It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twilight has Spoiled Both our Kids' Brains and the Name of Cryptozoology

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

thankyou, someone with sense.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

harry potter probably changed wizard lore, Merlin gonna be spinnin' his grave yo.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by awake_and_aware

At least Harry Potter had an interesting and original plotline. It's not just a vampire and a werewolf competing over a girl.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
They are just books and fictional characters: the kids know this but the fact that they are reading this series and probably actually reading other books in a similar genre is GREAT by me!

There really are not any "super heros" for this generation today and although the Twilight bunch might very well represent a sort of violence and a forbidden romance (not unlike that of Romero and Juliet?) it also implys a sense of loyalty,family,tradition,and how a rather "broken" young girl comes to terms with her own sexuality and life choices by dealing with conflicts and confusion like all teens must do.

I see it much like the conflict of" racially mixed"" relationships and the problems of "family imvolvements/judgements" that many kids have as part of their lives today...the unique and "different" in society is always a source of resentment for some who minds are closed?

Let them have at it,there are soooooo many books they COULD be reading and emulating ("American Psycho" comes to mind,LOL!) that might be FAR more "damaging" in their contents that a rather lovely and original story about good vs. evil and young love...

Perhaps some of these kids will go on to write fantasy-novels of their own having been inspired? I hope so!

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Twilight's ruined vampires more than cryptozoology, even before the onset of the sparklies, people with no clue would immediatly go "like vampires?" when told what cryptozoology was, wich honestly back then never bothered me as much as the one librarian going "oh, you mean maybe monsters"

the books are just plain bad, they're fan fics that somehow got a publishing deal, rather than languishing on a fanfic site and fading into obscurity like they should

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Twilight, blech... Sparkly Vampires, blech... Lol.

Anyway, I always preferred Ann Rice's vamp. chronicles and witchery novels, but that's just me.

I'm with the others on the "fad" part of this. The novels may stick around, but those who are so into the series will eventually grow out of it. Hey, we were all 14 once and if you remember (and admit it) you had posters of some mainstream fad around, right? The critics are already dissing the 3rd installment...

[edit on 17-7-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The OP sounds like the nut jobs who claimed harry potter was destroying the moral fabric of our youth.

The OP makes it sound crazy that people think cryptozoology includes studies of werewolves and vampires. Yet the subject covers the Ningen, which are large whale type creatures that have some of the same charastics as humans. All reports have them with human faces and some with arms and legs.

Yea, werewolves and vampires are for the idiotic, but the Ningen is a creature that deserves the time and money to study.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Tinkertrain
The OP sounds like the nut jobs who claimed harry potter was destroying the moral fabric of our youth.

Honestly, to me, it sounds like he/she sees the end result. However, he/she decided to correlate this to the cause.

Since correlation does not equal causation, especially so in this, the logic is faulty. That doesn't make the end result faulty though

It is human nature to like something. It is human nature to dislike something. In this case many natures like the same thing. To those natures that do not, it feels opressive.

This "ruining" (as per OPost) has been going on for a VERY long time. "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" and "Star Wars: IV/V/VI" Those are both recent versions of the "Twilight" crap. Only those, I happen to be of the nature to like vs loathe.

But for those that do loathe those two/four examples, they feel the same way as you do. A SW fan might exclaim that a ST movie "ruins sci-fi", vise versa.

It all boils down (again) to personal preference. Might be on a grander scale, but still personal preference. No?

"Chocolate ice cream is ruining the frozen desserts!"

(I don't like chocolate ice cream. Yet all these "crazies" eat it like it is ice crea....oh wait.)

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

I normally would stay off the bandwagon that a book could produce such a phenomenon, but I saw this with another unmentioned book/movie, not nearly as serious though. I have a friend whose daughter has gone as far as drinking her friends blood!

They all did, about 30 or so kids that are all twilighters as they call themselves, are so in to the whole vampire thing they really took it this far. Her mom took her for testing afterwards, she is fine, but jeez!

They are truly obssessed with this vampire thing.

I like the show trueblood, but I see it for what it is, a show, imaginary and fiction. Apparently teens don't see it totally this way.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
First of let me say i have never read a Twilight book nor seen any of the films, but are we suppose to believe that guy, whats his face, R Patz or something? is really a vampire? Anyone remember The Lost Boys? Now there was a vampire film lol.

seriously though, if people associate the Twilight with cryptozoology, then they are going to find out its nothing like it. Perhaps by viewing things on the real cryptozoology though they may get more interested in thr serious side of vampires and not this Hollywood latest nonsense

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedarktower
...though they may get more interested in thr serious side of vampires and not this Hollywood latest nonsense

Nah, the "real deal" is pretty boring. (Though gruesome!)

