It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pensacola beach opens against federal advice; 400 people sick

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeffrybinladen
I'm sorry but these people deserve to be sick!

You don't swim in oil

Unless your looking to cash in on some of that 20 billion settlement slush fund!

I can already see the headline. Victims of "OIL SPILL SYNDROME" file lawsuit against BP.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I wonder... if somebody who didn't know about the oil spill, went to that beach - would they start feeling ill?

I'm guessing no.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Firefighters are good on the ground reporters, no doubt. I am sure the affect is minimal in most places anyway. This is a wide area affected but it is isolated spots in the affected areas. I would use the FL Dept of Health as a source. They have a more complete picture of the data. Perhaps the monitors are not showing much but if you walk right up, or jump right in, your potentially being exposed to an unknown chemical soup of oil and God knows what else. Why take that chance, vacation is only 5 more days?

I was at a meeting where the impact on air quality monitoring was brought up. At that time, it was showing some uptick in ozone and particulates. Unfortunately, the toxic sampling takes more time and that data is going to start trickling in way too late for today's purposes. Last months data is not going to satisfy today's need to know of what hit the beach, but it is a clue. There are some hand held devices but, truly, that technology needs tweaking to be useful other than to say "yep, we've got some benzene showing up". Need more than that as a paint opened in a room would show up and we know that it would not be a death sentence to paint a room.

To be fair to these people, they have a right to see the show but they do need to take caution and use common sense. If they smell a strong odor, then they need to vacate the area. But swimming seems to be just beggin for an oil bath in that part of the Gulf.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
To add to the Topic when we were in Iraq for the Intial invasion we were warned if he smelled fish or maybe it was eggs, well hell if it diddnt smell right to put on our Gas Masks and move out of the area as quick as possible, now this was in Kuwait where there oil wells were.... So all I am saying is yeah to me it seems like there is something in the air...

Can any of you who live along the gulf shores, tell us if you smell rotten eggs coming from the water?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jeffrybinladen

Bingo, another star for you, I will go a littler farther as calling them plain stupid.

Sometimes I wonder where the intelligent people is this days and time, oops I forgot they are posting on ATS about the dangers of the pollution in the waters of the gulf.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
It amazes me that people on an alternative news site forget that they are informed by alternative news. Assuming that the general population is as informed as you are on the real dangers is naive. Why do you come here for your news if the main media sources are informing you of everything you need to know? Is it because the truth is not being told that you come to ATS?

I would think that people here would be more compassionate for the general public than the likes of BP that continue the lies at the risk of public health.

People are being lied to. You read a story about 400 illnesses reported. The general public sees stories like this.

Crist Visits Pensacola Beach; Swimming Ban Partially Lifted

Pensacola Beach reopened for swimming Friday after a health advisory due to heavy oil concentrations was lifted for a portion of Escambia’s beaches. Florida Gov. Charlie Crist abandoned his regular scheduled Friday to head to Pensacola to meet with with Department of Environmental Protection Secretary Mike Sole. He visited Pensacola Beach and a staging area on Bayou Chico.

The Escambia County Sheriff’s Office helicopter was able to spot a two mile stretch of oil ribbons and notify skimmers. Emergency officials said that allowed skimmer vessels to be dispatched to collect the oil before it hit the coast.

The mission of ATS is to deny ignorance not to blast those who are the victims of disinformation campaigns. As those in the Gulf Region seek information from alternative sites like ATS to try and find better information on what is truly going on...I hope that we welcome them with open arms and patience as their blinders are removed. Their awakening will likely be as painful and traumatic as the crisis that has beset their shores.

Ignorance is not stupidity, especially when it is intentionally fostered by the agencies we pay to protect and serve us.

Let us teach...not taunt....those who are being forced to awaken.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by tappy

Maybe you should go see for yourself.
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 28-6-2010 by FluxRostrum]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I was at our Main Fire Station today in Tallahasseee. I asked the about the breathing problems and fumes. (My wife and youngest son have colds, and I have a sore throat...odd for June/jULY) Anyhow, the Firemen said there were not any harmful chemicals associated with the oil spill. Some of these guys have been cleaning up at the beaches either voluntarily, or through their official duties, and they said there is very little actually harmful stuff in the oil fumes, unless you have prolonged exposure (years not days) or unless you are in a quite concentrated and enclosed area.

