It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment Extension Passes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
As seen on CSPAN-2 TV this afternoon around 2:30, the Senate voted to extend unemployment benefits for millions of jobless Americans. The bill now only needs approval from
the House of Representatives, which should come later this week, before President Obama signs it into law and the unemployed begin to receive checks again.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ATLien

Good and nice catch ATLien, I was wondering if them people were going to be left out in the cold to figure it out the hard way and its nice they got help....

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Even though there are billions of unspent money from the porkulus package which would have been worth using to fund this. We just added billions of dollars to the debt with this extension.

Makes absolutely no sense. But hey, what do you expect with Democrats in charge?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
At least this money stays home, carseller4, and doesn't wind up directly in the pockets of the war pigs. I'm all for that.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

IMO this extension is way too long.

[sarcasm]
2 years to stay on easy street getting paid for not working, almost makes me want to try to get laid off so I can get paid for time at home too.

Hell get a cash gig at a deli or pizza place and combine it with unemployment for an easy 800+ a week.

[/sarcasm]

I'm all for people getting help when they need it, but seriously, a total of 112 weeks of unemployment checks is just obnoxious and an insult to every underpaid but employed worker out there making the same amount if not less then the person who decided unemployment checks were better then getting a temporary lesser paid job to make ends meet.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SlasherOfVeils

I guess you haven't noticed there are no jobs. More than 20 million unemployed now and only about 3.5 million jobs available nationwide according to all the employment surveys.

Millions of people lost their jobs and their homes over the last 3 years. I don't think they're enjoying being on unemployment instead of working.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

I know more than a few peers of mine who could be working, have even been offered jobs, and considered them, but choose to remain on unemployment so they are free to travel, stay at home, and continue to get paid without having to work.

There are jobs out there. No they probably aren't what you are trying to apply to, in attempt to get your old job or something similar back. But there ARE jobs which many have taken up to support themselves and their family by doing things like working in S&R, a mail room hell even flipping burgers at a deli or waiting tables. All these people choose to be contributers by taking that 10 dollar and hour BS job instead of resorting to their free 250-480/ week government handout.

And like I said I understand the job market sucks. I myself am working an underpaid one to make ends meet since there is little to no work in my field currently. But god, 2 years of free unemployment? Makes me second think that I made a financially bad choice going back to work when I could have made nearly the same amount sitting on my keester fixing my house and playing video games or travelling around the country for a few months while I get my 99 extra weeks of $400 unemployment checks.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Yea, but at this point it look like buying votes.

I am sure those that lost thier jobs dont want to be thought of as a new welfare class. But gee what about the self employed that are talking a beating? If I had had a job I could be on the dole? This is really kissing labors # here my friends. All this really is is pumping money, borrowed money, into the economy and using the unemployed as an outlet. Like a hospital keeping someone on a respirator to soak the insurance.

Just let the thing fall on its face. Get it over with.

I saw a non-citizen work crew building a few homes today. All these citizens on the dole.....think about it.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Try to get a job here in Las Vegas. I have made pizzas before and cannot get even that crappy job, anywhere.

There is more unemployment here than even Michigan, nowadays. We are so totally screwed as this economy here is strictly tourist based.

Getting a job here is easier said than done. I know this as I've been trying for almost a year and a half. I've been told I have a job yet never got hired, I've been yelled at for even asking for a application(WE"RE NOT HIRING!!!!) making me not even want to go out some days as people are so damned rude to the unemployed it's ridiculous.

I didn't even quit my last job. I was laid off. As that screwed me and my life in Phoenix I had to move back home, here, and I'm even more screwed. I cannot even get unemployment as I haven't worked in this state.

Hundreds of applications and resumes later, I'm still waiting.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Even though there are billions of unspent money from the porkulus package which would have been worth using to fund this. We just added billions of dollars to the debt with this extension.

Makes absolutely no sense. But hey, what do you expect with Democrats in charge?

So whenever human instinct kicks in and people go all out to feed their families BY ANY MEEN NECCESSARY THEN WHAT??????? Is that what you prefer.......

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I am on unemployment. I used to make 500+ a week. On unemployment, I make 200. Not exactly "easy street".

I would gladly take a job, any job, where I could get more than $200 a week. Anyone here want to hire me? No? Then shut up about how im a lazy drunk/drug addict/loser living off your hard earned money, because Im not.

Ive had to sell most of my cool stuff, and tonight someone is coming over to look at my musical instrument, so I can pay my rent thats due in 11 days.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

link   

Would the prefer to become jobless and financially strained in a more related situation in order to feel their pain, WOULD THE??????

link   

Originally posted by SlasherOfVeils
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

I know more than a few peers of mine who could be working, have even been offered jobs, and considered them, but choose to remain on unemployment so they are free to travel, stay at home, and continue to get paid without having to work.