Vlad III, Prince of Wallachia (November 25, 1431 – December 18, 1476), more commonly known as Vlad the Impaler (Romanian: Vlad Ţepeș pronounced [ˈvlad ˈt͡sepeʃ] or simply as Dracula, was a three-time voivode of Wallachia, ruling mainly from 1456 to 1462.

en.wikipedia.org...

Anything else, I would have to say is "Hollywood nonsense" (Though not the "latest")

(Entertainment should replace the word Hollywood.)

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
All I can say is:
When I was a kid, none of the 2 main character would have ever made it to the movie without going through a detox clinic-gaining 10-30 punds each.
He looks like a poor sick homeless(altho not bad dressed), she looks like shes having a very severe food problem, I never got what was(is?) all the hype about...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Twilight

A girl's choice between bestiality and necrophilia.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by nicolee123nd
I'll admit it: I did start reading the first book, but I found it boring so I stopped(!), being the vivid reader I am. The movies are okay, but nothing to obsess over.

I agree wholeheartedly! I began reading the first book as well, but returned it to my nephew after a few chapters because it paled in comparison to the Harry Potter series. I know...whole different story, but imaginations like J.K. Rowling only come a long once in a while.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I respectfully disagree. Reading is a skill that people are losing rapidly in my country (America). The content is crap, yes but the process of reading, visualizing and assimilating information through the word is invaluable. There is no comparison to be drawn reading the process of reading and watching or listening to any motion picture/television production. A parallel cannot be drawn.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nicolee123nd

Oh thank the gods that there is someone who still knows that REAL vampire burn in sunlight and don't glitter like tinkerbell rolled in glitter glue. I'm sorry but Twilight is the end of the world... I think the mayans predicted that the world would end because all the twilight fans and Stephanie Meyer . The Meyerpires (My name for the twinkling vampires) are an epidemic... H1N1 is far less of an outbreak.

Xiamara
One who has survived the Meyerpire Virus.

Edit: Didn't see this post until after

Originally posted by harryhaller
Twilight

A girl's choice between bestiality and necrophilia.

Best way to describe the books, you have made my week thank you.

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Xiamara]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
ah but vampires can and do walk in day light, after all there are more than one vampires. and wolfs are not the only ones to shape shift nor a beast of the forest, little green men are not always green, nor little,and a ghost might not just say boo, brooms are not the only way to fly, X men? were are the Z men, or the Y men, fads fetishes and make believe, all child's play? blood letting, B@D S@M,and role playing, how many aviators on ATS or like sites? bat man, spider man, super man, i wonder why there is no movie about a woman? oh yes there was and is the action /warrior/sexy type. I am thinking more of a bat women/ super women/ a "Bones" crossed with say "Angel" or "The Good Wife" mixed with wolverine? then what would you say, or think? yes there are things that go bump in the night but it is not always a tree hitting the side of your house. Live in an apartment? The next time you hear the door, steeps squeak is it some one coming or going? When the lights flicker is it the power or the bulb? what if i was tell you it could be me or one like me. can i see through walls, what walls all i see is everything. i smell... oh the sweet smell of fear!...BOOO! did you feel me touch you did your power flicker, did you get the "HAIR STAND UP" feeling? Then you know. We are here, we walk among you, we watch you, can we stop you , can we read your mind? Some can, do and will, do you know who we are ? do we work for you? do you work us? are we the cop that gave you the waring, and not the ticket? did we answer your call first thing, ok maybe on second ring. let me tell you a little secret, we are all just kids, at heart. do i have any? no, Am i really 45? Yes in your years, not mine. shuush! did you hear that? what was that? that was me trying to say... Believe or not to believe, it could be just be a lie, which is part life, if it be real, then what does that make you? one last thought "CLOSE YOUR EYES,OPEN YOUR MIND, RIDE THE WIND"!
have a good one!

[edit on 19-7-2010 by bekod]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander the Great
Honestly, in 2 years, you won't hear anymore about it.

According to IMDB
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 (2011)
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2 (2012)

Id much rather have Queen of the Damned or something than Twilight,
thought ive only seen the first movie.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Honestly, I have probably bored people to death with my rants on twilight, but to answer your question, yes, twilight is ruining cryptozoology. And worse, it isn't JUST twilight, but pretty much everything stephanie meyers writes. She claims that by making it more original, it will make her characters much more realistic....I also heard a rumor that she is writing a novel about gay aliens.
So really, if this continues (which it will because nobody has taste for good literature anymore), we can say good-bye to everything paranormal as well. Stephanie is basically destroying fantasy and fiction.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The only reason why Edward is still alive is because Blade doesn't consider him a real vampire

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join