It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teens Now Getting High Off "Digital Drugs"

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CAELENIUM

Thus if the kids are listening to "irritating noises" it might simply be that the BETA brainwave types have found for themselves a new kind of noise pollution where by to stimulate their BETA brainwave syndrome ?

This is very interesting to me. Why? Because I can't hear it.
I just cannot hear 'music' in some of the acid rock, etc, that's 'out there'. And no not because I'm prejudice or wanting to be a downer on kids and what their experience.

I'm saying, I honestly CAN'T hear the music! All I hear is jumbled horrific sounds grating on me - resulting in my getting irritated and if I can't get away from the noise I will surely break something internally.

I've always wondered why kids/people are drawn to that kind of experience.

What is it they're hearing, I am not.

Though I don't understand it, it does reinforce my belief, you get the right frequency and the right sound for an individual and they can reach a type of 'high' - just not what's described in the article, and definitely not something to be concerned over.

Now if you're talking about people who listen to some of that crazy so called 'music' that's nothing but KILL KILL KILL crap - yeah, I could see a problem in that... But that's for another thread maybe...

peace and Thank you again...

Edit: spelling lol

[edit on 15-7-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by CAELENIUM

Thus if the kids are listening to "irritating noises" it might simply be that the BETA brainwave types have found for themselves a new kind of noise pollution where by to stimulate their BETA brainwave syndrome ?

This is very interesting to me. Why? Because I can't hear it.
I just cannot hear 'music' in some of the acid rock, etc, that's 'out there'. And no not because I'm prejudice or wanting to be a downer on kids and what their experience.

I'm saying, I honestly CAN'T hear the music! All I hear is jumbled horrific sounds grating on me - resulting in my getting irritated and if I can't get away from the noise I will surely break something internally.

I've always wondered why kids/people are drawn to that kind of experience.

What is it they're hearing, I am not.

Though I don't understand it, it does reinforce my belief, you get the right frequency and the right sound for an individual and they can reach a type of 'high' - just not what's described in the article, and definitely not something to be concerned over.

Now if you're talking about people who listen to some of that crazy so called 'music' that's nothing but KILL KILL KILL crap - yeah, I could see a problem in that... But that's for another thread maybe...

peace and Thank you again...

Edit: spelling lol

[edit on 15-7-2010 by silo13]

I suspect that there is a time for everything ? A time to be born and a time to die. A time for waking up and a time for lying down to sleep. A time to speak and a time to listen. A time to eat and a time to vomit. A time to embrace and a time to run away. A time to sow seeds and the time to harvest.

In music there are various types of scale. These various music scale each represent the various colours of the soul. Dischordant sounds and "irritating noises" appeal to some, because that is their BETA brainwave state of mind. As soon as we apply the ALPHA STIM therapy, they change over to the ALPHA brainwave state of mind, and thus they become interested in the Harmonic Scales of the musical landscape.

One or other of the Greek Philosophers or was it that Chinese bloke LaoZu or Confucius who said "Show moderation in all things, because too much of anything makes it a poison". Therefore, use the ALPHA STIM therapy sparingly. It is a very strong medicine.

[edit on 15/7/2010 by CAELENIUM]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I use Binaural frequencies all the time , mainly to improve memory and to help me sleep , I have noticed an improvement in my memory and to be honest it's hard work finding the right frequency even though there are lists out on the web.
As for the junkie part? WTF are they talking about ? the most you'll get is a headache but I suppose thats what their after at the end, but the most 'effect' I have ever experienced is when I was listening to beats once, it felt as if my legs were trembling but they weren't.
You gott have the right program AND decent even headphones and the time to listen to it, I may have to see what all the fuss is about and then offer an opinon one way or other.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I use these all the time.

It will help you quit and stay clear of actual drugs.

It's much healthier, and if you try doing these beats with ANYTHING in your system, it won't work and make you sick.

These beats will keep you sober.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
These binaural beats might have a lot to do with a similar optical interference pattern known as Moiré.

When two audio signals with a small step in frequencies are played together, a "third" lower frequency signal emerges.

The wikipedia article seems informative enough Moiré Pattern.

