It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

82 year old man faces 1st degree murder charges for defending his life and property.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Not taking either side on this issue. Check this out! A couple years back my step daughter was visiting and late at nite I herd a noise in the driveway looked outside and somone was in her car. Went and snached a young man out of the vehicle, woke up the family and asked her if she knew him, she said no. After frisking and some questions and taking his wallet he thougt he was in his gilfriends car. I let him go. The next day the gilfriend arrived at my door with boyfriend embarressed and affraid to pick up his wallet. the car she was driving was exactly like my step daughters to include the different color outside mirrors an old buick park ave. The young lady and him were fighting and she was about 4 houses down, the homes looked very similer. I feel good the way it turned out.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
S&F OP

Well thats what are s*itty system is all about
same thing in canada a honest citizen gets stopped with a weapon and he goes to jail for 5 years minimum , criminal aka (suspect LOL) shots gun in robbery , charge of possession of illegal weapon is always droped !!!! Even murder using gun , again weapons offense dropped ! Total crap is what its all about , so guys the moral of the story is kill em and bury in back yard and shut up ! Thats legal since you didn't get caught .

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Survivorman

Actually, kind of a gray area there, but if someone tries to run you over with a truck, you aren't allowed to reciprocate with deadly force?

It seems it's ONLY ok to shoot somebody inside your home now, and ONLY if they are trying to kill you or use deadly force against you. Talk about subversive gun control.
In this regard, if you come home and someone is assaulting one of your family members, you'd better just call the police and wait patiently for them to arrive and make the best of it. Why not offer the intruder some coffee while you wait?

I'm a bit surprised at how many people defend the "precious lives" of thieving s***bags. I wonder how many people will feel the same if it were to begin to happen on a larger scale. What happens if there's an economic collapse and what you have is all you have? People are taking absolutely everything in a mass panic... Does the sanctity of life still prevail, or will you find your sense of morality slip away situationally? It's a dilemma isn't it?

I guess those of us who prefer to value our lives and property are going to have to do so situationally and conditionally. There's a new vibe here - and it's going to play a major role in the area of immigration reform as well as the future of the Second Amendment.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
My cousin here in N.C. married a Highway patrolman. One night several years ago he heard a noise outside and seen someone breaking into his Patrol car. He ran outside and the man through a tire iron at him and he shot and killed the man. End of story. He wasn't charged with anything nor taken out of service. If I would have done that I would still be sitting in prison today, my cousins husband even told me this...There are 2 laws. One for us and 1 for them.....

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster

I can't believe people think its ok to murder someone over property loss, sure they should be punished. But not murdered.

We are heading towards a state of government (NWO) created anarchy.
The laws against drugs,prostitution and gambling are creating a criminal underground that probably already out numbers the LEOs.

The laws against carry a concealed weapon mean the criminals know
most people are unarmed.

The prosecution of those who defend themselves serves the criminals more than any real sense of justice. It is the government destroying your rights.

A man without property is a homeless beggar. If you lose your property you may lose your life.

If they steal your trailer today and your car tomorrow how will you go to work,or go shopping? Not everyone has insurance.Not everyone lives next door to walmart.
(And I am a liberal)

[edit on 8-7-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
This isn't the first time this scum bag DA has gone after innocent elderly people.

His name is Scott Storey, a slime ball if there ever was one. Check out this story, from last week.

Wrongly Jailed Grandmother Cleared, Wants Apology

WHEAT RIDGE, Colo. -- A 65-year-old woman wrongly arrested and accused of being the mastermind behind a sophisticated identity theft ring wants an apology from the Jefferson County district attorney.

“From the very beginning, when I reported it to the Wheat Ridge Police Department, I was treated more like a criminal than a victim,” Sommerville told 7NEWS via webcam from her California home.

“It’s unfortunate,” Storey said. “We had enough evidence to file on her, and we dismissed the case as soon as we felt like we could go no further. I’m not going to apologize to Ms. Sommerville.”

www.thedenverchannel.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I'd say, give the dude back his trailer and stop pampering these damn thieves with milk and cookie. He's an old guy for God's sake! What are you people doing with our taxpayers' money - taking it away and giving it to the enemies, too?

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
The only good thief is a dead thief.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bowlbyville

thats why booby traps (shotgun rigged to door) are illegal. the point being: if that were EMS coming to save him from a heart attack, firefighters putting out a fire, or cops responding to a break-in, they would be endangered as well.

booby traps do not have the ability to make the distinction between friend and foe.

he should have just waited for them to enter.

state laws vary. in some it's pretty much okay to blast trespassers on sight, others require that deadly force is only an option when a life is in danger.

remember back in the day when folks would place broken glass in the mortar atop brick walls? talk about a deterrent.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Chances are this man will not face any time. It will be plead down to a smaller charge.

In my state you cannot protect personal or real property with deadly force or you will face charges. Deadly force can only be used to protect life or prevent a bodily harm or death of another person.

