It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martial law possible in Iraq - update - warning not to impose Martial Law !!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
"If we need to do it, yes, we'll do it" said Iraq's interim interior minister Falah al-Nakib. This announcement one day after a car bomb killed 35 people and injured 145, near an Iraqi army recruitment center.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Iraq's interim interior minister says martial law could be declared in the country if there are continued attacks like the car bombing that killed 35 people Thursday in Baghdad.

"If we need to do it, yes, we'll do it. We won't hesitate," said Falah al-Nakib, in response to a question about a possible declaration of martial law.

"This is the security of our country. This is the security and life of our people," al-Nakib said.

In addition to the 35 people killed, 145 others were wounded in the Thursday car bombing, which targeted an Iraqi army recruitment center but inflicted a heavy toll on civilians on the street nearby.

www.cnn.com...

Interim Defense Minister Hazem Shalan al-Khuzaei said that "in the next few days, we will chase [the insurgents] ... from house to house and from street to street, by all means available."Visiting the scene of the blast, interim Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Allawi vowed his people would prevail in the face of mounting violence before the June 30 political handover from the United States.

"This is an escalation that we have been expecting," Allawi said. "The government of Iraq is determined to confront the enemies."

That's a big step in the war on terror, I hope it's the right one. How will declaring martial law affect our troops? I mean, since they're basically the law there right now, do you think that this will help in the fight or will the martial law be ignored and the attacks will continue?

[edit on 18-6-2004 by Banshee]

[edit on 23-6-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 10:39 AM
link   
*bumpy - Bumpy*

I thought this was pretty big news, so I wanted to get back to the top for those who might not have been on earlier today when I posted this.

any takers, thoughts / opinions ?

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I wouldn't suprised if this happened. I thought that Iraq would fall into martial law a few months ago, but i think it would fall soon.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Iraq's Interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi shrugged off two public death threats, saying he remains determined to bring democracy to Iraq. A threat attributed to insurgent leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was followed by a previously unknown group that threatened Allawi and his government.

On the videotape 10 people -- dressed in black and holding weapons, their faces obscured by scarves -- stood behind an 11th person who read a statement threatening to kill Allawi and members of his government if he follows through on his threat to impose martial law if the current unrest continued.

www.cnn.com...

So, what do you think guys, will martial law happen or not ?

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Allawi, in my book, is showing some solid leadership. Obviously needed there. And if I am him I wouldnt really care what 10 people, cowards covering their faces in scarves, thought of my policy.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
We can't even control whats going on Now, what the hell is ML going to do, except raise hell.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
They wear face coverings, because they don't want to be identified and held accountable.

Notice how they've sent all these others on suicide missions and not themselves. They attack foreign civilians.

Now, they threaten the prime minister.

Marshal law is supposed to accomplish what...?

new topics

top topics

join