It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 confirmed murdered and 25 injured after Gunman runs amok in Whitehaven, Egremont and Seascale, Cu

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muppetus Galacticus

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by Muppetus Galacticus
What if they don't have the latest news with a photo of the suspect and they come across someone openly armed? "Excuse me, are you the nutter?" Or is it best to shoot him first to make sure?

The guy who just rolled up and pointed a shotgun at you, yeah that guy, he's the "bad" guy.

Doesnt take a rocket scientist.

If he's already pointing the gun at you, I seriously doubt you'll have a chance to defend yourself whatever you're carrying, IMO.

www.learnaboutguns.com...

Your opinion is incorrect.
Most armed robberies occur in places where the public is not armed.

Assuming all gun owners are nutters is pretty ignorant of reality.
Just because you arent responsible enough to safely own a handgun doesn't mean everyone else is.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
double post.
sorry.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Bad Ninja]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by stealthyaroura

Yeah. Personally I like what I own..And I see our 2nd Amendment as more than just a right to own guns, but thats a thread on it's own.

I don't feel either way on your laws and policies there. I don't live there, and unless you are asking it's not my place to speak on them. It bothers me that the extreme pro-gun members on this board felt the need to jump up use this thread to spread their views when their views had nothing to do with this thread.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

It bothers me to Miraj. I rose to the bait once and realised it was a mistake. I am going to ignore it from now on.

A further update.

He drove from Whitehaven through the villages of west Cumbria armed with a .22 hunting rifle with telescopic sights and a shotgun, opening fire randomly. Some victims were beckoned to his car to be killed, others were working by the roadside or passing on bicycles. In addition to the dead, 25 people were wounded, three of whom were in a critical condition in hospital. Others spoke of miraculous escapes.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

So there is the info for the calibre of the rifle that he used.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
This is insane, and I would love if they found documents pertaining to him or maybe some blog or something. My collection of crime books and stories about this kind of stuff interests me to an almost obsessive degree. Though make no mistake, my condolences extend to those affected by the tragedy

Sorry if that has already come to light, I've only read the first page and looked at some slight info as of this moment, been busy all day today. I plan on digging deeper tomorrow.

I sincerely hope we do not see copy-cat killers though, this kind of blind violence is terrifying. No time to defend yourself if someone pulls up beside you while your biking or jogging and just fires at you. It is a sad and cowardly act and is so spontaneous next to no one could predict it.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

It is also another known FACT that since the gun ban in the U.K. GUN crimes have INCREASED.... but please keep telling us about facts....

What gun ban?

The ban on handguns after dunblane affected a few thousand people - mostly members of gun clubs who did not even keep their guns at home - 99% of us never had guns and most who had guns before still have guns.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
as an englishman i dont feel the need to own a gun as i know more than 9 times out of 10 my neighbour isnt going to have a gun, if guns were legal here and i know my neighbours owned guns then id feel the need to own one my self,
but i like it the way it is now, nothing can stop some random nutter going on a killing spree, he would of proberbly done it with or without a gun

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SweetRevenge
This is insane, and I would love if they found documents pertaining to him or maybe some blog or something. My collection of crime books and stories about this kind of stuff interests me to an almost obsessive degree. Though make no mistake, my condolences extend to those affected by the tragedy

It's a shocking tragedy, I watched it on the news all last night and couldn't help but think the press were being very professional collecting and presenting the information so far. A few mistakes but it all seemed to be running very smoothly. The witnesses were mostly calm and collected and well lit for the cameras etc.
I'm sure there'll be a documentary, a website or two, and perhaps a coffee table book of the tragedy in the near future for us rubbernecks.

The BBC News site today has a page with tabs at the top for clicking the different aspects of the case. You can view - latest news - victim profiles - timeline - witness reports - in pictures - suspect profile - maps. So professional you'd almost think they had foresight.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I wonder what changes to gun laws (or other laws) will be pushed through after this. It wouldn't surprise me if the paperwork was sitting there ready to be signed.

Gosh I'm feeling cynical today. Nothing to moan about though. There's a lot of people grieving for their beloved friends and relatives this morning. And I'm sure those calm people on the news last night who'd had a gun pointed at their faces will have crumbled to wrecks overnight when the shock set in.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I edited because I don't want to carry on an argument that myself and many others have said several times, this is not the thread for.

