It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Suicide' Billboard Along NJ Highway Sparks Uproar

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

'Suicide' Billboard Along NJ Highway Sparks Uproar

www.wpix.com

HILLSIDE, N.J. (WPIX) - A large billboard on a stretch of a busy New Jersey highway endorsing the idea of suicide is causing quite the uproar with locals and passersby.

The 15-by-49 foot billboard reading, "My Life. My Death. My Choice. FinalExitNetwork.org" was put up June 28 on Route 22 and faces eastbound traffic.

The campaign -- which has also been launched in California and Florida -- is paid for by the Final Exit Network, a nationwide group that reportedly provides guidance to adults seeking to end a life of constant pain from incurable illness.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Washington's assisted suicide law

[edit on 7/15/2010 by SUICIDEHK45]

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I think that state assisted suicide should be legal in all 50 states. If someone is dying from an illness and want to end their own life, so be it. I think all states should have laws that are similar to the assisted suicide law in Washington state. I think it is wrong that people who are dying slowly have to suffer.

www.wpix.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I cannot say I agree with suicide, I think it personally to be the most selfish act a person can do. Having said that I would not try to keep others from doing it other than explaining that they should be looking at the positive things in life (there is always something out there that is positive).

If they chose not to listen, well so be it.

I have had family end their own life. They were not in critical condition nor were they experiencing extreme pain 24/7 (reasons I could understand suicide, though still not agreeing with it), their only problem was their outlook on their life.

Raist

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
After watching my mom die of pancreatic cancer, I've often wished she could have ended her life as she requested. She was terminal and knew it. She wanted to be able to see her friends and family one more time to tell them good bye then basically be put to sleep. As it was, her last few weeks she was pretty much out of it. If I find out I'm terminal, I think I just may take matters in my own hands.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I completely agree, if people want to stand up for rights for people that are hungry, and dying, but not by choice, I say go for it. But it pains me to know that some people will do almost anything to string along someone who"willingly" wants to end their own suffering, never thinking about the feelings of that person.

I know that it would be hard for me on a personal level, if I ever had to do it. But if we just realize that when someone else is suffering, and they blatantly say "please end my suffering", then I think they have that right.

And no court should make that decision, at least with assisted suicide you can say your proper good byes, and get your affairs in order, and maybe just maybe fulfill the last wishes of the one you love.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Is true freedom the freedom to choose when you die? I won't try to make up anything that justifies suicide other than a painful fatal disease. I still think it is a very, very sad choice for everyone involved. We're all human.

But freedom stops when you infringe on others, and suicide only infringes on the emotions of others. I don't support suicide, but I support someone else's choice of suicide, however sad (note : sad as in SAD not sad as in pitiful) it might be. Let's all hope those contemplating it can find their way.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I'm a stickler (sp?) for not posting movie spoilers, but your post made me think of Million Dollar Baby. I would recommend it for anyone interested in this topic. It is a fascinating topic, by the way. Raises all kinds of moral dilemmas and questions. Really makes you think.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I think people that are pro suicide are idiots, state supported, dr supported, or otherwise. However, I do support their right to free speech and their right to promote their cause.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Uproar

I don't understand. The website mostly appears to be about reassuring people that it's ok to kill themselves if they feel that would be more dignified than living.

What's the problem?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

I think people that are pro suicide are idiots

Why?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I completely agree with this message. It should be left to the individual as to how he or she expires. We euthanize our pets for Christ's sake! Let each choose his own exit from this life. I trust that each of us possess the intellect required to make such a decision.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I found troubling that they clearly state Florida would be a good choice because of the elderly...

As if old meant desire to die.

As much as I can suffer in my body, or in my mind, never would I desire to end my life before its time...

THAT looks like a plan from the "Elites".

After the useless eaters, we now have the toothless eaters...

Still, Jerry Dicin , founder of FinalExitNetwork, a psychologist of 30 years, advocates the active euthanasia of Alzheimer's patients!

