It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military expansion of underground facility perimeter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
For many years it has been known by local folks that the United States Air Force has an underground installation buried in the mountains of Oxford County, Maine. It's only decearnable identity is a long dirt road through the woods and mountains that opens up into three HUGE antenna arrays (Some times you can see dead game within the array's transmistion fields) and some out buildings, 3 of which appear to be identical in construction, surrounded by chain linked fence with the standard shoot to kill signage.
Back in 1996 while out hunting my father and I decided to see what the facility was all about and actually drove through the gate right up to the center arrays out building. We knocked on the facility door and a civilian guard answered it. It was chilly outside so he allowed us inside. Looking around all that was visible was a desk and chair with a CPU, an elevator and a generator room. We asked for a tour, the guard got on the phone and spoke to a Major who obviously scolded the guard who put the phone down and said "We aren't providing tours any more." He then asked us to leave.
For many years we have hunted and road the four wheelers all around this facility, which until recently was situated at a radius of only the furthest point of the arrays. Now the perimeter has been extended, seemingly overnight to roughly a ten mile radius from the center of the compound.
I am not sure what the facility is used for or why the perimeter has now been extended.

You will find the Google Earth coordinates below. Does anyone know anything about this facility of the perimeter expansion?

45°09'29.21" N 69°51'09.83" W

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Hmmm

Interesting indeed. I've lived here in Maine for 8 years and this is the first that I've heard about it.

You know what? I've got absolutely nothing to do this weekend. If you give me a more precise location, I would be more than glad to take a trip up to old Oxford county this weekend and check it out.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Using the coordinates provided, I'm not seeing Any radar arrays ... or at least they don't appear to be radar arrays ... but look more like two long series of wind/windmill turbines.

maps.google.com

???

[edit: to add]

Yep .. and a quick search turns up just that

Former Maine defense site eyed for wind

AUGUSTA, Maine (AP) — A former Cold War-era radar site and timberland not far from an existing wind farm are the latest sites in Maine that are being considered for large wind energy projects.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Good eyes!

I was just looking at it and trying to figure out what those were there in a row behind the building. Now that you mention windmills, thats all I see.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Although there are a few windmill projects scattered throughout the state, I still wouldn't rule out this base. Would it not be a good source for power?

Has anyone else ever heard of such a base here in Maine?

I am interested in this and would like to get some more information.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
What i was thinking has already been said, a DUMB would need plenty of power. The wind farm would mean they can generate their own electricity, just in case something happened to the national grid.

So we have perimeter extension and a wind farm upon an old military base........hmmm, does make you think, even if just a little.

CaF

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Yes, it does make you think. I would like to know what eveidence (other than the OP stating that there was an elevator inside the building) there is to suggest that this site is a DUMB.

I would love to check this place out, but it is a 2 1/2 hour drive for me.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by JackCash]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JackCash

Well its a few more mile than that for me lol.

The OP stated that it was 'well known' amongst locals, maybe theres a local who posts here, it wouldnt surprise me.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bkfd54

Look forward to finding out more about this site. Come on locals....

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Just found a little info

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Cold War radar station eyed as wind power site

This article was posted on 7/4/10, so it is extremely recent.

It looks like the GSA is currently in control of the facility, and a sale to the Penobscot Indian Nation is being considered for them to build and operate a wind farm.

The facility was originally an over the horizon backscatter radar installation, with a 33,000 square foot computer facility in Bangor. It was taken off of active military use in 1994 and was then opperated for some time by Martin Marietta (currently Lockheed Martin). They apprently monitored air traffic and helped to study solar flares and other atmospheric anomolies, until 1997 when it was shutdown for good.

Perhaps the elevator that the OP saw was access to underground tunnels where the original radar equipement fed from the three main array sites, back to their repective outpost buildings.

The fact that a sale to an Indian Tribe is being considered, tells me that there is nothing under ground that could be nefarious....They would never sell a facility like that, especially to what is considered a foreign nation. My 2 cents.

Fry

[edit on 7/9/2010 by frey51]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by bh325es

Nice find, bh325es!

Initially an Over-The-Horizon radar setup ... and after the Cold war, turned over for counter-narcotics use.

I also have to agree with Catch_a_Fire, in that the wind turbines would make a perfect cover and even a source for power all the while ... IF there's actually any sort of underground base at that location.

An Environmentally-Correct means of empowering D.U.M.B.

Oh the irony.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JackCash

Route 201, past Solon, into Bingham. Take a right on route 16 and the dirt road starts on the left I believe. I think the lead rd is called Stream Rd.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
At camp this weekend....There are absolutely no wind turbines at the facility as seen through binoculars. A lot of white vehicles though....more to follow...

top topics

join