It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Social Engineering] Eureka + Warehouse 13 "Crossover"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Source: en.wikipedia.org...

During the crossover event with Warehouse 13, Fargo was contacted by Mrs. Frederic to go to the Warehouse and update their antiquated computer system. While there, he spent extensive time with their resident teenage tech genius, Claudia Donovan, where it became obvious that he had developed a crush on her. He seemed hopeful of a potential relationship with Claudia when she said that she wished she had a guy like him in her life that she did not have to lie to about her job, but then was visibly upset after she kissed him but then explained that while she was kissing him, she was thinking of her boyfriend, Todd.

In Season 4's "Crossing Over", Claudia came to Eureka to check out the city and where Fargo worked. Upon being asked, she tells Fargo that she and Todd broke up. Fargo, obviously interested in Claudia, used this news to his advantage to get her interested in him. Soon after, they found themselves in the middle of a minefield with Claudia on top of him in a romantic moment. Carter eventually comes along to save them both from the mines by defusing them.

Claudia eventually leaves the city with a kiss to Fargo. Their relationship status in the series is currently unknown.

Eureka:
I would assume "Douglas Fargo" the Director of a Government/Military highly classified entity would at least be 18 years of age.

Warehouse 13:
The show says that Claudia "not a girl anymore", "you're a woman because you're over 16". They also hint she still isn't 18 or older.

So in effect you are left to believe a legal adult, is engaging in sexual activity with a "woman" that would be illegal in most states and require Mr. Fargo to register as a sex offender.

But it's a good thing in the show! *thumbs up*

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   
HOLY qwe43216535734635

some people are just clueless

just stop man, both look like they are the same age, and thats what matters

its not abuse, and they were not engaged in sexual activity, so I think they would be fine

I am laughing here ... this is just madness ... sue them

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I have been following both shows this season, but I don't see where you get the impression that Claudia is under 18. Sure she seems like early twenties, but younger than 18? Where do they say that? And how is kissing a sex act anyway? Surely when you kiss your mother you aren't performing an incestuous act?

[edit on 14/8/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mryanbrown

So in effect you are left to believe a legal adult, is engaging in sexual activity with a "woman" that would be illegal in most states and require Mr. Fargo to register as a sex offender.

But it's a good thing in the show! *thumbs up*

statutory law isnt like that...

most states concider over 16 legal

some state take the age of the 'offending' adult into account and alot of those say that if the adult is within 3 years of the minor, its ok

here is a breakdown of law by state...

www.cga.ct.gov...

from what I knew of statutory law, once the minor is at a certain age, the state will not press charges, but until the 18th birthday, the minors parents are able to...

then again, I am not a lawyer...

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I'll just skip this one.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Pretty sure I never tackled my mother and made out.

So you guys think it's okay for an adult character to kiss an underage character?

[edit on 15-8-2010 by mryanbrown]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mryanbrown

You didn't say where the show(s) said her age anyway. I never thought she was underage to begin with...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

It doesn't, no resources list either ages.

I'm only inferring that Fargo must be at least 18 to be the Directory of a highly classified research institute.

And regarding the dialog from one of the latest episodes...

"you're not a girl anymore", "you're a woman because you're over 16".

I simply enjoy pointing out how media is pushing the acceptance of once socially unacceptable situations. Less and less things are taboo.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Since you even admit that you are only inferring the character's age by a line that referred more to her lack of dating (not her actual age) and the fact that Artie (the one who said that) knew her and her brother "back when" -- I would say he meant "You're not 16, like you were when I first met you". Like "You're not the little girl I once knew anymore."
Okay? And I am getting the feeling that you more enjoy "creating" an issue where there really isn't one instead of:

I simply enjoy pointing out how media is pushing the acceptance of once socially unacceptable situations. Less and less things are taboo.

[edit on 15/8/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Still pretty confident she's under 18 and he's over 18.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Fine. You keep chasing that "conspiracy".

