It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anger mounts over Michelle Obama's 5-day Spanish holiday

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
reply to post by nixie_nox

I think you are missing the biggest part of the point here.
Where were you when Bush was clearing brush at his ranch and the moonbats were throwing their hissy fits?

What were the hissy fits over Laura Bush's vacations? I missed those. Michelle is not the president. You cannot compare her to George Bush.

Sure those may have been considered typical Bush vacations but it didn't involve tax payers, passports or 40 close friends.

No, it involved the president. This trip to Spain was Michelle, not Barak.

Why is doubling the number of vacations a Prez and his family is allowed to take okay all of sudden?

Probably the same reason blaming Barak for trips his wife took and comparing her to George Bush instead of Laura Bush makes sense to some of you.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
And incredibly, the Obamas are planning two more vacations in the next month.:shk:

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Adevoc Satanae

Geez, looks like you are missing the main point as well, yet you still managed to somehow make the point for me. No one griped about Laura Bush because she didn't vacation with 40 pals on our dime.

It's not that people are complaining about the wookie taking a vacation, either with or without her hubbie, people are complaining because she took her pals and WE got stuck with the whopping tab.

How can anyone defend that?

The ironic flip side to this story is maybe Obama vacations aren't so bad after all because the more vacations they take, the better it is for this country.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Geez, looks like you are missing the main point as well, yet you still managed to somehow make the point for me. No one griped about Laura Bush because she didn't vacation with 40 pals on our dime.

Neither has Michelle Obama. What part of her paying for it with her own money do you not get?

It's not that people are complaining about the wookie taking a vacation, either with or without her hubbie, people are complaining because she took her pals and WE got stuck with the whopping tab.

Who says you got stuck with the tab? If the tab is the only thing bothering you.

Fact: The Bush's spent nearly $10 million in taxpayer money flying back and forth to their estate in Crawford, Texas, and the Bush, Sr.'s seaside compound in Kennebunkport, ME., where the Fist Family retreated for vacations. The Obama trip to Spain reportedly cost $73,000. But CBS forgot to report that contrast.
Source then you are being rather dishonest with yourself.

How can anyone defend that?

Because she can do whatever she wants with her money. Free market, capitalism and all that.

The ironic flip side to this story is maybe Obama vacations aren't so bad after all because the more vacations they take, the better it is for this country.

OK then.

Laura Bush on Vacation

For 15 years, Laura Bush and four female friends have escaped together for a week every summer. They arrived at Mammoth Lakes on July 8, 2001 and a day later came to Tuolumne Meadows Lodge with an entourage of some 25 people, including Secret Service agents, a White House communications team, various aides and several park officials. The group took up about 15 of the 70 cabins at the site.

July 27, 2003 Laura Bush and all her friends arrived at Lake Crescent Lodge in Washington State for a week long vacation in the Olympic National Forest. "I have a group of friends that I grew up with in Midland, Texas, and we hike every summer at a national park," said Mrs. Bush. Yes, she and her friends arrived on Air Force II with lots of Secret Service Agents.

July 23, 2006 Denali National Park & Preserve in Alaska

First Lady Laura Bush arrived in the park by train on July 23rd for a one-week vacation at a private inholder lodge in the Kantishna area. Members of the park staff assisted Secret Service and White House personnel with communications, security and logistics. A small number of rangers from other parks in the region were detailed to Denali to maintain normal operations so that a portion of the parks law enforcement staff could be assigned full-time to augment and assist the Secret Service details. During the week. Mrs. Bush and a small group of friends enjoyed daily hiking excursions throughout the park. On Friday, July 28th, she and her companions traveled to park headquarters to tour the Murie Science and Learning Center, a collaborative venture by Denali, seven other national parks, and several park partners. She later attended a luncheon hosted at the center and greeted park staff and the regional director. [Submitted by Richard Moore, North District Ranger]
This is the second time in the last couple-three months that LaWa has taken advantage of a western national park for a little "getaway with close friends" whose number, names, relationships, and particularly gender is somehow never mentioned.

In June 2008, First Lady Laura Bush visited Mount Desert Island, Maine with a small group of friends for a brief vacation. She did not plan any public appearances before she arrived, but she was out in the public eye during her visit and met with Acadia National Park superintendent Sheridan Steele.

Laura Bush and her daughters, Barbara and Jenna, traveled to Africa in 2007, where they went on safari. Yet her trip was regarded as an "official" visit and included several public events.

