It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I want to have a festival with a cause

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I want to have a music festival with a cause! I have gone to a few and although the music and people are great, it is missing something and that is a good cause! I'd like to have a section dedicated to new green technologies. This would be more than a music festival...

I'd also like to have an ATS tent or something similar, with a few posters on answering questions or giving some presentations. Have a few members walk around handing out fliers! Is this something that could be worked out with ATS management?

I feel like if marketed correctly it could bring in 100,000 people which hopefully could turn into 100,000 signatures or dollars for a good cause (zero point energy research?) I've already talked to a few bands on tour now about coming and they are all about a festival with a "cause" as well.

What do you think ATS?

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well I think that's a very good idea you have, but also a very hard thing to generate. It would indeed cost alot of money and time, and hard to get so many ATS members together. But like I said it is a good idea, and it would be very cool to see something like that come together!

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

I agree, it is a daunting task but I think my plan could persuade many people to invest/donate. Here are some things I'd like to do with it, I want to make this as public as possible because maybe we will be able to collectively get this started!

-4-6 music stages, consisting of jam bands, electronic, foreign music, funk, rock, anything with good vibes really! No gangsta rap/pop culture.

-An ecodome "market place" that will sell all your typical festival foods, vegetarian meals, standard "hippy goods" (tapestries, tie dies, glass, rocks, ect ect) and house any other "green" technologies that would otherwise have to be indoors...

-A political activation "strip"...have a whole bunch of booths set up for people to sign petitions for good causes. Also in that strip I'd like to have the ATS strip set up here with fun interactive ways to bring in the general public to the conspiracy scene, and show we aren't all crazy!

-Think tanks! This goes great with the crowd we would hopefully bring in, make it interactive as well. Perhaps have little cheap remotes where people can like or dislike an idea.

-Spiritual centers! Mass meditation classes, yoga, insights from respected spiritual pioneers...

-Technology demonstrations, this would be a great opportunity for people to showcase technology that can help the world. It would be nice to have some "Tesla-esque" demostrations that are really going to "Wow" people!

Like I said, a lot of the independent festival bands have already expressed some interest to me doing something for a cause. Being able to combine many different causes would ultimately give much more selection in who is coming, and will attract others who want change!

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

Don't know where you live or if this is viable and this festival doesn't have a specific cause but it's certainly more in tune with the free festivals of yesteryear and is managed and ran with integrity whilst being great fun with fantastic bands.

Going to miss it this year but intend to be there next year.

www.beautifuldays.org...

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Just be careful one of the big promotors doesn't steal your idea.

I think "zero point energy research" is too nebulous and unknown to most people to bring in that many folks. But you might make it work.

Personally, I'd pick something that would hook in unemployed youth. Youth unemployment is at the highest rate ever right now, and there are a lot of talented young people sitting around not utilizing their skills. Something like "show the world what you can do," where everyone creates and brings something they are really passionate about...could be a science project, art, some new scheme, whatever. Or you base it around starting an alternate youth economy. "They won't hire us? OK, let's swap and hire each other. I'll do XYZ for you free if you do ABC for me free."

In addition to all the music, freak-show atmosphere, etc., you could also have tents with differerent themes where things are discussed in a more serious way...get some semi-obsucre authors you like interested, maybe they could give speeches or moterate discussions, etc.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Good ideas and insights

I think a big way to get people out is to say "Hey look at California, they just legalized pot, now its time for the East coast to get started", invite NORML out

The thing with unemployed youth is that they dont have much money lol. It would be hard to get a lot of youths out that dont have the money to get a ticket, although I'd like tickets to be as cheap as possible. As long as I come out even I am not concerned about making a buck off this.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Yes I'm quite far from that, but it does look like a great time.

Is it more of a "hippy" crowd or more of a "rave" crowd

[edit on 16-8-2010 by kyle43]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

My band has played at a couple of these "green" festivals.

They are actually quite common.

The one in Taos has a stage completely solar powered.
www.solarmusicfest.com...

When and where? We just love to play!

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Awesome!!! Never heard of that one before! Might have to make a trip down for it. Its very similar for what I want to do, but mix as many schools of thought together.

Do you have a myspace I could listen to your stuff?

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyle43

Do you have a myspace I could listen to your stuff?

No myspace but if you click on the blue letters in my signature that says "my music" you can get a taste of one of the bands I play with.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

Quite the eclectic mixture of old punks, crusty's, hippy's, rave and dance, folk etc.

And it's more or less free of all the corporate hype and bollocks that can detract from 'major' festivals.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Do you have any experience of organising a festival? I know a few people who have and it is a lot of hard work! The sheer amount of beurocracy (in the UK at least) is un-believable and raising money is as bad if not worse!

My friends put on a festival and the first year was ok, they made a loss but not too bad. Next year the local parish council kicked up a fuss so the field was not available. After securing another venue, it was called off for other reasons like improper emergency vehicle access and so on. The red tape is endless, and that was just a small one (3000 capacity).

There is a great small festival near me called Beathereder. They had 7000 in this year, after 10 years of building it up from a rave in some trees.

I'm not trying to put a downer on this, but putting on a festival is a massive commitment! You've gotta know what your doing, especially if you want to attract investors!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by March of the Fire Ants

None at all

But I do know that a great plan is the first start. I have researched the permits needed, talent promoters, done some site scouting, looked into what needs to be done to set the stage up, security, vending.

If I can put together a good visual presentation to show potential investors I think I'll do ok. I have also been meeting a lot of promoters, venders, bands, security at the ones I have gone to and they all think its a good idea and told me to get in contact when I have something more concrete.

The hardest part I think is founding a township that will allow it. Not just allow, but help it as well. Getting the town on board so they can make a little bit extra cash will go a long way.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Well good luck to you mate, hopefully there's less red tape for stuff like this is in the US!

I would also reccomend getting a small dedicated team to help you organise, and then a bigger team of friends to help out as the date approaches!

Best way to keep the locals happy is to be far enough away to not be heard but close enough that punters will make the trip to spend money!

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by March of the Fire Ants

Yes in the US it is much easier. I could have one in my county easily, but with no more than 5,000 people. It really is just dependent on the state and town regulations.

I think another way to keep the locals happy is to give them work. Selling food, fencing, security, landscaping...

new topics

top topics

join