What really struck me as interesting though were the Moiré Paintings

I wonder what kind of effects one would get by translating the audio files into images.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
They do in fact make you high and feel good and think more deeply.

That's the whole point.

As long as there is no damage to your health there is nothing wrong with that.

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Teens Now Getting High Off "Digital Drugs"

www.newson6.com

I-dosing on "digital drugs" is becoming an alarming new trend amongst teens.

Web sites are luring kids with free downloads of "digital drugs," which are audio files designed to induce drug-like effects.

The digital drugs use binaural or two-toned technology to alter your brainwaves and mental state.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Ohh no better call the police
what are they going to do? ban music?
You are right, it's just like smoking a joint and they can't do crap about it, and I'm glad. It will calm you down, it will improve you, it will wake you up.

They are probaly going to pass some law stating it';s against the law to listen to music, to view images and to walk on the street, because if you walk in some way the waves will affect your brain. Of course the waves affect your brain, since we live in an energy pattern. Why are people so afraid of what they are ?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Here is the abstract from this research paper

Foster, Dale S., Ph.D. EEG and Subjective Correlates of Alpha-Frequency Binaural-Beat Stimulation Combined with Alpha Biofeedback

The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of alpha-frequency binaural-beat stimulation combined with alpha biofeedback on alpha-frequency brain-wave production and subjective experience of mental and physical relaxation. The study compared the alpha brain- wave production and subjective report of mental and physical relaxation of four groups, each of which received brief relaxation response training and one of four treatments: 1) alpha-frequency binaural-beat stimulation, 2) visual alpha- frequency brain-wave biofeedback, 3) alpha- frequency binaural-beat stimulation combined with visual alpha biofeedback, or 4) artificially produced ocean surf sounds. Sixty volunteer undergraduate and graduate students were randomly assigned to the four groups and instructed to utilize their respective treatment as the "mental device" in Benson's relaxation response paradigm while they relaxed with eyes open for twenty minutes.

Two 2 X 4 mixed ANOVAs revealed that all groups evidenced increased subjective report of relaxation and increased alpha production. An interaction effect was found in which the group with both alpha binaural beats and alpha biofeedback produced more treatment alpha than the group with alpha biofeedback alone. Additionally, nine of the fifteen subjects with both binaural beats and feedback reported being able to control alpha production via their focus on the alpha binaural beats. The data suggest the possibility that binaural beats can be used to evoke specific cortical potentials through a frequency-following response. Further investigation is warranted into the possibilities of using binaural beats alone and in conjunction with brain wave biofeedback to promote the self- regulation and management of consciousness.

read the whole paper

For those wondering, an ANOVA is a statistical test used to "partition an observed variance into components due to different sources of variation" (more details at wikipedia)

In this specific experiment, there are four sources of variation:
1) alpha-frequency binaural-beat stimulation,
2) visual alpha- frequency brain-wave biofeedback,
3) alpha- frequency binaural-beat stimulation combined with visual alpha biofeedback
4) artificially produced ocean surf sounds.

I wonder whether source 4 would be considered a valid control group, but I think that using plain white noise would not be appropriate, since a state of relaxation is intended.

It is a very interesting paper to read, and the conclusions leans toward effectiveness as a method for enhancing alpha brain wave production, though further research is recommended.

I got the reference to this paper from The Alpha Waves entry at Skepdic which states:

Alpha waves are oscillating electrical voltages in the brain. They oscillate in the range of 7.5-13 cycles per second. Because alpha waves occur in relaxed states such as meditation and under hypnosis, they have been mistakenly identified as desirable. Alpha waves also occur under unpleasant conditions and when one is not relaxed They are not a measure of peace and serenity, nor are they indicative of an altered state of consciousness. Alpha waves are indicative of lack of visual processing and lack of focus: the less visual processing and the more unfocused, generally the stronger the alpha waves. If you close your eyes and don't do any deep thinking or concentrating on vivid imagery, your alpha waves will usually be quite strong.

..continues..

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
What bothers me is Skepdic´s lack of clear reference to the passage:

Alpha waves are indicative of lack of visual processing and lack of focus: the less visual processing and the more unfocused, generally the stronger the alpha waves.

So I decided to further investigate.

