It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Army Stressed After Nearly a Decade of War

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
RANGER!! HOOAH...............

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The most disturbing part of this thread is the OP referenced ABCs reporting of a study WITHOUT a link or footnote to the original source.
He was unable to do that because ABC didn't provide one. How do you discuss the merit or lack there of, if all one has is the MSMs take on a report ? If I missed it, please assist.

jam321 offers some supportive information.

I have little doubt psychiatric disorders may be initiated or compounded through stress of combat. I just refuse to accept ANYTHING from the MSM without sources. And neither should anyone else.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by zroth

Star and flag for you brother.

Could not have said what you posted any better.

very good points this OP brings up.

Sad, but True.

[edit on 7/30/2010 by Illuminated_1]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by Stop-loss!

I honestly understand exactly what you are talking about. I ponder if the system would suck as much as it did if we went back to the traditional style of Rome where the senators fought with the troops they ordered into slaughter.

I'm pretty sure the government would be better off if the senators were ordered to command their troops on the ground. The older senators would not have to of course, but it would definably paint a new perspective for them.

This situation is totally different then from when Marius and Caesar or Africanus were on there campaigns for Rome. They lived and bread in a whole different world they were actually on the front lines most times and knew what there goal and purpose was. In war its always about resources and moneys the most basic of things that all civilizations thrive on. The romans weren't in Germany to play piper to some corporation or a senator that was on the other side of the ocean and had no clue what was what, they brought those things with them and most times settled the land as soon as they could get out of Romes shadow... because the secret to there success was that "Rome was a crappy place to live in", if you weren't part of the rich class or had a stake in it, basically it churned out more people then they knew what to do with, other then war off course, most legionaries joined to get out of Rome and get some land and spoils in a place were they had a chance for a better life, hence why today there are many Roman type of civilizations in Europe they settled everywhere. And for some reason I don't see Americans wanting to settle down and live in Iraq so why go there. Good intentions don't always equal good.

As for today the more things change the more they stay the same. What you got is corporations who are out to make profits and use up munitions and other things that makes those corporations money's oil, money, drugs, guns, resources in the ground. And you got silly ideology in the capital, people arguing about left vs right or this or that, basically domesticated animals who have no clue, how close there world is balancing over a chasm, and they have these people who supposedly read a book somewhere and got some piece of paper that says they are gifted in the art of so and so, thinking they know what those books or things certain people that lived through are saying because one does not live it... one lives through it to write it down...more domesticated animals with plans. And lots more things but basically what you got is America traded it's ability to produce for it's ability to copy and paste and tax and fax, So as they say "what you own ends up owning you" so you own, paper but china owns the scissors and if things progress they will own the rock also, in this game he who owns two things will win, after all scissors beat's paper.

And for the second thing this pointless and goalless army system, it make no one richer but the elites. So no this thing is different then when Rome was in Germany. When they were in Germany it was brutal because of the time, but pretty much all of them got something out of it, "that is the point of war to get something out of it". But what exactly does America get out of these wars it seems to be making America more weak and dependent on foreign powers from the global bankers and corporations to other countries who are profiting from America wasting its time and resources on pointless endeavor's. If they stuck to there original tactics of buying these places like china is doing they might of bought all of it with the money spent on the elites profiting basically spend a million to make a thousand. So it comes down to "those who want peace prepare for war, and those who want war prepare for war" you seem to be heading to a place were there will be only 2 options for peace and prosperity. And no the army system ain't bad it's still the greatest in the world but it defiantly needs to get it's priorities in order. Unless you all want to trade from living in Oklahoma or whatever for living in Iraq because the Chinese and others are buying up your lands as we converse by proxy and most likely doing it with your own tool's in government, "those who will do anything for money".

