It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Important Survival foods

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Important Survival foods
Sitting here browsing the forum and I get a hunkerin for a dish.
Diabetics are subject to a torment for sweets unlike any other you see.
So I get to craving pudding Vanilla in particular, so I goes to the kitchen get into the fridge and grab the milk and then off to the pantry to grab my favorite box o pudding.
Box pudding by the way does have sugar in it, however it has NO High Fructose Corn Syrup, so I am cool with the little extra high levels, I just dose up a bit.
Anyway back to the story I get into the pantry and to my shock …and Awe alas no pudding!!!
What do I do?
It is almost midnight and I’m certainly not going to the store for pudding, I’d get looked at like a tweaker.
Any way I remember my mom and grandma’s used to cook pudding on the stovetop.
So I go to my knowledge center, “The Intarwebs” and I look up a recipe for vanilla pudding.
2 cups of milk
3tsp corn starch
½ cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 Tbs butter
½ tsp vanilla
Get the milk just to under boil and add the dry goods mix up till sugar and corn starch dissolve then add butter and vanilla continue to stir just till boiling and remove from stove as to not burn. Continue to mix for a few minutes then separate into cups, throw into the fridge and chill.
Doing this got me to thinking of the pioneers of the first depression and how they would make dishes that are almost all in boxes nowadays
Everything seems to come in a box for convenience and they can charge a lot more.
As we know depression is not only referring to the finances but in times of low cash morale can also be lower than optimal.
So learning to make comfort foods may become a valuable tool
Do you have any expertise in making generally boxed or comfort foods?
And most of all, share the recipe please.
I promise stars on all Good macaroni and cheese recipes as I miss homemade mac and cheese.
Thanks, G.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Hi i dont cook and if no one made my meals i would probably just eat the box but i do like macaroni and cheese so i guess my post has something to do with your topic.Here is the instructions for making macaroni and cheese,
open box
boil the noodles
add powdered cheese
add butter
stir
eat
I know all this because i like to read the back of boxes.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

See I can do the Kraft thing but they are eevol in my opinion.
So on occasion I guess I support the devil.

However no homemade recipe, NO SOUP FOR YOU!
Thanks for the post.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

It does taste good but i would hate to know what is in that foil packet,it's sort of orange ,maybe its full of vitamin C .

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Usually just grab some bananas, mangos, dragonfruit, and have for snack or have a melon (watermelon or honeydew) from my garden.
Usually keep it simple when comes to meals / snacks.
No nearby stores to run to out here. As to cooking usually just cook up some rice and fish along with fresh veg from garden for dinner. A good dip for fish / meat that is simple put some soy sauce in small dish chop up and add small chillis (usually 2) to the soy sauce.
Sorry I never measure things when cooking so cant give exact measurements on things..

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
You want macaroni and cheese I'll give you a great macaroni and cheese recipe.

Big knob of butter and big spoon of flour. Melt and mix together in a pan, cooking slowly but mixing fast. Don't worry about lumps. Gradually add milk and keep stirring, lumps will vanish into the sauce. Add 1/2 teaspoon mustard, a shake of pepper, and grated cheese and keep stirring. Add cooked macaroni and mix thoroughly. Yummy.

To be specific -

1.5oz butter
1.5oz flour
1 pint milk
half tsp mustard
250g dry macaroni pasta
6-8oz cheese (Galloway cheddar best imo) & some for decoration

Double the whole lot if you have a few friends coming over. Add salt only if you need it. Galloway cheese is pretty salty anyway.

I like to pour the whole lot into an oven dish, add more grated cheese to the top with maybe a sprinkle of paprika or sesame seeds or sliced tomatoes to make it look nice, and grill or oven cook till top is crispy.

Think you can survive on that?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Ugghhh, Hello g146???br549&8675309, lol.
I know you mentioned recipe’s of comfort foods for the times someone is depressed, or what have you but be careful since your diabetic

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a good home baked dish of Mac and Cheese but yikes, it's loaded with carbs and it'll backfire on you

I know, I know, it's a dish you'll eat here and there but the long-term effects of upping or adjusting the med's eventually takes its toll on the organs.

I'm not a party pooper I promise, it's just that my Mom and sis in law adjust to compensate their weaknesses and now my sister in law is paying a heavy price.

I'm not meaning to say you are doing this to that extent, lets just say Im the evil brat on your other shoulder whispering in your ear
Sorry.

Im posting this because I've often thought about what diabetics, like Mom, would do if the SHTF. It's scary, esp if it becomes hard to refill prescriptions or to see a doctor.

I hope this isn't off topic, let me know and I can edit it. I'll be back with a recipe (I hope, lol) that might be diabetic friendly but also to help with the blues

Oh, and I enjoyed your OP, you tell a story that makes someone feel they are right there in it.