In other words make sure the person is in your house or coming after you if you shoot them. Then you are justified and will not face charges. Do not shoot somebody running away and if you do get a good attorney.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Noromyxo
reply to post by Survivorman

Unbelievable !
Where did this happen ?
Here in Texas, he would be no-billed by a Grand Jury in a flash !
Remember Joe Horn ? He's the one who killed two burglars robbing his
neighbor's house in Baytown, TX. GJ No-billed him.
The burglars were illegal aliens (Surprise)
A lot of people wanted Mr. Horn crucified, but justice prevailed.

We have the castle doctrine. It extends to the boundaries of your property. I agree with Joe Horn solely on the fact that someone was stealing from his neighbor... unfortunately it wasn't his property and he put himself in danger on that one. He got off lucky.
Had the guy in the OP been in Texas, this would have been a non-issue other than lulac and la-raza being pissed off that some racist tried to kill some poor immigrants...
(sarcasm)

[edit on 9-7-2010 by brutalsun]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster
This almost exact thing happened in the city I live in earlier this year.

A man looked outside, or heard noises that caught his attention. On looking outside he saw a man stealing his 4 wheeler and proceeded to shoot and kill the thief.

He is now being charged with murder.

I have to say I agree. Your personal property is not more valuable than someones life. And laws are put in place to keep this type of thing from happening, you can't shoot someone who is trespassing on your yard anymore than you can shoot someone for stealing your garden gnomes.

If a person is inside your house, you do have the right (to an extent) to shoot the person.

His life wasn't threatened and he has no right to murder someone over a trailer.

I can't believe people think its ok to murder someone over property loss, sure they should be punished. But not murdered.

Whats next? Killing a guy who stole your newspaper? Shooting kids taking shortcuts through your yard, cause they might steal your lawn jockey?

Link to earlier mentioned story...

Deputy prosecuting attorney Joe Graham says citizens can defend themselves inside their own home and on their property outside their home but they can't use deadly force solely in defense of property.

Pearcy homeowner shoots, kills robber

Pearcy man arrested for fatally shooting thief

In the end, this guy shot his friend over his four wheeler.

While I'm not defending the thief, its sad that material possessions are held to a higher value than life.

I hope everyone here who downloads illegal gets shot in the face by whoever owns the rights to what you download.

(not really, but hopefully you get my point)
You are correct man, its like you took the took the words out of my mouth. I agree 100% with you.

I can believe in beating up the guy you know, but attempt to kill someone over a piece of property.

Lets say you do not agree, and if some of you have kids and those kids tried to steal something as a joke and someone attempted to shoot they and your son was killed. Would you bltch and be a puss about saying "jacob was a good by, they had no right to kill him"

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I have read this before. Its very sad.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
It may be thrown out but its likely iffy because it is outside the actual building, is it classed as defending your property even if it is outside? debatable.
Be thankful you live in a country where you can defend your property without having to think through all the legalities and possible prison time for hurting those poor burglars.
Pretty sure you will have heard of Tony Martin before but if not here's the wiki.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I want to effing BREAK something.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I can't believe all the "hug your poor little mistreated criminals" posts in this thread. None of you who are bashing the old man have said the slimeball dirtbags shouldn't have been stealing. It's "oh that man should go to jail for shooting because he doesn't have the right to do that. They were just stealing something of his and that doesn't mean he can try to keep it".

It's way overdue and about time the lefties are kept out of creating laws in this country. Stiffer punishments for crimes and more rights of the victims are in order. Step on someone's property to steal something? Better be wearing a flack jacket because Joe Public has the right to shoot your azz dead. Get arrested and convicted of anything? Prepare to be busting rocks, digging holes, clearing swamps, cleaning garbage dumps, scrubbing city sidewalks with a toothbrush, sleeping on a straw-filled matress with a 20-watt bulb for light and 3 bowls of gruel a day. Smart-off to a guard and get a mouthfull of soap. Hit a guard and get your fingers broke. Oh, and screw that 3-strikes and you're out BS; you get 1 chance at redemption, not 2. You get paroled and screw up again? Locked up for life scumbag. State owns you. No cable, correspondence courses, congjugal visits, organized activities, special-guest concerts, snack-bar, care packages, nothing but your cheap little cell and religious service on Sunday.

Can you tell that this ticks me off a bit?

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
"oh but prison is supposed to be about rehabilitation. Without cable and education and comfort, one can't try and make that criminal an un-criminal."

I am just replying to myself before you failers do.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I hope he gets sent down, he killed someone for theft, he ended someones life. Guns should be banned worldwide.

The theif deserved to go to jail for his crime, not have his life ended by some gun weilding maniac!

One of these days people will realise guns just aint cool.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
The man wasn't in a life or death situation, so he had no reason to fire upon them.

1st degree is a total joke though, considering it's actually 2nd degree. As he hadn't planned to shoot them, it occurred in the moment as they were stealing from him.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
All of you saying his life wasn't threatened so he shouldn't have shot them, what would you recommend?

It's real simple: When you violate someone else' rights, you forfeit your own. Period. no, that's not law, or biblical doctrine, it's effing common sense.

And, the crime begat back on you, should be worse than the one you purpetrated in the first place. (After all, the original crime on the victim, was worse than if he'd have just been left alone).

They're criminals - fvck their rights! That's one of the problems with this country!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join