liberal for posting this, your obviously clueless, and labeling me after reading a couple of posts.
seriously, are you interested in what i think?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join