So your point is kind of mute because the senators are controlling the army's only they are no Caesar, thats for sure.
In fact this whole thing were the army must abide politics and politicians and the newest fad in Washington is kind of silly. They don't seem to be doing there job very well, because if they did, the country wouldn't be in this mess...They need to try harder in the end they have more to lose then most. The golden age of capitalizing of the army wont last forever for the elites and were will that leave the rest who aren't part of the top 1%. Ah who knows who this army will work for in the end, because it does not seem to work for itself. You people who say this and that war is evil and army's should be disbanded might want to actually see if all that bull you were spouting about voting or presidents or whatever is good for something other then hot air. Now is the time to actually see what it's all about. We will see.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by zroth

The army is stressed - after murdering people - ok, we know the army is stressed - hey, join your army, get to see the world, and get to die.

A lot of these young boys joined the army, for something to do - then they died.

A wicked waste.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

The U.S. discontinued the draft in 1973, moving to an all-volunteer force.

www.selectiveservice.us...

Im just saying.. No one is forcing you yanks to join the military.

Unlike this backwards little country, that hasn't seen war since the 1940's...

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye

Duh. That's part of why I call it stupid. I should really be and usually am more careful with the words I use, but sometimes I get lazy and/or tired. And sometimes it still boggles my mind that not every single person realizes how "stupid" these wars are...from the very lies and reasons they were initiated...to the way they feed our values and our bodies into the grinder of the MIC.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by zroth

And this is why in battles THE SOLDIERS I have compassion for not all but some for many never see the game being minipulated upon them... I have observed over many years the lifestyle of a soldier and its basically go handle what your responsibilities are for the TOP and after we use you up, go get vet. healthcare and hopefully that helps... See the ones who I respect are the soldiers from all battles who couldnt see the minipulation and tried to fight for a positive cause that had been minipulated into their mindstates, thats why the same minipulation goes on on both sides of the battle field why the TOPS chill out and call shots, sounds gangsta the BOSS calls the shots his GOONS/SOLDIERS go handle that, no questions just handle what they are told. And what happens once the boss is done with them they either get imprisoned or killed never really see the better side of life working under the BOSS or TOPS.... So to all those soldiers who have lost their lives through time and in current I pray for their missguided souls and hopes GOD has mercy on them for being FOOLISH and having their wills minipulated.... I watched GWB send a massive amount of children 18yr olds fresh outta school over there to find WMDs knowing that was the best fuel for them to be minipulated. They didnt find them but many found death. And he got to kill the guy who tried to kill his daddy even though many of AMERICANAZ children were trapped in a blood formula that required their bloods to work..... SAD

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for participating in this thread. I am happy to see the passion we bring collectively.

It is important, as we enter into this epic era of control, that we keep our eye on the ball.

If change truly comes from within and one at time, then I guess it is time to dive in like NEO into Agent Smith for lack of a better analogy.

We can’t change this system until we stop separating ourselves from it.

A strong military, a tool of misfortune
All things detest it
Therefore, those who possess the Tao avoid it
Honorable gentlemen, while at home, value the left
When deploying the military, value the right
The military is a tool of misfortune
Not the tool of honorable gentlemen
When using it out of necessity
Calm detachment should be above all
Victorious but without glory
Those who glorify

Are delighting in the killing
Those who delight in killing
Cannot achieve their ambitions upon the world
Auspicious events favor the left
Inauspicious events favor the right
The lieutenant general is positioned to the left
The major general is positioned to the right
We say that they are treated as if in a funeral

Those who have been killed
Should be mourned with sadness
Victory in war should be treated as a funeral - - Tao Chapter 31

[edit on 30-7-2010 by zroth]

[edit on 30-7-2010 by zroth]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
hate to say it but stoploss is the only one i see here capable of making any kins of accurate judge ment ATS pisses me off sometimes with IDEALS from people that simply have no first hand or realistic understanding they just see ideals

i.e.:

the war is the US slaughtering civilians ????????????

we are an imperialistic super power DUHH eh hem SUPER POWER.....

the islamic countries are fighting us as the invaders anyone remember 9/11???????? really if you were in NYC on that day you would remember i will never forget.

lastly the soildiers are the only ones who can draw opinions and conclusions on the war everyone else is simply a looky lew....

i dunno it just seems there are a lot of well totally un qualified opinions that gain a snow ball effect on topics often just hatred for America you know the land of the free number one place people come to to find a better life for themselves and their families.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

Is murder really wrong? Who is the final decision maker for our morality? Is it a church or religion? Is it a government or school? How do we really know murder is wrong? Why is it ok to murder animals for food, but we draw a line if it is a person?