I have already posted three times more than I ever ever should have about "who kissed who" on a TV show. Holy crap, next thing you know I'll be talking about some soap opera at the nearest beauty salon...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mryanbrown

if you look throught history, you will find that its been accepted much much much longer than it has been unaccepted.

'In the twelfth century Gratian, who was the influential founder of Canon law in medieval Europe, accepted age of puberty for marriage to be between 12 and 14 but acknowledged consent to be meaningful if the children were older than seven. There were authorities that said that consent could take place earlier. Marriage would then be valid as long as neither of the two parties annulled the marital agreement before reaching puberty, or if they had already consummated the marriage. It should be noted that Judges honored marriages based on mutual consent at ages younger than seven, in spite of what Gratian had said; There are recorded marriages of two and three year olds.[2]

The American colonies followed the English tradition, and the law was more of a guide. For example, Mary Hathaway (Virginia, 1689) was only nine when she was married to William Williams. Sir Edward Coke (England, 17 century) made it clear that "the marriage of girls under twelve was normal, and the age at which a girl who was a wife was eligible for a dower from her husband's estate was nine even though her husband be only four years old."[2]

Social (and the resulting legal) attitudes toward the appropriate age of consent have drifted upwards in modern times. For example, while ages from 10 to 13 were typically acceptable in western countries during the mid-19th century,[1] the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century were marked by changing attitudes towards sexuality, childhood and adolescence, resulting in raising the ages of consent.[3]'

en.wikipedia.org...

just because you were taught that it is taboo, doesn't mean everyone everywhere has always felt that way...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kalisdad

Completely true! But for a brief time society evolved away from it. I'm not sure where or how, but it's only taken place in the last 80 or so years.

And now media is pushing people back towards it. But for different reasons.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
In the first season when Claudia kidnaps Artie, the flashbacks of her and her brother take place 12 years earlier. She appeared to be about 6-7 then, so that puts her around 18-19.

Not that it matters, this thread is ridiculous.

Edit to add this. Age:19

[edit on 8/15/10 by Magnivea]

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It sounds like your saying that if 2 people are dating, and there is a 2 or 3 year age difference, that's illegal, or wrong? If the girl is 17 and the guy is 19 or 20, how is there be anything wrong with that?

If a couple has been together since she was 14 and he was 16, are they supposed to break up when he turns 18, because she's under 18 and he's over 18? That's just silly.

In Canada, I believe the age of consent is legally around 14 or 15, and there has to be an age difference of 5 years or more for charges to be filed by anyone.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
How about this its just a show
no laws or rules are broken because it isnt the real wordl. And if we want to compare it to the real world they can just be in an Alternate reality where things like this is ok

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
OP Did you not watch last season? She dropped out of college because she had a little bit of a hospital stay.

My guess she is currently 22.

::palmforehead::

Really?! Fargo is in charge?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Yeah he is, they had a time traveling fiasco.

And time traveling ate my second line.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

So you guys think it's okay for an adult character to kiss an underage character?

Yes, if there is an acceptable age difference (3-4 years?). To have just one arbitrary number like 18 or 16 years is absurd and wrong - love does not work like that.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I'm just pissed that they have now dragged Warehouse 13 into Eureka's alternate time line. So what happens if they manage to "fix" the timeline on Eureka, how will that impact WH13? Things could instantly change, undoing things that happened since the timeline became fractured, for example, Macphearson could be alive again, HG Wells could not be released, etc.

Of course, if you believe in M-theory, the alternate timeline would continue even if the presently misplaced folks went back to their correct timeline. But still, we have to assume that our view of their universe would follow them, and we would still see the "changes" undone when they returned to their correct time.

Argh! Crossover shows are kind of cool, but not when spacetime is ruptured!

EDIT: PS. Claudia is 19 and I would guess that Fargo is ~21, so their "relationship" is legal.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by Blazer]

new topics

top topics

join