Source

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

What part of her paying for it with her own money do you not get?

Looks like you honestly believe she actually forked out her own cash to pay for this trip. HAH!
Maybe she paid for the shuttle ride to the airport but come on man, don't be so naive.
You know damn well the taxpayers paid for most to 90+ of that "vacation".

The Bush's spent nearly $10 million in taxpayer money flying back and forth to their estate in Crawford, Texas, and the Bush, Sr.'s seaside compound in Kennebunkport, ME

Let's see, $10 million divided by 8 years amounts to $1.25 million per year.
We all know the Obamas can match that in just 6 to 9 months.
I'm sure the amount will grow with each passing year as they continue to learn how to efficiently milk the taxpayers.

btw, help me out here.
Crawford Texas & Kennebunkport Maine are in which country again??

You quoted a source known as "Media Matters"?
...nuff said 'bout that!

Why not go with a source that's a little more neutral:

Michelle Obama today faced a fresh wave of attacks over her lavish break in Spain with 40 friends, which could easily cost U.S. taxpayers a staggering £50,000 a day
And her critics will be further annoyed when they learn that the president's wife had a Spanish beach closed off today so that she, her daughter and their entourage could go for a swim.
It is unclear whether the police presence was paid for by Spain - or whether a nasty invoice could be landing in the lap of the American taxpayer.
Whether or not the taxpaying American will be paying for meals, they will definitely be footing the bill for the First Lady's 68-strong security detail, her personal staff - and the use of presidential jet Air Force Two.
The per diems for the secret service team runs at around £172 each, which amounts to nearly £60,000 for the length of the summer break.
Use of Air Force Two, the Air Force version of a 757, comes in at £91,900 for the round trip. This does not include time on the ground.

Neutral Source: dailyMail.C O.UK

she can do whatever she wants with her money. Free market, capitalism and all that

At least we can agree she is a capitalist wookie pig, but it wasn't all her money.

Regarding Laura's vacations:

Mammoth Lakes in (California)
Lake Crescent Lodge in (Washington)
Olympic National Forest (Washington)
Denali National Park & Preserve (Alaska)
Mount Desert Island (Maine)
Acadia National Park (Maine)

traveled to Africa in 2007

Nice try, I see only one international trip.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Looks like you honestly believe she actually forked out her own cash to pay for this trip. HAH!
Maybe she paid for the shuttle ride to the airport but come on man, don't be so naive.
You know damn well the taxpayers paid for most to 90+ of that "vacation".

Why would I know that when you have done nothing to show it is even remotely true? If you were talking about her husband, I might be inclined to just believe you as he is a politician afterall. Michelle is a very successful and wealthy private citizen. At this point I guess it is her word against yours?

Let's see, $10 million divided by 8 years amounts to $1.25 million per year.
We all know the Obamas can match that in just 6 to 9 months.
I'm sure the amount will grow with each passing year as they continue to learn how to efficiently milk the taxpayers.

Really? How do we know that? What are you basing it on? Where did you get your info on this?

btw, help me out here.
Crawford Texas & Kennebunkport Maine are in which country again??

Do your tax dollars vanish from your pocket differently depending on the destination?

You quoted a source known as "Media Matters"?
...nuff said 'bout that!

Dispute the facts, not the source.

Why not go with a source that's a little more neutral:

Michelle Obama today faced a fresh wave of attacks over her lavish break in Spain with 40 friends, which could easily cost U.S. taxpayers a staggering £50,000 a day

How does that refute what Bush spent on vacations? You see it is just a claim that people are upset over what they think it COULD cost, right? Who thinks that? Based on what? Is it costing that?

And her critics will be further annoyed when they learn that the president's wife had a Spanish beach closed off today so that she, her daughter and their entourage could go for a swim.

Really? Are you upset that a Spanish beach was closed down? Were you planning on going there that day to spend American money too?

It is unclear whether the police presence was paid for by Spain - or whether a nasty invoice could be landing in the lap of the American taxpayer.

Empty speculation is the best you got?

Whether or not the taxpaying American will be paying for meals, they will definitely be footing the bill for the First Lady's 68-strong security detail, her personal staff - and the use of presidential jet Air Force Two.
The per diems for the secret service team runs at around £172 each, which amounts to nearly £60,000 for the length of the summer break.
Use of Air Force Two, the Air Force version of a 757, comes in at £91,900 for the round trip. This does not include time on the ground.

