It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly 'Star Wars Lightsabre' Sold To UK

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Due to the fact it can harm someone if misused, I think this should probably fall under weapons licences.

Probably small arms/handgun licence. IMHO.

Or make a whole new type of licence, like Laser Licence or whatever lol.

The point is, when people have to get licences and take safety training for their weapons, 99.9% of all accidents are prevented.

Responsible weapon owners will want the licence, this way they can keep the weapon legal. Without this, too many idiot kids will get it and misuse it, thus forcing it to be banned. And we all know how fast things can get banned these days....

I really detest regulations and everything, but when it comes to weaponry I do understand why it may be necessary. There are so many irresponsible people out there and through a licence system we can weed them out and make sure that only responsible citizens can get their hands on these bad boys.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

The last thing we need to do is allow the government to issue liscenses for another weapon, at least here in the US. The reason that we have a 2nd Amendment, is so that we can over-throw government if need be. If you have to register your weapons or ask for their permission to get weapons, then that kind of defeats the purpose. With that being said, lasers may level the playing field and make our 2nd Amendment viable and relevant again. Could you imagine amplifying one of these things and using it as a weapon?

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I want one of these so bad, but there are way too many idiots who can't handle the responsibility of one of these.

Airspoon, portable laser tech is advancing so rapidly right now it seems that before long you could use one without focusing and it'll be dangerous.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Judohawk]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

Wicked Lasers responds by adding buyer requirements for Class 4 Portable Lasers

On June 9, 2010, Wicked Lasers introduced the most powerful handheld laser ever available to the general public, the Spyder III Pro Arctic Series

XL5

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I'd get one but I already have a powerful pulsed yag laser that can pop tiny holes in a razor blade (non Q-switched).

Batman had all these high tech weapons and yet, all the Joker needed was a pencil!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

The last thing we need to do is allow the government to issue liscenses for another weapon, at least here in the US.

I agree but you have to admit, a bunch of kids will get their hands on this if it's legal for anyone.

And then it WILL be used to hurt someone.

And then the media will demonize it.

And then people will be begging for it to be banned entirely. Not just the model either but the entire technology. It will become a "military" only type thing.

But then again, in the USA weapons laws are determined by each state. Some states do not require licences for a lot of weapons, others do require them.

This weapon just has such a "COOL" factor to it, I am afraid it will be banned in short order.

Think of how bad the rhetoric has gotten over the weak typical laser pointers over the last decade. They are banned at schools and all kinds of stuff, just simply because people use them to ANNOY other people.

Think of how bad it will get when the laser pointer can fry your skin.

Like I said I detest government regulations. But the media will have a field day with this if we don't lock it up and swallow the key right now. I am afraid this is what we are facing.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I think things are about to get out of control, I remember about 10 years ago some young punks shined one of those pocket laser in my eyes as I was driving down the road.
Now once these get real good you should be able to shoot planes out of the sky, I think it's illegal now to shine pocket laser at airplanes.
This won't last long and these will be outlawed, only thing is they will be easier and easier to be home made as time goes on, if it does.
But yea, I rather have a laser, I have guns, but I don't have tools to make guns, plus is illegal.
To make laser all you need is screw driver and a soilding gun, then you can cut things in half.

Where's the flying cars?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Due to the fact it can harm someone if misused, I think
this should probably fall under weapons licences.

I bet you could strangle someone with your mouse cord. Shall mice require weapon licenses as well?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
It's still no beam saber with liquid plasma filled in a ionic shield. heh...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Oh, by the way. I'm 100% positive that the government has a particle beam weapon as a last resort techna.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

LMAO that's hilarious... Dang trekkies and their light sabers

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
If you hadn't posted this I would have never found out about it. I'll put aside a bit of cash and get one of these and do some material tests. Should be interesting to see what a 1 watt hand held green laser can do.

Good find OP.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The geek in me loves this, but no doubt I or my kids would be blind within a few days of clumsy use.

The manufacturer kind of reminds me of that old Dan Akroyd Candice Bergen skit where he defends his dangerous toys like Bag O glass etc.

www.tv.com...

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I am a machinist and if i had the money i could buy one in the range from 25w to 2000w.

That is powerful enough to cut steel.
www.parallax-tech.com...
www.rdlasercutters.com...
www.hanslaserusa.com...

I can see uses for the lasers wickedlasers are selling cutting plastic.
all you would need is a CNC table to mount it on.

Its not how powerful the laser is its how you use it.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Oh please.... For far less money...?

...I can build my own. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Cigarettes can be dangerous little light sabers and people are still allowed to play with them, but anyways..

As far as portable, handheld, 600mW looks to be the most powerful, and can be ordered online if you have the money.

www.techlasers.com...

The one in the OP looks awesome, i wish i could get one.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jaden_x

As far as portable, handheld, 600mW looks to be the most powerful

The laser in your link is 600 milliwatts for $2500.

The laser being discussed in this thread is 1000 milliwatts for $200.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I'm glad that the average person finally has access to powerful lasers for an affordable price.

It is important that the people have every weapon at their disposal that their government does - this means lasers.

The average citizen under the boot heel of government rarely gets to enjoy such luxuries as body armour, and certain kinds of body armour won't defeat the beam. This device could level the playing field in that regard.

*Multiple lasers mounted on a single stock could be quite devastating.... It will be the nut who does that who gets these lasers banned.

Edit:

I wonder how long before cops get permission to laser us?

They already have the go-ahead to torture us with electricity until we bend to their will, so maybe lasers are next.

[edit on 16-6-2010 by Exuberant1]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

the link to the youtube videos is showing the "Spyder III" which is quite different from the ARCTIC Spyder III.

the ones on youtube are 100mw. the arctic is 10 times that.

there are no videos yet because the lasers havent started shipping yet, they wont for at least a week but more like 2.

i already ordered mine, the reason its so cheap is because Casio released an HD (discontinued?)projector with 24 blue 1W diodes. they are just taking this apart and putting them in the pens. the projector costs 800-1200 bucks.

before the blue diodes were available at a consumer level they had to use really expensive crystal technology to get a weak blue beam.

im hearing the range is over 200 miles. i had to go over and fill out a safety form waiver thing. class 4 lasers are FDA approved if they have certain safety features, they even have the FDA letter on the site.

they mail out of china and guarantee delivery or your money back + $100.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by LurkerMan]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I think this device could be used for "good" as well, setting controlled burns for instance. It would be very cool to have, and I see no reason why this shouldn't exist yet a gun and bullet can be sold as well...so I say let them sell and make it. If there's a market, then fine...as long as it can't wipe hundreds, thousands or millions off the face of the earth at once, I have problem with it.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by yellowcard]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join