There are jobs out there. No they probably aren't what you are trying to apply to, in attempt to get your old job or something similar back. But there ARE jobs which many have taken up to support themselves and their family by doing things like working in S&R, a mail room hell even flipping burgers at a deli or waiting tables. All these people choose to be contributers by taking that 10 dollar and hour BS job instead of resorting to their free 250-480/ week government handout.

And like I said I understand the job market sucks. I myself am working an underpaid one to make ends meet since there is little to no work in my field currently. But god, 2 years of free unemployment? Makes me second think that I made a financially bad choice going back to work when I could have made nearly the same amount sitting on my keester fixing my house and playing video games or travelling around the country for a few months while I get my 99 extra weeks of $400 unemployment checks.

please quit your job and come get on "easy street" so i can have your job.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by aching_knuckles]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

Good luck man....
2nd

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ATLien

What? you're kidding me ?
I just missed my first check.
You better not be kidding.
I'm sitting here.
My wife is the only one working.
I'm looking at these bills in front of me.
Just beginning to mount.
Starting to get butterfies in my stomach.
That scary feeling was just starting to creep in.
I look up at the screen.
My first focus is directly on this post.
Tell me there is no God!

I don't mean Obama either.
Although thanks to him also.
I will only need to make it into September and I'm back to work.

So Stars, Flags, Kisses, cookies, good feelings and beer to all.
Whew ....They sure know how to cut it close.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

I have mentioned in both posts

I am not against unemployment benefits, its there as insurance when you get laid off.

I am however, against two additional years of it. I am also, against adding more debt when we passed the 1,000,000,000,000 over budget mark just because they don't want to dip into their "stimulus" (aka slush) fund.

And to the person getting $200 a week when they normally make 400/week? Dunno if it is state dependant but I do think you got screwed (quite possible if many of your last working weeks were partial weeks), or thats 400 gross being translated into $200 unemp checks.

There aren't a lot of jobs out there no, but I do see them. And while there are people who take even the redeye shift working at a quickcheck or 24/7 convenience store that noone else wanted, theres also people enjoying a fully paid 99+ week vacation.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by SlasherOfVeils]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
The unemployment beniifits extension has passed, billions to be paid out, to help millions of people out in this current economy. Some see this as a blessing, others are more inclinde to look at this in a totally different light.
There are many things that are effecting this country at this time frame, that are hitting the economy hard at this time frame and some of the problems that are going to eventually catch up to we the people. Yes there is a problem with alot of the jobs that are non existent and the way the government keeps spending and pushing out legislation that affects not only what goes on in DC but also the entire country.
Does the American people need help, yes, but the majority of the US population wants a hand up, not a hand out. The problem with the extended bennifits combined with the different legislations, rules, regulations and unwise decisions is going to take this country down a road of diseaster. If you have a bank or a financial adviser telling you that your policies are unwise, you would change, yet the federal government is not listening to the countries that are lending them money. We are spending more money and making promises that we are unable to sustain or keep up with, along with the current obligations that are due to the different people and countries are very bad for the government.
The federal government, needs to take a step back and look at why the economy is not moving, and why so many people are without work at this time frame then act to reverse that trend. They need to stop hiring people in the government sector and cut the pay of every one in the federal government, bringing such to in line with the private sector, instead of automatically giving huge pay raises every year. In this current atmosphere, with all of the bailouts, the reason why very little is seen is that alot of the companies and financial institutions are holding onto that money to shore up their assetts rather than passing it out to the general population, and finding loopholes in the laws to get around the law.
If the economy is to improve they need to cut spending and pay for things before they issue money as the democrats and the president promised, instead of doing deficit spending, as a short term bandaid where stitches are needed, will only lead to a far worse wound in the long run. And the people who will be responsible are those who are getting the end of the benniffits at this time frame, the children of the country.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I for one am sick of certain posters here like carseller, that has continued vto pull that arrogant b.s. about people being unemployed, if you don.t like it talk to your politicianslol. also how about you giving us some of those great jobs you have or can you offer us one? nope didn,t think so then shut tf up!

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
For those of you that have been able to manage to hold on to your job CONGRATULATIONS! To those of you that so pompous and have a dispicable a--hole attitude, let me tell youi something I would love to talk face to face with you as there are thousands of people reeling from unemployment losing everthing including their families, and to top it off, you have some jack a-- mget on here running his snout about get a job! Tell me, where? can I come stay with you?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join