Now these guys are the experts, so I tend to believe them, and they are out there practicing what they preach, so it means they believe it.

Still, this sinus infection going around my town is very odd?

Hydrogen Sulfide, Benzene, Methylene-Chloride=not toxic? I think the toxic gases are posing a greater risk to human health than the than any of oil washing up on Gulf of Mexico beaches. Just putting in my 2 cents.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Wow there's an eye opener... It seems the CDC has no listing on the Web page for Corexant, especially the 9500 flavor. The stuff has been proclaimed illegal for deployment in the UK for 10 years. Must be a reason.

BTW swim at your own risk; but remember almost all the people who
'cleaned up' the Exxon Valdez spill are DEAD now. If you hear that on the MSM, please post the URL 'cause I'd like to hear it too. Thanks awfully.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by justadood
yeah, expect in jaws the public were not aware there was a shark in the water.

if you arent aware there is A LOT of oil and crap in the ocean, you've been living in a cave.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by justadood]

Agreed.

I've heard a lot of talk about BP and Big Oil "destroying the ocean" which is only partly true since pollution only destroys parts of the ocean. For oil to destroy "oceans" would mean that oil won't be extractable underground since it'd be already floating through the destroyed oceans. Our oceans have been full of junk for some time.

Disagree with me? Why is it advised I don't consume oysters and mussels plucked from the Vancouver Harbour? Exactly.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
not trying to bash this thread, as i know that swiming in oil and chemicals is not healthy

but i would like to point out i live in the area, and friends of mine still swim in the water, pensacola beach is a thin island and behind it is the sound, then there is a peninsula of land followed by a body of water known as pensacola bay and then there is the mainland that pensacola city is located on

my friends have been swiming off and on within the pensacola bay waters, which local news told us oil was found smack in the center of a couple weeks ago, and none of my friends who have been swimming in the water have had any complaints physically, of course they are generally healthy and athletic and i would suspect hard to fall ill

another friend of mine went surfing at pensacola beach in the gulf waters itself, about a week ago, got bit and bled in the water (open wound) and since then i have not heard that they have 'become gravely ill'

i know this thread is perfectly rational, and i myself won't even touch the water anymore, but since i live in the area i had to post my experience seeing as how they were the exact opposite of the original post

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
People are being lied to and told the water is safe. They're being told this by agencies that are supposed to protect and serve them and 95% of the people on this thread call them stupid? BP has been advertising their clean up efforts in the state of California for crying out loud. You call the victims of a disinformation campaign stupid? Disgusting. Especially those of you who say they deserve to get sick.

And to those of you who say they should move, well sorry to tell you but not all of America is rich like you. We cant all just pack up and move with no money, no job and no place to go.

Stop being so elitist people. You're acting exactly like those people you hate.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Here is what you can expect to see in the short and long term.

H2S, one of the major components of natural gas and volcanic vents. It is a poison similar to carbon monoxide and is associated with all sulfur bearing oil deposits. In the California oil fields where I worked for yrs H2S was called "one breath death" The difference between smelling some bad eggs and dropping dead is small enough to require supplied air when working around it in any concentration

Benzene and Methylene Chloride;
Both are strong hepatotoxic and neurotoxic poisons. Benzene has NO, repeat NO SAFE EXPOSURE LEVEL! Exposure, even incidental exposures can cause leukemia and other cancers, acute renal failure and a large host of other serious ailments.
methylene chloride is paint stripper, the stuff that causes paint to wrinkle up and flake off. It's safe exposure levels are in the low PPB

Here are some important links in knowing about just what is in the air, how bad it is at what levels and the long term repercussions of even incidental exposures.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

These are the three main "other gasses" associated with the methane

en.wikipedia.org...