So she would not be using those things if she were in the US? Is she not under security detail anyway? Does she not have personal staff anyway? Do these things cost you more because they are in Spain? Is it the time difference or the conversion rate that does this?

Neutral Source: dailyMail.C O.UK

An article full of speculation about why we should be mad at Michelle for things that may or may not be true is what you call a neutral source? Sorry but it is neither.

At least we can agree she is a capitalist wookie pig, but it wasn't all her money.

So you are a communist?

Regarding Laura's vacations:

Mammoth Lakes in (California)
Lake Crescent Lodge in (Washington)
Olympic National Forest (Washington)
Denali National Park & Preserve (Alaska)
Mount Desert Island (Maine)
Acadia National Park (Maine)

traveled to Africa in 2007

Nice try, I see only one international trip.

I thought you were upset about what this cost taxpayers? You do know that it still costs money to take 40 friends on vacation in the US, right?

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Hey haters, I found an article you should read.

Mrs. Obama met two friends in Spain, who flew there on their own. The three women were joined by a total of four daughters. (Some news outlets reported Mrs. Obama was on vacation with 40 friends; that was not true.)

One of the women is a longtime Obama friend, Anita Blanchard, an obstetrician who delivered Sasha and big sister Malia, 12. Her husband is Marty Nesbitt, a close Obama friend and treasurer of Obama's presidential campaign fund.

A White House source told me the Mrs. Obama was not able to attend the funeral for Blanchard's father at the beginning of July. Blanchard, who was taking her daughter on a promised trip to Spain, asked the first lady and Sasha to come to Spain with her. (Malia is at overnight camp.) "She felt it was important as a dear friend to do this," I was told.

Source: www.politicsdaily.com...

No 40 friends and she went at the request of a friend who was grieving. What a classy target to pick on.

[edit on 13-8-2010 by pr3l33t]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pr3l33t

So I suppose closing a beach was out of respect for the grieving friend too? www.dailymail.co.uk...

Spanish police cleared off a stretch of beach at the Villa Padierna Hotel in Marbella after the Obamas had finished a busy day of sightseeing.

Sounded like a lot of grieving going on.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by pr3l33t

Pssst!
That called damage control.

Also, can you please point out what you might consider "classy"?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   

reply to post by pr3l33t

Pssst!

Holy Crap!

Look at the size of the entourage!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adevoc Satanae

Holy Crap!

Look at the size of the entourage!

Yep, that's why they call her The First Butt

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Yep, that's why they call her The First Butt

Sorry, guess I was not looking at the same part of the picture as you.

I was busy counting all 40 friends.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   

That's actually an older picture,
...from about 20 vacations ago.

Not the same daughter that went to España.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

That's actually an older picture,
...from about 20 vacations ago.

Not the same daughter that went to España.

Then why are you asking what is supposed to be classy about that picture for?

No, really. Not sure I care anymore.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

reply to post by pr3l33t

Pssst!

Wow, ole thunder thighs is doing the country proud. Getting off Air Force One looking like she's heading for . . . . awwww hadn't better finish that thought, might get banned

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Is this thread really 22 pages long?
THAT says a lot!

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
And incredibly, the Obamas are planning two more vacations in the next month.:shk:

The Obama's are now headed for a trip to Panama Beach, Florida (panhandle area of Florida) that's many miles east from Ft. Walton Beach & Pensacola. I don't know how much tar & oil they got in PC. Too bad they didn't try Orange Beach, Alabama. Of course, this is only for 27 hours.

They will get their photo op eating the imported seafood specially prepared for them. Will they actually go into the water?

Then they go off to their REAL vacation at exclusive (& expensive) Martha's Vineyard for what? Ten or fourteen days?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adevoc Satanae
Not sure I care anymore.

Not really sure I care anymore either.
So I guess on that note, we'll just end it with this.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Why can't they take a vacation? They have money, I think it's a non issue.
I realize many of us would love to take a nice vacation, do any of you have any ideas to fix the economy instead of bitching ?

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by maxzen2004
Why can't they take a vacation? They have money, I think it's a non issue.
I realize many of us would love to take a nice vacation, do any of you have any ideas to fix the economy instead of bitching ?

And you don't think it's excessive? MO is barely back from Spain and already they are planning the next 2 vacations within a month.

They seriously look like ghetto rich to me...

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23 >>

join