Best regards,
Liberty

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I watched "The Road" movie last night. I guess an asteriod hit the planet in their apocolypse situation. Ten years later there were no animals to eat, and the humans were eating each other. It was very grim. There was no sun light in the skies to grow food, and the trees were falling over. I don't know what you would do in this situation, every human was dangerous to each other. Having a green house with artifical lighting and a generator with gasoline would be the only solution I can think of.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Usually just grab some bananas, mangos, dragonfruit, and have for snack or have a melon (watermelon or honeydew) from my garden.
Usually keep it simple when comes to meals / snacks.
No nearby stores to run to out here. As to cooking usually just cook up some rice and fish along with fresh veg from garden for dinner. A good dip for fish / meat that is simple put some soy sauce in small dish chop up and add small chillis (usually 2) to the soy sauce.
Sorry I never measure things when cooking so cant give exact measurements on things..

Wow that sounds good, you have it figured out

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Ok.....I know how to make homemade all kinds of things.......but....how is that going to help me in a "survival situation" where there is probably no fresh milk, limited cooking fuel etc.... why not just stock up on vanilla pudding which doesn't go bad and comes prepackaged, easy to carry etc....
I thinkmore apt information might include....how to gut and skin an animal, how to dry meat, how to collect and clean water, natural medicines, edible roots and berries etc...

Heres a tip for survival 101. Do not eat pudding!!!! Keep your teeth scrupulously clean as there are no dentists in a post apocalyptic society. Tooth pain is THE WORST imaginable and wreaks havoc on the whole system.

Just my two nickels....

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I am totally jealous of the things you have at times.
A tropical garden, and of course sugared fruits but they have fiber that helps eat the sugars and at a fair price too!
I wish I could plant me some banana trees or papayas Etc.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

You officially rock!
I have the recipe written down already and will attemt to use it soon.
My Grandma used to cook everything from scratch and I "once" asked her why not from the box?
She kinda looked at me as to slap me, I understand now.

And yes this is a survival food!
Brings me some mental comfort.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

g146541 the most important series of digits to me, long long story.

Yeah I try to do better than updosing, I try to balance things out raw fruits and veggies take make for harder work on the body and help us diabetic types.
I totally understand you are not a party pooper you are just a concerned person which speaks volumes of you considering we have never sat down for coffee.

And as far as the extra stress I put on myself, I want to die someday, but in order to do that I must LIVE first!

Thank You.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by frugal

Actually I am working on materials for my off the grid set up, not there yet but if all goes right in the next year I will be ready.
I plan on doing a greenhouse there.
I really would love a huge climate controlled one so I could plant tropical type trees that dont do good in cold weather though.
Thats prolly not gonna happen though.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

I am hoping the fresh milk could be replaced with powdered milk, if not a goat would rock!

Dressing, drying meat I can do. I distill water, so i can use almost any swill.
As for the tooth thing I will hope for the best, as I do not have a dentist in my BOB.

Mental note, get in good with a dentist.

You are correct dental pain is top strongbad.
Thank you for the wisdom.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Dear Caffeine Expert-Senescence Flatulence

I found a few nifty tips and recipe’s. Im glad it touches a little on "low-fat" foods, that low fat can be misleading.

15 Diabetes-Friendly Snack Tips

Keep your blood sugar steady with a smart and satisfying snack!

www.rd.com...

www.rd.com...
(seems a little perverted though. They tell you how to disrobe your chicken)

I like this because they give some good ideas for grilling (helpful if there is no electricity)

11 Healthy Ways to Load Up on Lean Protein
Protein can lower the blood sugar impact of meals and keep hunger at bay. Learn how to enjoy the nutritional benefits of the best protein sources.
www.rd.com...

Think of Diabetes and hypertension like sisters, very annoying sisters I might add! When you have one, usually the other shows up uninvited.

That could go for potassium and magnesium too, but on a positive level, they work wonders when taken together.

Maybe one day we will have that cup of coffee, you never know, Im finding out everyday what a small world it really is.

True! We must live first

Thank you,
Liberty

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541

You officially rock!

Haha, you're welcome. I got the recipe from-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2970a7d981bd.jpg[/atsimg]

-which is a modern and updated version of -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8250a7bdb7cf.jpg[/atsimg]
-from the 1960s. We used to buy these books from the milkman. I wouldn't be without mine. I'm on my third copy. Last two died from gravy stains.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

Good info and absolutely useable, only problem I see iis I come from an old line of diabetics so alot of the info I've had in my bean forever.
Only one in my family not diabetic is my brother and I joke with him just not yet, but I actually think I'm right unfortunately.
But still the same great info in those pages.
Even more so for non diabetic types. as they get all of the benefits but don't suffer the drawbacks.
thanks much!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Ahhh a collection of paper screenshots!

I need to get me some cookbooks, if for anything just for some variety.
We tend to rotate a bunch of recipes, but I would love to add to them.
I really need to look more into online cookbooks.
Thanks much.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
For your homemade mac and cheese, the recipe way above is very good, but stock up on whole wheat pasta because of your diabetes. Also, stock up on cinnamon, it helps keep your blood sugar balanced.

When the SHTF, and your toothbrush is kaput, use a frayed end of some type of non poisonous (know your trees) stick.

Have some herbs, garlic and onions growing for adding extra flavor and vitamins to just about anything.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join