We can expect over the next couple yrs to see a huge increase in ailments associated with acute and chronic exposures to these gasses.
It is vital to remember these substances are toxic at levels you cannot detect in fact if you CAN smell benzene or dichloromethane you have already been over exposed.The bible belt is going to become the leukemia belt.
This is what cruel legacy this gusher will leave, a wide swath of cancer and liver disease and it will happen insidiously as low levels of these gasses in the gulf area will cause long term chronic exposures in the months(years?) to come.
Make no mistake these chems are present NOW and are causing immense harm NOW that will only manifest later as cancer or some other serious disease.
Please take time to educate yourself about these gasses they are the principle dangers well above the danger from the oil or even the methane.
Again these are the facts about the gasses already admittedly detected in various levels around the gulf. Their health hazards are stark and well known. That they WILL cause deaths in the near future is a foregone conclusion as their dangers are well known and already enough people have been exposed to large amounts of them they will be among the first to start dying.
This is no exageration, I am not forecasting DOOM, I am stating a cold hard fact about the gasses you see bubbling out of the water and are detected at unimaginable levels at the sea surface. They are deadly in amounts YOU CANNOT DETECT BY SMELL!
N.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Take a look at this about flu like symptoms......
defensebaseactcomp.wordpress.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Yes there is a definite sulfur smell from Panama City all the way Westward to Louisianna. It is worse on some days and better on others. It is like a mixture of the rotten egg car exhaust smell and WD40 smell.

H2S along with all the different vapors of the oil are certainly to blame. Still, I am sure most of us get more toxic fumes filling our cars up with gas than we do from the Gulf.

That is, if the oil is a temporary situation. If this thing drags on for years, then we are definitely in for some health effects!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
oils wells tend to be very radioactive from time to time. i wonder if there are radiation readings on this blowout?

I posted a thread about this a week ago, you may want to skim over it

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

You don't swim in oil

Soon it will be EVERYONE's fault for living on Planet Earth and getting in the way of BP, and Israel's New World Order of the Anti-Christ.

It's all OUR fault for being alive and wanting to live!!!

Tut tut tut.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

You don't swim in oil

I wish I could counteract this statement, but, jeffrybinladen is absolutely correct. It doesn't take a genius to know that swimming in an ocean filled with oil is probably not the smartest idea. I have a newspaper clipping on my wall of people swimming in the ocean a couple of weeks after the spill. It was put on my wall as a reminder that no matter what happens out there, there are people who are so stupid that its amazing that they've gotten this far past the law of natural selection. Some people are just hopeless.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by jeffrybinladen

Bingo, another star for you, I will go a littler farther as calling them plain stupid.

Sometimes I wonder where the intelligent people is this days and time, oops I forgot they are posting on ATS about the dangers of the pollution in the waters of the gulf.

You are so sad. This is an example of what I'm talking about. I mean you sit there behind your computer calling all these people (that were told it was safe to swim by trusted government officials) stupid, yet you do it with extremely poor grammar.

ATS is not some kind of elite community. You are not better than everyone else. As a matter of fact it is pathetic to me that you are laughing at these people. I feel sorry for you if you really have that much contempt for your fellow humans. If your spouse or child were one of these people you'd be feeling differently.

Being on ATS posting about the dangers of the pollution while the gulf states are running disinformation campaigns that advertise to millions that the beaches are safe does NOT make you smarter than these people. It only makes you more resourceful. If you don't know the difference then perhaps you aren't as smart as you think you are.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsychoX42

You don't swim in oil

I wish I could counteract this statement, but, jeffrybinladen is absolutely correct. It doesn't take a genius to know that swimming in an ocean filled with oil is probably not the smartest idea. I have a newspaper clipping on my wall of people swimming in the ocean a couple of weeks after the spill. It was put on my wall as a reminder that no matter what happens out there, there are people who are so stupid that its amazing that they've gotten this far past the law of natural selection. Some people are just hopeless.

Thank you spokesman for the NWO. You're correct! Some people do not deserve to live huh? Well let's just round them up and burn them alive. Or trick them into swimming in a polluted ocean by telling them its safe. Your thought process is the same as Hitler's. Along with your buddy you quoted there. "Some people just do not deserve to live, and since natural selection can't do its job, well someone has to." Thank god you people are not in power.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join