It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The problem with extending UE benifits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
First off, I was laid off almost 2 years ago and did get unemployment benifits for 4 months.

That bieng said after my benifits were to run out and my former employer told me to look else where, I did.

I tried craigs list, the classifieds, every other newspaper in the land... no jobs for my skill....

So I opened my own shop (Im an electrician), slowly the jobs started to come in, and Im in no way rich, or even make the same as I did before, but I am trying!!!!!

I work alot more and make about the same as I did b4, But food is on the table, and bills are paid.

I didnt look for "extended benifits" I decided to make something happen!!

And now that I own my own biz, I have had at least 10 people call me for a job, but they wanted to be paid cash so they could keep getting their UI benifits!!!!!

This is the problem with giving out handouts, sure some really do need it, but if their is no incentive to work why would you????

When UI benifits get extended, their is a direct coraltion with people not looking for work, look it up.

look for a job, dont expect to be taken care of your whole life!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
You are awesome.

My dad did the same thing with my help. Except he got his benefits taken away for actually claiming work when all he did was odd jobs for a friend. So for him, it was kind of a shove off a cliff.

He did learn to fly, or at least glide the family into a safe landing. Everyone has to pitch in a little, but he's got a big job in the near future to look forward to.

Benefits are so hard to talk about because so many people rely on them. I think we would be in a better situation if we didn't have them and relied more on our friends and family. Now, because the benefits exist, no one wants to help anyone out like they used to.

But, then again, the whole system is broke.... maybe extending benefits will give some people some piece of mind before it all comes tumbling down.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by redseal
First off, I was laid off almost 2 years ago and did get unemployment benifits for 4 months.

That bieng said after my benifits were to run out and my former employer told me to look else where, I did.

I tried craigs list, the classifieds, every other newspaper in the land... no jobs for my skill....

So I opened my own shop (Im an electrician), slowly the jobs started to come in, and Im in no way rich, or even make the same as I did before, but I am trying!!!!!

I work alot more and make about the same as I did b4, But food is on the table, and bills are paid.

I didnt look for "extended benifits" I decided to make something happen!!

And now that I own my own biz, I have had at least 10 people call me for a job, but they wanted to be paid cash so they could keep getting their UI benifits!!!!!

This is the problem with giving out handouts, sure some really do need it, but if their is no incentive to work why would you????

When UI benifits get extended, their is a direct coraltion with people not looking for work, look it up.

look for a job, dont expect to be taken care of your whole life!!!!!!!!!!!!

That "pull yourself up by your bootstrap" stuff doesn't work anymore and you know it. I'm glad that you where able to start your business, but how did you do it. I mean if you where finished with unemployment insurance and your boss told you to beat it, then you had little or no savings because you had to use it while you where looking on craigslist and the paper etc. for a job. You had to pay for rent/mortgage and food and utilities and whatever that would be needed, and if you had a spouse and kids that added more to your issue for needing money. Somewhere down the line you had to have borrowed money from family or friends to keep up with the bills and if so wouldn't they have considered you a dead beat or "here comes old larry or chuck to borrow another 200 from me, why don't he get a job". Also it's funny but you said that you where on unemployment for 4 months, to some people that is 3 months to long and they would call you a welfare case. What time length on unemployment makes it look as if your being taken care of by the state and not being taken cared for by the state. I have the answer to that, as soon as the person doing the griping about unemployment got his job or business up. Then he makes it look like IF I DID IT YOU SHOULD TOO. And the person or you aren't even considering the difference in each individuals situation.

Three hundred and change million people can't have their own businesses or jobs or whatever, because their aren't enough jobs being made or can be made for people to be hired. And as for businesses, same thing. Having to many of one thing or alot of things with alot of people doing it brings down the price the person is willing to pay you for your services, because they could get it cheaper from another contractor or business that deals in doing electrical work. If their where 50 american television makers in the US, televisions would be cheap and be devalued because everyone is trying to sell and undercut the other.

There always is going to be poor, the troubled and the disenfranchised in a society as long as we are a capitalistic one. Unemployment and other safety nets are designed to give these people some hope and to keep them alive and at the same time keep the govt. functioning. The last thing that a govt. wants is a mass of people in the millions needing help and they aren't getting it. And so what they will do is if you can't help me I will get what I need anyway I can. You didn't do anything illegal I assume to get your business rolling. But to a mass of people that have no money and food from trash cans etc. etc., they wil take and fight for whatever and be damned the rules of law and the rules of society.

Because if you throw away them, they will throw away YOU. You meaning your laws, your feelings, your govt. your everything. They will be the mob and the mob will make their own laws, and feelings and govt., in order to feel part of a society and they are protected. This has been the nature of the beast for millenia and govt. know this. There was a quote from a movie made by the Cohen brothers back in 1990 called Millers Crossing. It was a gangsters flick set back during the prohibition in Lousiana. Gabriel Burns the advisor to the Irish mob boss made a comment stating "Your only in charge if people think your in charge, when they stop thinking that then your not". People think you won't do anything for them or protect them then they will follow someone else, and it may be someone or something that you won't like.

en.wikipedia.org...

join