It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenwich Mean Time is being challenged by a new clock being built in Mecca

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The supremacy of Greenwich Mean Time is being challenged by a gargantuan new clock being built in Mecca, by which the world’s 1.5 billion Muslims could soon be setting their watches.

Due to start ticking on Thursday as the faithful begin fasting during the month of Ramadan, the timepiece sits atop the Royal Mecca Clock Tower which dominates Islam’s holiest city.

Islamic scholars hope the clock’s influence will stretch far further than the sands of Saudi Arabia, as part of a plan for Mecca to eclipse the Greenwich Observatory as the “true centre of the earth”.

I am all for religious tolerance, but this just has me flashing back to the Galileo. The first thing I thought of when I read the article was this is just another way to try and force people into accepting Muslim law, which I for one never will.

As Mohammed al-Arkubi, manager of one of the hotels in the complex, put it: "Putting Mecca time in the face of Greenwich Mean Time. This is the goal." According to Yusuf al-Qaradawi, an Egyptian cleric known around the Muslim world for his popular television show "Sharia and Life", Mecca has a greater claim to being the prime meridian because it is "in perfect alignment with the magnetic north."

But not all scientist agree.

Western scientists have challenged such assertions, noting that the Magnetic North Pole is in actual fact on a line of longitude that passes through Canada, the United States, Mexico and Antarctica.

Source

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
muslims are just pathetic.
but they have the right to dream, so let them dream.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
How in the world is this forcing you to accept Muslim law. For Christ sakes, get real. It's a clock. I can wite a computer program and hope the whole world buys it but that hardly is forcing you to buy it.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProdigalSon

Pathetic for building a clock? Good lord is there no end to your hate?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
It won't make a difference in application at all unless the time on either clock is deliberately set to oppose the other by a quantifiable amount.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Yawn yawn YAWN!!!!!!

If it were the Vatican building the clock would anyone give a sh*t?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I wonder if anyone realizes how unnatural greenwich mean time and time zones are......these were created to make train travel easier and in a way it also is a form of mind control.......no matter who's clock it is. I applaud the muslims for getting off the clock but by making their own they could lead to EVERYONE on earth wanting to be the center of time. this story reminds me of Babel only its 'time' not languages.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Wouldn't it make more sense for the Muslims to make Mecca the site of their own date line, versus the currently accepted International Date Line?

Then they could say that the Earth's day begins in Mecca.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Why do they need a new clock?
Where I live, I never seen a moslim come in time to an appointment or whenever a date or time was set.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

This comment just shows how ignorant and un-educated you are. What's so pathetic about the plan they are trying to propose to the world. It does make more sense than the Greenwich observatory time. How about you get off ATS and go watch some more Fox news.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by tokyodynamite]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel

no , this hate will never end, you see that clock is also a missile launch pad and also has a power to control every ones mind and its been proven that its much more powerful than HAARP.

now do you know why this hate will never end?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by IandEye
I wonder if anyone realizes how unnatural greenwich mean time and time zones are......these were created to make train travel easier and in a way it also is a form of mind control...

What the hell is that supposed to mean? The British Empire was a premier seafaring nation and it was in bad need of uniform time measurement which is 100% critical to its navigation. They offered a then unheard sum of money of 50,000 pounds for inventors who come up with a clock precise enough to circumnavigate the globe, and it's not a small feat. These timepieces are now on display at Greenwich.

The fact that it was made the standard time in Western civilization only speaks to excellence of British astronomers and watchmakers. There is nothing exceptional about the location of the Greenwich meridian. The imaginary line was drawn right under the telescope used to calibrate time to celestial bodies.

I applaud the muslims for getting off the clock but by making their own they could lead to EVERYONE on earth wanting to be the center of time. this story reminds me of Babel only its 'time' not languages.

Oh, that's about as naive as it will possibly get. Sure enough they will build a fancy clock. Now guess how they will set it... That's right, they'll set it to the atomic time kept in the West, which is ultimately tied to GMT. Sheesh.

It's like re-branding a piece of jewelry and pretending you are a master artisan.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel

maybe you didn't read well enough the thread.

Islamic scholars hope the clock’s influence will stretch far further than the sands of Saudi Arabia, as part of a plan for Mecca to eclipse the Greenwich Observatory as the “true centre of the earth”.

that is what sounds pathetic, their intention not the clock itself.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DutchBigBoy

yes you are right in some way , i mean if im in london then i will meet people over there london time , but this clock is another symbol to create another TIME ZONE for this part of the world ,fair enough isn't it?

just look at it like it's another Big Ben but in the sahara

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ProdigalSon

Your reply is filled with utter nonsense to say the very least...

And for everyone's information, as a Muslim myself, don't think we would change our clocks, maybe some will, but we even have different months and dates, but most of us go with the gregorian calender, this only put's a second clock for us, it won't change anything for us, 1.5 billion Muslims won't change there life over a second clock, it mostly just gives a sense of Islamic time.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
How will this forcing you to accept "muslim law"? How does it remind you of Galileo?

How is this a threat to anyone at all? Is GMT threatened by CEST? or EST? The day starts at 12am wherever you are. What difference does it make if that time is considered GMT+3 or Mecca Standard Time 0?

I mean, heck, there is scare-mongering, and then there is something else....

Now it is an entirely different matter as to whether Mecca will be successful in it's endeavour anyhow. As mentioned before, time is a wholly subjective thing. All that really matters is being consistent, and being a "night time" at night where you are, and a "day time" during the day wherever you are. Once again, what difference does it make to whether it is GMT+3 or MST+0 where you are, when the actual time is EXACTLY the same?

PS: I don't know if you realise it or not, Prodigal, but as current world maps go, Mecca (or Saudi Arabia, at least) is kinda the centre.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by babloyi]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by tokyodynamite

This comment just shows how ignorant and un-educated you are. What's so pathetic about the plan they are trying to propose to the world. It does make more sense than the Greenwich observatory time. How about you get off ATS and go watch some more Fox news.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by tokyodynamite]

read the post i made above.
why does it make more sense to have the 0 meridian in mecca and not in greenwitch?

sure mate, for not having sympathy for the muslim dream of an islamic world i am indeed ignorant and un-educated.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Once upon a time, there was more than one meridian. Greenwich won the vote. As has been stated in many books, due to the centre of the greatest land mass on the globe, the meridian should run through Cario, in fact through the pyramids.

The fact is, that due to western influence, a western country was voted as the prime.
If the Muslim world wants their own, let them have it. It will change nothing and I certainly hope those British Muslims, who are just as British as I, will still be proud to use Greenwich as their prime.

Ranting a bit there but I hope you get the picture.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr UAE
reply to post by DutchBigBoy

yes you are right in some way , i mean if im in london then i will meet people over there london time , but this clock is another symbol to create another TIME ZONE for this part of the world ,fair enough isn't it?

just look at it like it's another Big Ben but in the sahara

Oh, I see. They're going to also pick up Mecca and move it to Africa. Mecca is not in any desert. It gets 3.3 inches of rain/year. Niger, which is in the Sahara averages none.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join