I am biased because I am a murderer. I bet most of you are also.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve
reply to post by zroth

Who is the final decision maker for our morality? Is it a church or religion? Is it a government or school? How do we really know murder is wrong? Why is it ok to murder animals for food

It's innate if you haven't got "it" you're a wrongun.

By "you" I didn't mean you.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Thepreye]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Is murder really wrong?

Yes. Murder is theft. Theft is wrong, although can easily become a semantics discussion around ownership.

Who is the final decision maker for our morality?

God

Is it a church or religion?

Neither.

Is it a government or school?

Government governs man's laws which also happen to state murder is wrong.

How do we really know murder is wrong?

Intuition.

Why is it ok to murder animals for food, but we draw a line if it is a person?

This is quite a bit of another discussion. Personally, I am a Raw Vegan and do not consume any animal products. This is a personal choice. I do resonate with the belief that man has dominion over the planet. While we do not care for it very well these days, it does negate our right to hold sway.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I blame this on the people that regulate the rules of war, instead of staying to accomplish their mission, men are teated like they are expendable, they complete their tour and go home accomplishing nothing. Let our soldiers stay there if they want, why send them home early?

Vietnam was 50x worse than this afghan war and I don't recall soldiers blasting their brains out, they experienced all that carnage and mahem, they so freinds and fellow soldiers mutilated and mauled up, hacked to pieces, in the and they accomplished their mission, the knew their freinds did not die in vein, most vietnam vets I know are perfectly normal functional people.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dazbog

This is a very valid point. I have not been able to find the "report" that is being reported on.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by lynxlynx

Unfortunately it is not that black and white. Without men and women serving in our armed forces, how would a country defend itself? It is a political problem, and reform must be enacted that properly and appropriately represents the decisions of the United States public. Unfortunately this seems to be a long way off. Until then it is only appropriate that people voice their opinions in this manner.

What country are you referring to that hasn't seen war since the 1940's, I'm honestly curious.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
There's no point of keeping our soldiers in Iraq or Afghanistan...nor in any other country we're currently in.

It's time to end the wars that Bush started for greed and profit.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by triplescorpio
hate to say it but stoploss is the only one i see here capable of making any kins of accurate judge ment ATS pisses me off sometimes with IDEALS from people that simply have no first hand or realistic understanding they just see ideals

i.e.:

the war is the US slaughtering civilians ????????????

we are an imperialistic super power DUHH eh hem SUPER POWER.....

the islamic countries are fighting us as the invaders anyone remember 9/11???????? really if you were in NYC on that day you would remember i will never forget.

lastly the soildiers are the only ones who can draw opinions and conclusions on the war everyone else is simply a looky lew....

i dunno it just seems there are a lot of well totally un qualified opinions that gain a snow ball effect on topics often just hatred for America you know the land of the free number one place people come to to find a better life for themselves and their families.

Well junior thats life xin loi. Did 4 tours in vietnam when you were probably nothing more than a gleam in daddys eye.
The ones speaking out against afghanistan and iraq are correct. Theyre illegal / immoral wars for the corrupt bastards in d.c and the corporations to profit from.. Not a damn thing changed other than the methods of killing and you kids today have a cakewalk on your tours unlike in vietnam. As to 9/11 that was the handiwork of your own beloved u.s government.. not some group of islamic extremists that they would have you believe. Guess what they play you and all the other "patriots" believe them and foam at the mouth to go fight and die for the corrupt bastards and corporations. There was no threat to national security. And there is no honour or heroism in war its a damn dirty business with no winners. But go be a good citizen and commit cold blooded murder in order for your corporations to continue to profit from blood money.
Fools and idiots never learn.. Only perpetuate the madness.. One more time for the slow group. ITS AN ILLEGAL/ IMMORAL WAR FOR PROFIT .

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by lynxlynx

ahhhh Finland. Thanks for the response amigo.

second line right churr.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join