After a little googling, one can find all kinds of hypothesis regarding alpha waves, including this amusing page on the causes of Internet and TV addiction, which at also quotes another article:

“The second type of wave and I should say the most widely known and publicized is the Alpha wave. Most people equate this wave with ESP, meditation, and all sorts of strange ideas. The truth is the alpha waves account for only half the story. Alpha ranges between 7-12 hertz and is prominent during relaxation mostly with eyes closed, day dreaming, and upon deep self-introspection.

The 1960's made this activity famous when it was found out that cannabis or marijuana, which grew naturally, induced this state in people [Note: I do not advocate drug use]. Scientist have found out that it was the chemical THC that caused this euphoric feeling by being a substitute for the brain's natural pleasure chemicals which are called endorphins.” 'Brain Activity' by Terrance A. Bastian

I also am not advocating any drug use, let´s make it clear too.

However, the connection is made right there, at Terrance A.Bastian´s article.

So these alpha-waves relaxation techniques predate the digital era by at least one, and possibly more generations.

Now to the fun part, a couple of Israeli geeks developed a game out of EEG measurements:

We implemented in this project a game based on EEG recordings. Two competitors are connected to EEG electrodes and are trying to win the game by becoming more relaxed than their competitor. This is done by monitoring the Alpha waves activity of the individual and comparing it. The project was done as an eng. final project for our university (The Hebrew University Of Jerusalem), in cooperation with the Bloomfield science museum of Jerusalem. The device will be exhibited in the upcoming brain exhibition in the museum.

Their site provides the necessary schematics for the electrodes, digital circuit and the C++ program to display the measurements.

Sounds like fun!

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Binaural beats have no more effect than listening to any other sounds.

A 2008 study at Hofstra University played two different binaural beats and a control sound (a babbling brook) to patients with high blood pressure. There was no difference between the groups.

source: Government Study

There is no evidence they do anything at all only thing they have going for them is the power of the suggestions and people with gullible minds but I suppose if you consider a headache a high they may be for you.

[edit on 15-7-2010 by Teknikal]

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal

So, we have two different scientific studies with diverging results.

No problem, who said the road to knowledge is a straight line?

Let´s have a closer look towards the end of the abstract of the very article you provided (since I could not download the paper itself):

...One reason for this may be that the sounds were not played long enough for the brain to either perceive and/or resonate to the frequency. Another reason why the sounds did not affect blood pressure and pulse may be due to the participant's age since older brains may not perceive the binaural beats as well as younger brains.

Hummm... Interesting, isn´t it?

Let me also point out that both experiments counted with a very limited pool of participants, which renders most statistical evaluations rather dubious.

What do we do in this kind of situation?

Choose the one that best fits our ideology? Do some sort of meta-analysis, somehow merging the results of the two studies, as many parapsychologists love to do?

Or simply admit that maybe further research is necessary?

Which do you think would be the more cautious approach?

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by cheddartoes

Most people don’t know this, but the static on your radio, or television is partly composed of the radiation left over from the Big Bang.

I watch it sometimes and end up in an altered state of consciousness!

"In 1965, Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson published a scientific study which proved that a radio signal with a wavelength of 7.3 cm was being emitted uniformly throughout all parts of the sky. This signal became known as cosmic microwave background radiation. Penzias and Wilson won the Nobel Prize in physics in 1978 for their findings. It is believed that this cosmic static is comprised of photons of energy that are still cooling 15 billion years after the Big Bang. If you turn a television to a channel with no station, you will see this static and given the level of intelligence of most TV programs, this static is about the only thing worth watching."

source webcache.googleusercontent.com...:-HccNRWtqagJ:uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index%3Fqid%3D20080616151357AA9WLml+white+noise+backgr ound+radiation&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Unfortunately, in the past several days major media outlets have picked up on this ridiculous "story". Time now has a story located here: newsfeed.time.com...

Seriously, lets not bother doing any actual research, not to mention lets not bother applying simple common sense, and just hop on the "this is a drug, oh no!" bandwagon.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I listen to a large variety of rather fringe genre's of electronic music, and I can understand what you mean. A lot of the music isn't for everyone.

It's the entire experience that really draws people to it. You need to remember, a lot of this kind of music has a large psychedelic background and for decades it has been played at raves.

