It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant oil skimmer makes stop in Norfolk on way to Gulf oil cleanup

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SKUNK2

The "A-Whale" is a S.Korean 6month old oil tanker. She has just been fitted with 12, 16-foot-long intake vents on the sides of its bow designed to skim oil off surface waters. The coversion took place in the wake of the oil spill.

That was incredible quick, yes?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
not directly related to the skimming boats, but I'm posting here as haven't posted enough to create my own thread yet..

since this is 'conspiracy central' online I figure that most people will know about the tesla 'earthquake machinery'.. that various governments are supposed to have use of..

I wonder if they could be used to shift the ground to close the pipe line off..
I don't really know enough about how it works and since it is not publicly acknowledged to be 'real' (and since I've not seen it in action, may not even be real! lol)..?

too many unknowns in that idea at present for me to follow it up. Unless an ATS reader know more than me and wishes to chip in?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tunist

I don't know much about that, but thank you for contributing to the topic and thanks to everyone else who posted.

I am going to keep updating until I hear whether this ship does or does not get approval.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
From the article:

After making a brief stop in Norfolk for refueling, U.S. Coast Guard inspections and an all-out publicity blitz intended to drum up public support...

And not 1 stinkin' photo???

publicity blitz FAIL.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

There are videos.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Good to see their working really hard and fast to get this taken care of

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by SKUNK2

The "A-Whale" is a S.Korean 6month old oil tanker. She has just been fitted with 12, 16-foot-long intake vents on the sides of its bow designed to skim oil off surface waters. The coversion took place in the wake of the oil spill.

That was incredible quick, yes?

LOL It probably took the S.Koreans less than 1month to do the conversion. It just shows us that the Koreans simply pulled their finger out of their arse to get some thing done....The same cannot be said of the American government who simply just don't care.
How much help have the Americans turned down from the worlds other nations??? Loads.........And most of the help was offered for FREE.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
OK, this snippet is very intriguing:

But a number of hurdles stand in his way. TMT officials said the company does not yet have government approval to assist in the cleanup or a contract with BP to perform the work.

How much money did it cost for this ship, without approval, to make it to Norfolk.

If it purpose is to help the Gulf I would think that BP would use it's PR to pat itself on the shoulder for bringing it in.

Could there be any other purpose for this ship other than the claimed skimming?

The TRUMAN Carrier Group left Norfolk and a massive build-up of military ships are in or heading to the Middle East.

OR, could it just be laying in wait for the hurricane season.

Financial logic would state that this ship is already on it's mission

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Red tape keeps prized oil-fighting skimmers from Gulf, coastline

Just weeks after the oil spill crisis began to unfold in the Gulf of Mexico, the French foreign minister volunteered a fleet of oil skimming boats from a French company, Ecoceane. A month later, in early June, Ecoceane Chief Executive Eric Vial met with BP and Coast Guard officials to present the idea.

skimmers-gulf-oil-spill.JPGTed Jackson, The Times-PicayuneSkimmers and prized because they are the primary means for attacking oil head-on and collecting it before it hits land.

But after that meeting, weeks went by with little contact as oil continued gushing into the Gulf. A frustrated Vial was able to get around the bureacracy last week only when his company sold nine of the oil collection boats to a private contractor in Florida, who could then put the boats to work.

A frustrated Vial was able to get around the bureacracy last week only when his company sold nine of the oil collection boats to a private contractor in Florida, who could then put the boats to work.

amazing

Oil giant Shell was in negotiations to let BP use the Nanuq, a 300-foot oil recovery boat sitting idle in Seward, Alaska. But in recent weeks, BP declined to bring it to the Gulf.

"We are literally talking about more than a thousand skimmers that are available, but we only have 400 - if this number is correct -- at work," LeMieux said. "It is hard to believe that the response is this anemic; it is hard to believe that there is this lack of urgency or sense of purpose in getting this done."

"To respond to the crisis, whether it's BP or the U.S. government, they may have created too many administrative steps and barriers that are making the whole process much lengthier," he said.

Sens. LeMieux, Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, and John Cornyn, R-Texas, have proposed legislation that would temporarily waive the Jones Act for oil spill response vessels. Although there is a Jones Act waiver process for foreign vessels during an oil spill, the law requires that the Coast Guard make a determination that "an adequate number" of U.S. oil spill response vessels "cannot be engaged to recover oil from an oil spill in or near those waters in a timely manner." And the foreign country offering the boats must agree to allow the United States similar privileges in their country.