Probably a lovin' grandad...

www.desmoinesregister.com...:+desmoinesregister/O pinion+(DesMoinesRegister.com+-+OPINION)

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Allowing assisted suicides can lead to dangerous things:

"Over the past two decades," Hendin continued, "the Netherlands has moved from assisted suicide to euthanasia, from euthanasia for the terminally ill to euthanasia for the chronically ill, from euthanasia for physical illness to euthanasia for psychological distress and from voluntary euthanasia to nonvoluntary and involuntary euthanasia. Once the Dutch accepted assisted suicide it was not possible legally or morally to deny more active medical (assistance to die), i.e. euthanasia, to those who could not effect their own deaths. Nor could they deny assisted suicide or euthanasia to the chronically ill who have longer to suffer than the terminally ill or to those who have psychological pain not associated with physical disease. To do so would be a form of discrimination. Involuntary euthanasia has been justified as necessitated by the need to make decisions for patients not [medically] competent to choose for themselves" (Hendin, 1996). Hendin describes how, for a substantial number of people in the Netherlands, physicians have ended their patients' lives without consultation with the patients.

Source

You also have to wonder what happens to your life insurance policy if you choose to end your suffering early. Most policies won't pay out if someone commits suicide.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that life insurance companies contributed to the funding of those billboards.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
It is their choice. I had one friend make it, first to not undergo anymore grueling treatment, and then, at the end, to go. As soon as she simply made the decision, she was at peace.

I can see why some would be outraged at this, but it's not really they who are suffering and dying slowly and painfully, is it? They can have their opinions, but the have no say. Some people people in this situation really have nobody or they don't know how to talk to their families, caregivers, or physicians.

Either way, imagine how isolated they alone they must feel. I'm glad there's someone out there for them to talk to and who can assist and guide them.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

That's some interesting info, thanks for sharing. That puts a different perspective on things, now doesn't it? Maybe not only are insurance companies funding these signs but the elites may be putting up some money as well. What better way to get rid of the "poor" who couldn't afford proper treatment/ medication.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

My brother has multiple sclerosis, and he suffers a great deal. Constantly. He lost all his friends because of it, and thought for a while to ending his life.

But he went out, and found a community that helps him, cares for him, and loves him, and he doesn't want to die anymore, even tho he can't stand it. He found new friends and a new strength.

And before you ask, he choose to live very far from where I am, so we can't meet too often.

I understand the principle, we should all have the right to chose. The problem is when you make a list for those who can't decide, like FortAnthem posted.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

My beloved younger brother took his own life for "selfish" reasons, so I empathize with you. I think suicide is incredibly painful for the family and loved ones when done for the wrong reasons.

But I support 100% people who are suffering and who cannot be helped by other methods who want to have a way to end their own lives respectfully, and under supervision. No one should have to suffer for prolonged periods if there genuinely is no way to ease their pain, be it emotional or physical, provided they have really tried those means.

I would not let my pets suffer prolonged agony if I could not medicate them or fix what was hurting them, and I would not want a loved one who could not be helped to suffer either.

Im really sorry about your family member. Its heartbreaking, and I feel for you. My brother killed himself 18 years ago, and it has only been the last couple years that I can think about him without feeling pain. I still miss him. And if I think about his death I still mourn him. But now I can also think about the good things in his life, and my time with him, and not focus entirely on the loss.

My best to you.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
...Can the gorvernment really stop someone that wants to die?
I support the Suicide movement. It's just that, I'm kinda scared if someone signs away my life if I can't chose myself (ie: coma, vegetation stage) bc there are three stories I know of where a family member was in coma for 12 years (more or less) and right before the family was about to pull the plug, the person woke up. After all, if someone can decide your death...and you went into coma right after writing them into your will... well, there can be reasons why someone would want to see you dead. But besides that, hoorah for suicide!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

We do not encourage anyone to end their life, do not provide the means to do so, and do not actively assist in a person’s death. We do, however, support any member who requests it when medical circumstances warrant their decision.

They don´t encourage it, they do not provide the way to die, and they do not assist in any way.

They do however support you when medical circumstances warrant their decision.

This does not quite add up to me. Call me stupid but doesn´t the first statement collide with the 2nd statement in all ways.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Well, you raise an interesting point. That of available medicine.

A friend of my brother, also suffering from multiple sclerosis, was offered a new treatment. It cost 5000 dollars a month. After 5 years in a wheelchair, he began walking again after only two months of treatment.

He found a new job, was working hard and then, the government sent him a letter telling him it was not profitable for them to pay for his medicine. He's back in his wheelchair.

How do you think he feels, and why?

Let's not be so quick to help another ends his life. Often, there are options that are simply not allowed.

Another example; more than 25 years ago, a glue was invented to put back broken bones. After 24 hours, you could walk on a broken femur, and a month later, the glue was replaced by new bones material. It was said that it could heal osteoporosis by putting this glue in the voids.

After the first successful trials, Netherlands was to be the center of a vast study. Period. That's the end of the story. We never heard of it again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join