It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another step closer for the singularity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

University of Calgary succeeds in building a neurochip out of silicon, human brain cells

Link

Yet another step closer, to the inevitable. The question is, when the time comes, would you modify your body to become transhuman or not ?

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Red_xi]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I certainly would, it would be amazing and our knowledge about the universe would grow exponentially.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I agree. There will come a point where we have to merge, to keep up with the growth of technology. Imagine what would be possible, if we were to increase out intelligence by a million fold.
The idea of becoming a hive mind, is a scary one, none the less. You have to wonder what protection would be in place, to stop AI controlling the world ?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I think you should be careful what you wish for. There might come a day when everyone is chipped just to be able to participate in society and not towing the line is no longer an issue. ie nowhere to run nowhere to hide.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Absolutely!

Humans have always tried to improve everything, be it the intellectual aspect or physical aspect. The next step is obvioulsy to go beyond where the natural evolution could take us.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tallboy12
I think you should be careful what you wish for. There might come a day when everyone is chipped just to be able to participate in society and not towing the line is no longer an issue. ie nowhere to run nowhere to hide.

I did not assume this integration would have anything to do with "big brother". It can be done correctly and not allow for such a things, it should be done correctly.

I am all for these extensions, but am also all against any breach in personal freedom or privacy.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Very, very interesting.
As usual, ignored largley by the MSM and ATS readers in favor of BS!
Who knows where this will all lead, the law of unintended consequence will certainly be in full swing. Great find, deserves S&F!!!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I wont. Whether it aids in our "evolution" is an opinion, I happen to feel it is not about upgrading the body, but enhancing the mind. I feel merging with machine sets you up to be able to be controlled. Since history has shown that "man" has an undeniable need to control others, TPTB will use this technology to put a grip further on the masses. Hey more power to you if you want to do it. I just won't be part of it.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I will like to see the experimenters who will eventually get these "implants"

Will they act different? Remain the same?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I posted this in a similar thread and thought it would be appropriate to post in this one as well:

www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=9393357#pid9393357

I've always thought a robotic hand would be cool, not the ones in use now, but one that looks similar to a real hand. Maybe some type of improved vision, and even a brain processor to take things in 100 times faster and some gigs for memory. But when it comes to brain enhancements I would want the ability to solely control what goes on with my enhancements. If they shut off or go haywire I could simply run things with my physical brain.

Maybe even a new network of nerves and pain receptors as well.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
I will like to see the experimenters who will eventually get these "implants"

Will they act different? Remain the same?

Ofcourse they won't act the same.

But that doesn't make it a bad thing, people from the 1950s act differently from people today.

Change is a good thing, it's progress.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I believe you are misinterpreting what I am trying to put out
I am all for progress, but we need tons and I mean TONS of clinical trials, and tons of in depth research if this is going to succeed in the future. Think about it, are we honestly just going to put stuff into our brain; that thing in our head that produces everything we see around us. I would be very skeptical about putting something into my head, unless it was a life and death situation. Progress yes, but we need to think of the serious problems that can arise from this. This is our brain remember, not some kind of windows operating system

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I would be very skeptical about putting something into my head, unless it was a life and death situation.

Even life and death situation would not provoke me to mess around with this. Almost assuredly this is how they will sell it to people who are on the fence. They will suggest this is the only way to immortality. In fact I am pretty certain this is what they will do.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Well theres nothing stopping anybody from reading a book and learning what they need to know... Although, it'll be funny to 'download' info direct to your mellon, sort of like in the Matrix films.

Imagine linking up to someone else by bluetooth/wi-fi. Lol.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
That is exactly the problem. There is no promise what so ever that you will have full control of your actions, once you connect to the hive mind. We would essentially become one single entity, so how would privacy be protected.

The problem that we have, is that computers at some point, and very soon, are going to surpass human intelligence. Once that happens they will redesign themselves at an infinite rate. A normal unmodified human, just wouldn't be able to grasp anything the machine's produce.
So what happens when the machine decides that it doesn't need us any more. Humans would just become an obstacle to resources.

This sounds like skynet I know, but people need to grasp that this is a situation, that IS going to happen, whether they like it or not. It is a question of when.

• We will have the requisite hardware to emulate human intelligence with supercomputers by the end of this decade and with personal-computer-size devices by the end of the following decade. We will have effective software models of human intelligence by the mid-2020s.
• With both the hardware and software needed to fully emulate human intelligence, we can expect computers to pass the Turing test, indicating intelligence indistinguishable from that of biological humans, by the end of the 2020s.30
(Ray kurzweil)

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I believe you are misinterpreting what I am trying to put out
I am all for progress, but we need tons and I mean TONS of clinical trials, and tons of in depth research if this is going to succeed in the future. Think about it, are we honestly just going to put stuff into our brain; that thing in our head that produces everything we see around us. I would be very skeptical about putting something into my head, unless it was a life and death situation. Progress yes, but we need to think of the serious problems that can arise from this. This is our brain remember, not some kind of windows operating system

I know, but you were talking about people being thought of as the same and it changing our personalities, when every 10 years or so our personalities change greatly.

Ofcourse there's going to be trials
they aren't going to just toss a chip in someones brain then be done with it.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Ofcourse there's going to be trials they aren't going to just toss a chip in someones brain then be done with it.

But what if it were to be done via nanobots without your consent ?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Red_xi
reply to post by hippomchippo

Ofcourse there's going to be trials they aren't going to just toss a chip in someones brain then be done with it.

But what if it were to be done via nanobots without your consent ?

That would be an example of a scientific dictatorship.
2nd line

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Dont get to carried away guys, look what can happen,

www.youtube.com...

..........go easy on your EBES.........

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

That would be an example of a scientific dictatorship. 2nd line

Isn't this also the control that TPTB ultimately want ? This kind of human enhancement would also allow us to live longer, possibly as long as we want. TPTB would become like god's to the average man.

This was one of the reasons for creating this place. Funded by Google and NASA I believe.

I recommend reading this post on that subject

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join