[edit on 3/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Dont be all bent out of shape that an issue that Brits in particular like to jump all over the US about has just occurred at home. Nuts happen. Even Nanny cant protect everyone all the time.

I'm not and as I've said about 10 times now..... we (UK) have one of these incidents every 10-15 years, most Brits could name every one.

You (USA) have one a week?

Nuts happen.... but it's far, far worse when you have guns in every pocket.

Why can't you guys wrap you head around the fact that guns breed violence?

We don't want guns, don't need guns and don't like guns.... you guys love them and they are an extension of your manhood..... that's great.

Whatever floats your boat mate.

The population of the UK per square mile is alot more than the USA, so these kind of things might affect us a bit differntly because of that?

CX

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but the news are saying that the gunman had a .22 rifle and a shotgun.

Theres some idiot on Sky at the moment, quite melodramatic shouting about "Why on earth can people be allowed to own guns like this?". Obviously hasn't a clue about firearms, he admitted himself he is "not a gun person".

That was pretty obvious mate when you described a .22 rifle as something like a sniper rifle from James Bond which was so heavy the gunman could hardly lift.

Luckily and as usual, Sky News let him keep spewing rubbish for a good few minutes instead of speaking to someone who knew their backside from their elbow.

Just a ton of talking about gun laws on the news now. The news said this morning that he was a registered gun owner for 20 years. I gather there had never been any concern before otherwise he wouldn't have his guns.

How on earth could anyone have seen this coming? They couldn't.

CX.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
For people who want to carry on the gun debate and argue about gun ownership and stats, please move over to the thread linked below.

This thread must be left for discussing this incident and those killed and injured and people trying to find out news.

Thanks.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I actually don't think that if the allowance of guns was accepted by Parliament, it would decrease the amount of gun crimes - actually I think it would increase .

People will believe it to be acceptable and therefore carrying a gun would be "okay." As more and more crime is seen here in the UK, people would probably find it suitable to threaten with a gun and use it.

And then you got all those "self defense" arguements.

Anyway back to the topic; whatever this man did and why, it's atrocious.
Why he did it?
That's what I would like to find out.

If this man appeared to be completely sane, with people describing how nice he was, I wonder how many more are like him in our society?
That freaks me out.

My next door neighbour could be the next Ripper o_O

Still - the firearms used were meant for hunting right?
So why is that risk of deaths of people, in this case 12, is the penalty for protecting the interests of people's hobbies?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Update.

One friend, Peter Leder, told CNN Bird had said to him: "You won't see me again." According to one woman in Whitehaven, Bird "shook them [his colleagues] by the hands one by one and said 'there's going to be a rampage in this town tomorrow and it's going to start with my mother' ... They just laughed and didn't take him seriously".

Others spoke of a reported family row over the will of Bird's seriously ill mother, involving Commons. Commons's home was last night cordoned off by police, and letters from his law firm were visible on a windowsill of Bird's home. It is thought that after killing his brother and Commons, Bird headed to Whitehaven and shot a fellow taxi driver named locally as Darren Rewcastle.

Witnesses said Bird then drove through the town with a gun hanging out of his car window. Police released a map showing Bird's progress south to Egremont, Gosforth and Seascale, where the killings continued.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Just been watching north east news and whats the chances of those that were killed or injured, having already been on the news before? You may want to look because i would say that the chances of the shooting happening was a million -1 anyway but for some of the victims to have actually been on the news before??????

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Thought the same footage of the elderly spinster who was slain with her twin sister.

Pretty spooky.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

The thing is, theres a few that were the victims, not just 1?
Whats the chances of that???
Thats a conspiracy in itself.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Thanks Wigit, I'll be sure to check out those sources you mentioned. I still can't believe how quickly this spread. Usually you hear about these kinds of body counts from killers over long periods of time.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10

The thing is, theres a few that were the victims, not just 1?
Whats the chances of that???
Thats a conspiracy in itself.

Which ones are you talking about? Is this info online?

Personally I just think it's a good job he no longer worked at Sellafield nuclear plant or the disaster could have been a catastrophe.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Wow i didnt even think of that. Powerplant.

I`ll check but it was on the northeast news and some of the victims had already graced the news prior to the ..........? Cant even think of a word suitable.
Im shocked that this can happen but theres so many questions i would be asking, and i would make sure i get the answers.
How did the Police not even catch up to him after the first?

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join