Hell, people don't really know this, but there was a second summer of love in Europe in the late 80's. Once again because of a new uprising in psychedelic use and the exploding rave scene. And it was during the summer of love that the Roland 303 started being used and created the Acid house and Trance music scenes.

If you've never been to rave; when you have hundreds even thousands of people, listening to the same thing, on powerful psychedelic drugs, possibly even yourself as well, the experience is out of this world. You can literally feel the energy of the crowd as it syncs with the music and the lights.

A lot of it is also exploration. You need to keep in mind that these genres are fairly young. The OLDEST electronic genres date back to the late 70's and 80's. A lot of the stuff today though has only been around since the 90's, and even later.

It's an incredibly dynamic branch of music, with tons of genres, sub genres, sub sub genres, and mixing of variety of genres as well. Of any form of music it has more exploration and combining of genres of music from around the world. Songs can range from 70 beats a minute to 200 beats a minute.

It's really the whole experience and culture of the music that brings people into it. There's a reason why it is the de facto party, club, rave, doof, etc, etc music in the world.

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   

UPDATE

This is just unreal - Oklahoma even sent letters home to parents.

'They saw Demons?'

Notice though, after all the propaganda the last sentences contain words like, 'placebo', 'more research', etc...

peace

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I can imagine that the idea of a movement amongst teens to access their right hemisphere and wake up is really really terrifying him. But this will never work, they will never turn music or frequencies into narcotics. And the more they say this the more who will try it.

Unless this is what they want, and they are actually using reverse psychology. But then they're not all that bright, if they really think its just about pacifiying people, they dont know what happens if you spend time meditating to binaurals. Alpha and theta are good. Also natural frequencies, whales and dolphins. If you ask yourself who you are over and over and why you're here, sooner or later you will start to get answers.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

The only digital highs I've ever experienced were:

1) Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon

2) Amplified space noise from the voyager missions.

They used to have like a 5-CD set of amplified space nosie that had everything from amplified auroras to thunder on jupiter. Put some glow in the dark stars on your ceiling fan, put in one of those CD's and hang on!!

-ChriS

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I LOVE. HOW certain substances always falls under this one category and that is "DRUGS".

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY SUBSTANCES AND TONICS THAT SOCIETY HAS DEMONIZED FALLS UNDER THIS "DRUGS" CATEGORY?

Talking to my neighbor, he would bring up "DRUGS" and how they can have a negative impact on you BUT WHEN I ASK HIM FOR SPECIFICS AS IN what kind of drugs, He says "oh, grass" & changes the conversation & never actually elaborating on it!

DRUGS is a word that triggers a switch which turns on ones ignorance on just like the word CONSPIRACY and YOU know this

But, I fully understand now where he was coming from because I saw the drug reports on the news channel myself and to my surprise, THE NEWS CHANNEL LABELS IT AS "DRUGS" too and ONLY "DRUGS" too.

dangerous.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by la vie]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by la vie

So many things about popular culture are given a label these days. I always wondered how all of a sudden everyone knows a kid with ADHD or hyperactivity disorder. Suddenly, everyone has issues!! I started thinking about why that is.. I think it has alot to do with society always exploiting people's fears, sensitivites and paranoia!

If everyone in America went to a shrink today, I could easily see 90% of us being diagnosed with personality disorders and "histrionic features"...

They'd probably try to prescribe some drug to fix it that would be a hell of alot more potent than what some people take/smoke recreationally.

The only thing "drug"-like about music is the emotions and sensations you feel when you listen to said music.. Which is why we love music! If that's a drug, we're all druggies!!

Try the last 3 tracks of Tool-Aenima, Pink Floyd - Relics, Gustav-Holst's famous symphony "The Planets", some kids might have the same effect from hearing Dora the Explorer!

-ChriS

[edit on 17-7-2010 by BlasteR]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

The District's BLOCKED You Tube, the sites that sell I-Dose and sent letters to parents about this 'dangerous new fad'

'It's very dangerous, very very dangerous'...

You've got to listen to this video to get the full scope of the hysteria here.
No other word for it.
Hysteria.

[edit on 17-7-2010 by silo13]

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join