It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Important Survival foods

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra

Originally posted by mutantgenius

It has all sorts, from Whale stew and reindeer burgers to Roast Moose Nose. There is also a recipe for "real icecream" which consists of rendered reindeer fat and fresh snow.mmmmmmm!!!

Whale stew isn't all that good. Roast moose nose? Nope, jellied moose nose is traditional, and tastes great, if anyone wants me to post how to do it I will.

It was jellied moose nose by the way!! I was kind of going on memory but pulled the book out last night. It actually reminds me of a Polish dish "galaretka" which uses pig or chicken feet to Gelatinize rather than nose. Actually alot of the recipes in that book were similar to Russian dishes....of course I didn't even know that Russia used to own Alaska (I grew up in UK, we're not really taught it in school) Until recently.

To be honest I could not imagine "catching" a whale and eating it....which parts do you even eat? Who carries it home?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by teapot

A fooraging cookbook would rock, as the items used would all probably be fro natures superarket.

But as for the mac and cheese if the Cheese mix were wet enough I imagine it could work although I would pay serious attention to portions as to not have to readjust a wet recipe in future days.

As mac and cheese is srs biz.
Thanks for the input.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Wow i never considered cheesemaking seems kind of involved, I think I need to read up on it abit.
Thanks for the push.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

No sweat there is alot we are not taught in school. It messes with history.

I imagine to catch a whale you would use a tree as a pole and some 5000lb test!

[edit on 27-7-2010 by g146541]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Another sort of pasta dough works by adding flour to mashed potatoes. Add an egg also if having a hard time making it stick together. Shape into tiny footballs, and you have gnocci. Good with stews, or any sauce.

It can be turned into buns too. Just have to google potato doughs.

A good sourdough starter, if flour is abundant, will last literally forever, as long as there is somewhere to store it. You only take a piece of it each time you do a loaf of bread, and then add to the starter, and re store. I have heard of starter doughs lasting years in some old Italian bakeries.

www.exploratorium.edu...
sourdoughhome.com...

Need a good outdoor bake oven.

And a good cold storage, root cellar, possibly partly underground if guaranteed to be dry

[edit on 27-7-2010 by snowspirit]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Potato bread rocks. But I have never heard of using potato for noodles, although there is no reason it couldn’t work I guess.
Thinking of replacement things, instead of mashed potatoes my wife will sometimes mash up cauliflower as a potatoe substitute. It is better for us diabetic types.
As for sourdough, I know a Mormon family that still has starter from nineteen ot …something, they use it as a starter for pancake breakfast they throw for their family every year, good stuff.
For an outdoor oven, I do not have yet but have recently been looking at solar ovens.
There are a lot of good designs but a lot seem kind of flimsy.
I would like to build one that can be broken down and easily carried, but sturdy enough to handle some bumping.
Good stuff though
Thanks for the contribution!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Sweet potatoes work too for the pasta (gnocci) dough. Healthier, but a little sweeter. If you have leftover mashed of either type, white or sweet, add about the same amount of flour, and 1 egg, and you have a dough that will just boil like pasta

I have seen outdoor bake ovens on tv made out of cobb or clay or brick. For when you need the really hot oven temperature.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   

To be honest I could not imagine "catching" a whale and eating it....which parts do you even eat? Who carries it home?

Whale steaks are pretty good, not as good as walrus steaks (less oil) they don't "catch" whales, they have a team of men that kill them, and drag them to shore.

All of the whale is used, the meat for steaks, the bones for cooking tripods, and the most important, the muktuk. Muktuk is a staple in the far north. Skin and blubber of a whale, highly prized. Tastes like oily fish and bacon. Not for everyone, but once you have gotten used to it, you crave it.

As for bringing it home. Everyone from the boat captain down who helps with the kill or helps with the harvest of meat earns a share. It is brought home with proud, oily hands and shared with family. Not many on earth will ever get to try it, but it is a true comfort food, right up there with caviar and truffles.

I saw a post about making pasta with potatoes. Yep, can be done. Leftover mashed can make pasta or bread. But why? Use your taters to make vodka should TSHTF. Nothing against bread, but vodka beats bread wine any day

Tomorrow, when sober, will post my personal moose nose recipe.

As for other important survival foods, cheese isn't that hard to make, if like me, you will fail miserably the first few times, but once you get the basics for soft cheese down, then get a homemade hard cheese, you won't buy store cheese again.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join