It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House passes $600 million border security bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

The House of Representatives approved $600 million in emergency funding Tuesday to help secure the U.S.-Mexico border.

The measure, which passed in a voice vote, will now advance to the Senate for final congressional approval before being signed into law by President Obama.
Among other things, the bill provides for roughly 1,500 new law enforcement agents, new unmanned aerial vehicles, new forwarding operating bases and $14 million in new communications equipment.

The measure has attracted strong Democratic and Republican support. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano praised the plan last week, saying it would "add important, permanent resources to continue bolstering security on our Southwest border."

The bill is funded in part by imposing higher fees on personnel companies that bring foreign workers into the United States.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

More law enforcement. This should be great news for many people in the USA. Crank up the money printing presses

[edit on 8/10/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

All I can say is at least the money is going to help Americans and not foreign countries. While I am against a majority of spending initiatives, spending the money at home is the best thing that can be done. If we decided to not reduce our military budgets and instead print money to bring the troops home and build military bases in the states I would not be opposed. At least Americans would then benefit from the tax dollars and resulting inflation over the long run.

We are in a deep hole financially and the right thing to do is spend all money at home and close the borders. I often wonder if it would really matter much how much money was printed if we simply stopped trading with foreign nations. If we put up a fence and stopped the global economy would inflation really matter inside the fence?

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Lets hope this passes the senate and arrives on the prezzes desk asap...without a bunch of "riders" being added to it so that gets hung up on bi-partisan BS.

This is good news, I just wonder why has it taken so long to do something so logical?

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowfoot

Probably the usual...what you mentioned. Sneaking things into bills that make them untenable. It is good news. It's about time.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

while this totallly needed i just dont think its enough to get the job done

there is alot of things to need to be addressed before any good will come of this. most obvious one is immigration reform...

another aspect im concerned about is the financial this country is so broke

with no end to the spending in sight.....

maybe its time that the dea and local law enforcement agencies to instead
of burning weed and start selling the confiscated weed from drug busts to the pharmacies for use as medical marajuana....,,,maybe this will help with the funding shortfalls in so many state and local government agencies and start using the revenue to pay for the border security that way.

or do they do this already?

[edit on 10-8-2010 by neo96]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
With that kind of cheese they can hire a lot of illegal immigrants to build even more border fencing...
Yay!

pS I wonder if they'll slip the amnesty in there on the sly...

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
But wait, what about the DEBT!?!?

Where are all the right wingers SCREAMING how we can't afford anything?

Where are all the right wingers SCREAMING about over taxation?

Oh that's right, this keeps out those awful illegals!

So this spending is ok.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

It's really not all that much money considering how we drop tens of billions here and tens of billions there.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Looks like it might pass today.

Senate Returns Thursday For Border Security Bill

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
With that kind of cheese they can hire a lot of illegal immigrants to build even more border fencing...
Yay!

pS I wonder if they'll slip the amnesty in there on the sly...

Hahaha I was just thinking of the Reno 911 Episode where they went down to build a fence at the border but got too hot and ended up paying some illegals to finish it. Totally politically incorrect but funny.

The US govt is so ridiculous. From one hand they try to slap down states who are trying to deal with the issues before it completely bankrupts and destroys them. Then from the other hand they are like here, we will help secure the border.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
But wait, what about the DEBT!?!?

Where are all the right wingers SCREAMING how we can't afford anything?

Where are all the right wingers SCREAMING about over taxation?

Oh that's right, this keeps out those awful illegals!

So this spending is ok.

Yes, you are 100% CORRECT!!! Right wingers are about to PROVE themselves to be total HYPOCRITES!!!

The RIGHT-WINGERS have been CRYING IN TOTAL ANGER about all the spending going on. Saying it doesnt matter what the CAUSE, good or bad, of what the spending is, its about adding to the DEBT, PERIOD!!! Am I correct so far RIGHT-WINGERS??

Well if you all are NOT HYPOCRITES lets see some complaining here about Washington SPENDING MONEY!!!

WHAT?? No complaints???!!

WHY NOT???

SO STOP WHINING ABOUT SPENDING, AS YOU KNOW IF IT SUITS YOUR AGENDA IT IS TOTALLY GOOD TO SPEND.

Not everyone AGREES with your agenda, and feel that Washington MUST spend money in order CLEAN UP THE REPUBLICANS MESS that we see all around us.

So stop PARADING around like your anger is all about WASHINGTON SPENDING MONEY.

We all KNOW that is NOT the case. This Bill here WILL PROVE WHAT I AM SAYING IS CORRECT!!

(For the record, I DO agree with this Bill. We need to secure our borders. I am both LIBERAL and CONSERVATIVE in some regards. But the conservatives are in fact HIPPOCRATES, and with the majority of their AGENDAS, and ideas, they will DOOM this country.)

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Baloney]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Baloney

Come on, it's not really that simple. If the conservatives vote it down then they are against teachers etc......nice double edged sword, and again, playing the race card is easy when the truth is too hard to accept. Epic Fail.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by adifferentbreed]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

The republicans FLAT-OUT are ANGRY and AGAINST ANY further spending from Washington. ANY SPENDING WHATSOEVER, PERIOD!!!. This is FACT.

They have established already the FACT that they care NOT if the cause is GOOD or not, they do not want ANY more Government spending. FACT!!

Well, if they are NOT LAIRS and HYPOCRITES, then here is their chance to PROVE THEMSELVES that they are not LAIRS and HYPOCRITES.

Well, I am waiting.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This money is going to be wasted just like all the other money that has been given to secure that border since 2001. Furthermore, since when has throwing money at a problem solved it.

Someone ought to do a thread on how much of those homeland security grants have been spent on non-essential items.

Can't wait for those unmanned aerial planes to be slowly moved inward.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Microcosm testing for the drones. The illegal situation provides an easy way to test certain measures right in front of the sheep. There is a reason this is passing. It isnt about money, wrong focus. It isnt about illegals, wrong focus. It isnt about the border, wrong focus.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Baloney

So spending this money to keep illegals out, there by saving how many billions of dollars makes no sense? Hell, the Obama's wasted half of that on Micheles vacation........Again, a double edged sword........and if you think conservatives have exclusive rights to the two traits you keep shouting about, you are saddly delusional.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

So spending this money to keep illegals out, there

The purpose is not to keep illegals out. If this was the case, they would be reforming the visa process as well. About 50% of illegals come in this way.

This money is to quiet the critics about the violence on the border and election votes.

Of course, the violence on the border is due to Mexico's war on drugs of which the US is the main ally. In other words, the US helped create the same violence that they are trying to prevent from spillng over to the US.

The real issue is the war on drugs. Violence will continue no matter how much money they throw at the problem.

As for illegals, it would be a lot cheaper to mandate all employers to use a database to ensure they are hiring legal workers. This would take care of most of the illegals.

Just my opinion my friend.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join