As of last week, no Jones Act waivers had been granted. According to the joint information center for the response, six vessels involved in oil containment have applied for Jones Act waivers that are still pending.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

It just shows us that the Koreans simply pulled their finger out of their arse to get some thing done....

Yes, look what one can accomplish, when they have to.

The same cannot be said of the American government who simply just don't care.

They continue to drag their feet for a reason, there is no other logical explanation at this point,

As of last week, no Jones Act waivers had been granted. According to the joint information center for the response, six vessels involved in oil containment have applied for Jones Act waivers that are still pending.

www.nola.com...

Maybe there are waiting for full blown hurricane season to maximize the damage.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

You ask some interesting question.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

This is an OIL Spill/Leak/volcano, being exempt from the regulations, one would think it should include the transport/tranfer of good from ship to ship; foreign flag or US flagged, or local US port. Of course with all the loopholes there are, who knows how much double speak there may be with amendmants that we haven't seen.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
More on topic, this vessel has arrived in the Gulf and is performing skimming operations. Its a great step ahead, and probably a model that will lead to the development of several such craft of similar capablities. That being said, it alone is too little to contain the larger amount of spill that is not reaching the surface.

The problem with this approach is ignoring the oil that is being captured by the currents and pushed away from the immediate containment area. The response of this whole disaster underlines how neutered our government has become. If its not certified by the Coast Guard, it cant go; if it doesnt meet the strict EPA guidelines, it cant do, even though oil in the water is far worse at this point; if it doesnt meet the standards of the Jones Act, it doesnt go.

We've regulated ourselves to our doom. The most powerful country on the planet, and we have to rely on the Koreans and Taiwanese to pull something out of their ass and present a solution.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Hello Stormdancer777

I havent heard anything more on A Whale since it was being tested but had to leave the area due to the effects of the hurricane.

I noticed you created a thread on it and thought I should ask you about it

Thank you

sl

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Gosh, the way the partisans were playing up the minor delays of A Whale, i would think that its amazing capabilities would have cleaned the entire spill up already.

i mean, it being delayed for a week or two was said to be the worst thing ever and evidence that Obama wants to destroy America.

So, hows that A Whale doing?

is the spill all cleaned up yet?

or is it going to take decades, as has been said for a while now?

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by CornerTech
More on topic, this vessel has arrived in the Gulf and is performing skimming operations. Its a great step ahead, and probably a model that will lead to the development of several such craft of similar capablities. That being said, it alone is too little to contain the larger amount of spill that is not reaching the surface.

The problem with this approach is ignoring the oil that is being captured by the currents and pushed away from the immediate containment area. The response of this whole disaster underlines how neutered our government has become. If its not certified by the Coast Guard, it cant go; if it doesnt meet the strict EPA guidelines, it cant do, even though oil in the water is far worse at this point; if it doesnt meet the standards of the Jones Act, it doesnt go.

We've regulated ourselves to our doom. The most powerful country on the planet, and we have to rely on the Koreans and Taiwanese to pull something out of their ass and present a solution.

hmmmm.... Actually, it was the total LACK of regulation of the oil industry, and deep sea drilling in specific that caused this problem.

the minor delays due to regulations you are referring to did little to hamper an impossible clean-up effort.

but it sure played well for the Fox News Drone's agenda.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
It would seem plausible that the reason why it's taking so long for the A Whale to be used is because they are not insiders. Only the insiders are allowed in the area. Only the insiders are allowed to know what's really going on. Information from the area must be totally controlled... they wouldn't allow outsiders (Taiwanese) to leak out info about how bad (or not bad) things really are out there.

Now if the A Whale were really to go on the seen (and they could say it's on the seen for appearances) how would the crew be controlled to assure that they would not leak out information about what is really going on out there to the rest of the world? How would they get them to keep their mouths shut once they go back home to Taiwan? How would they be sure that ALL cameras on the A Whale were not being used to record the scene? They’re quite capable of doing that to the local fisherman in the area by controlling their weekly pay checks and observing them to make sure they don’t have cameras, but that may not be the way it works with a large foreign operated vessel. It would be very close to impossible to assure that they keep their traps shut and to ban their video equipment… I can imagine a ship of this size needs video equipment working around the clock just to operate.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by soleprobe]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by soleprobe

i will concede that that does seem quite plausible.

hi-de-hi-de-ho

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I'm not asking how well it works, or how effective it is. Just technically, how does such a thing separate oil and water?

www.bulbeckenvirosolutions.com.au...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join