It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Loop Current Destroyed ! as of 7/12/10

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I read this article and checked links. Reputable scientists with satellite photo link as well!

The Gulf Stream importance in the global climate thermoregulation processes is well assessed.The latest real time satellite (Jason, Topex/Poseidon, GeosatFollow-On, ERS-2, Envisat) data maps of May-June 2010 processed by CCAR1,2
(Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Research), checked at Frascati
Laboratories by the means of the SHT congruent calculus3 and compared with past years data, show for the first time a direct evidence of the rapid breaking of the Loop Current, a warm ocean current, crucial part of the Gulf Stream.
As displayed both by the sea surface velocity maps and the sea surface height maps, the Loop Current broke down for the first time around May 18th and generated a clock wise eddy, which is still active (see Fig. 1).

www.rense.com...

I reviewed the latest satelite photo and indeed the Current is still broken.
argo.colorado.edu...

Worse than just pollution now. They didn't commit to this breakdown being the Oil but inferred it.

[edit on 7/17/2010 by awakentired]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by awakentired

Continued.

Since comparative analysis with past satellite data until may 2010 didn’t show relevant anomalies, it might be therefore plausible to correlate the breaking of the Loop Current with the biochemical and physical action of the BP Oil Spill on the Gulf Stream. It is reasonable to foresee the threat that the breaking of a crucial warm stream as the Loop Current may generate a chain reaction of unpredictable critical phenomena and instabilities due to strong non linearities which may have serious consequences on the dynamics of the Gulf Stream thermoregulation activity of the Global Climate. Updated June 12th 2010 References:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Holy *SNIP*!!!!
If this is true then, we're in for a LONG winter

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Already posted and it's nonsense. The Gulf gyre is a regular occurrence.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Last year for example:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/569c6db5c5b4.gif[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4d6aed71c0c6.gif[/atsimg]

[edit on 7/17/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks Phage I checked the links...didn't consider that someone would go these extents to generate fake data. I only hope this isn't a dry run.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Not fake data, just some very poorly researched work. It's a well known phenomenon.
ocean.tamu.edu...

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
What would we do without Phage?
He always seems to have the answer to some of the questions.
I do mean this with fondness!

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I would think that an eddy on the Macondo well side of the current would be a good thing, helping keep the oil in the Gulf and out of the Atlantic -- although it is there already, having passed the keys long, long ago.

Is it possible to source this material directly without having someone do a report about it? ... (haven't done much digging myself).

I don't see how the current from the black smokers would go away, but I would like to know what the configuration of that current is beneath the surface.

There is one ENORMOUS diffuse methane plume at least 600 (Meters or feet?) tall floating in one area, and I heard of a Methane river (more concentrated) flowing on the floor of the Gulf .. which is the one which worries me. It was reported either by the first research ship or shortly after they did their first reports, by another group.

That area is one of the reasons the tsunami idea is so awful, if the methane went that way, it could possibly do a rapid expand, and cause even worse issues.

Thanks for the Data, I will look, and see if I can find more.

On another tac ... is it possible the oil will not stay in the mid ocean gyre?

Could it go on over to Europe, and up to the arctic? It is not plastic, and I think it might be as influenced by prevailing winds as anything else (perhaps even rotational forces?).

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Serendipity7

Most models show the oil rounding the tip of Florida and moving up the east coast then eventually across the Atlantic. By the time it gets to Europe (in a year or so) it should be highly dispersed and degraded. Probably something like what is found on California beaches continually.

Here's one:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

This eddying off does occur naturally. While the eddying off in the Gulf, in all likelihood, will not shut down the Gulf Stream, it does make hurricanes larger and more destructive because it provides a GOM heater to fuel any hurricanes that pass over it. THIS, in my opinion, is the threat this year. Large hurricanes in the GOM will spread the contamination (the oil and the dispersants) further inland.

That said,

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Serendipity7
By the time it gets to Europe (in a year or so) it should be highly dispersed and degraded. Probably something like what is found on California beaches continually.

I'm interested in the rationale behind this statement, Phage. I do understand that crude degrades over time but, as far as I know, there has been no study on the dispersants contained in this toxic mixture degrading over time. I think you may have neglected to consider the dispersants in your comment above.

I'm also curious about the basis for your comparison of the impact on European shores to what we see in California. I am fairly certain there have not been any major studies done that take into account the massive amount of contamination from the Deepwater fiasco on the mechanics of the Gulf Stream. To downplay the potential impact on the Gulf Stream from these contaminants by comparing them to "normal" conditions on the Pacific coast, in my opinion, is not very well thought out.

The mechanics of the Gulf Stream itself could be impacted by the contamination of crude and dispersants. Although highly researched, the Gulf Stream’s dynamics are not fully understood. The temperature and density of the water, however, do seem to have a great impact on the ability of the Gulf Stream to function properly. It would seem logical that contaminated water (crude and dispersants) would not react like normal seawater (nor have the same properties) and therefore the behavior of the whole Gulf Stream could be compromised by these contaminants.

The Gulf Stream is one of the strongest ocean currents in the world. It is driven by surface wind patterns and differences in water density. Surface water in the north Atlantic is cooled by winds from the Arctic. It becomes more salty and more dense and sinks to the ocean floor. The cold water then moves towards the equator where it will warm slowly. To replace the cold equator-bound water, the Gulf Stream moves warm water from the Gulf of Mexico north into the Atlantic.

[edit on 17/7/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
There is a group of Oceanographers on the way to the Gulf of Mexico to further study the effects of the oil spill on many aspects, including the Gulf Current. They are on a boat equipped with all necessary equipment. Can't remember the link. and have to get ready for work.

BTW I did more research on the articles Author. He is indeed credible and was assisted by the Univ of Colorado. The calculus referenced is unknown to me. His equations may shed more light.

His report did stat the Rapid eddy creation....One word may mean much in this report. Time will tell. They have their work cut out for them.

I translated many blogs from Italy, Spain and Germany concerning this article. Blogs types included climatologists, Oceanographers and of course greeners.

Not one debunked the article...as far as I read. I must say though. Further study is needed.
I wouldn't unpack my snowshoes just yet.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

You're right, I did not consider the dispersants. I was referring only to the oil itself. As you say, little is known about the long term characteristics of them.

I do think it unlikely that the contaminants (oil and dispersants) will have a significant effect on the flow of water in the Gulf or the Gulf Stream. Compared to the volume of water, their effect on the overall density and temperature of the currents is likely to be negligible. Time will tell.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Well, we know that methane affects the density of water as ships cannot float on methane-saturated water. I haven't read anything to suggest that oil affects the salinity or density of water and we don't know what effect the dispersant would have on things. So, I could see how this could halt the Gulf currents since methane levels in the Gulf are 100x higher than normal (read that in another thread).

Just thinking out loud.

top topics

join