It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Trek. World without No money.. How?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
They have strayed into the idea of pleasures occasionally in Star Trek. However, it is Woody Allen's "Sleeper", with its "Orgasmatron" machine that would keep me at home most of the time. With that sort of technology, why ever leave the house?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Well I guess the idea is that you do things to better the rest of humanity rather than being selfish. But since Star Trek is a TV show, it'd be extremely boring if they were just doing selfless things all the time, especially since their primary concern was technology.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Star Trek was made during the cold war but more importantly during the time period when Vietnam was escalating and the antiwar movement was in full action.

The writers of this show used it as a platform to show a communist utopia. Exuberant1 touched on this.

How, one would ask is Star Trek communistic.

No money, everyone economically treated equal.

Military rank seems to indicated placement in life, not just command structure.

Instead of Star Fleet Academy, think Moscow University. No one served without going through "the academy". Communal education.

Did you ever notice the living quarters of everyone. Even on other planets. Very minimalistic in nature. No individualism allowed except for very simple and very few items.

Only transportation is ran by Star Fleet. No private means of transportation from place to place ever shown. Only shuttles and transport beam. This is population control of movement.

Ever notice that every radio transmission was monitored. Control of all communications to keep population in check. Only Star Trek elite could use encrypted messages, this carried on through all series.

Only in Star Trek TNG, did a more human side start to come into play showing private multi-generational ownership of land. But even TNG and the movies still showed only Star Fleet vehicles and communal education.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
work on free energy, then worry about getting rid of money. In the end it all comes down to energy and the control of energy IMO.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
It could be possible in a hypothetical society in which communism actually works, and would have to be adopted by all states.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
this is total fantasy. problem is all the people in the world are stuck in greed.
as long as a individual does not abuse it. you dont need money. you go to shops and get what you need. you dont need to be payd a wage for the work you do. because you are given all you need. a house a car. but public transport would be made to work. when it has been used for some time. every one would be unset to it. some people would have to be whatch’t alcoholics! there would be no need for crime! why steel what is free? it would take years to get it to work. the things you buy now. are made to last for between 1 to 5 years and break down. so they can sell you another one each 5 years. look around your home? what do you have that is over 5 years old? I bet nothing electrical. computers are one of the worst. up grade the game-up grade the graphics- up grade the ram-then up grade the computer. start over for ever. if your fridge lasted for 100 years. you would not need to work any way near as much as we do. you only work so much so you can pay THEM! I dont expect any of you to even to try to under stand this.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Ultimate communism! Everyone performs a job and recieves whatever they want or need inreturn for performing said function. Of course the govt will determine what your best suited for and what your eligible to recieve. But then again your percieved value to the world then becomes your currency.

All men are created equal. All men do not perform equal tasks. All men do not work equally hard. At this stage of human evoloution it isn't possible.

Now when in space in DS9 the currency was latimum. Perhaps with the replicators they had in star trek you could create anything you needed, so there was no need for currency. Always wonder why they couldn't replicate the latinum though.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Dr.Jay

Very good point, never thaught of it like that!

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I'm also a Star Trek fan, a Trekker. I'll try to give my viewpoints here. Humanity usually has the separation consciousness. That's where various topics, etc. are separate. They should be interconnected. In the movie "Star Trek: First Contact" Picard explains to Lily about the world without money. It would be a type of utopia - a type of world we'd want to live in. Now, that would tie in with e.g. the Zeitgeist Movement. I see mention here of it being a tool of the NWO and Communism. I doubt it. It does also speak out against the NWO, and mentions e.g. 911 conspiracies. Zeitgeist mentions that money as we know it (especially greed, the love of money) greatly slows down progress. That would again tie in with that Star Trek account.
Another topic it would tie in with, is Astrology. 2,000 Years ago, there was a rise and fall of civilisations. It was characterized by bad economies, material overtaking human progress, low morals, and people thinking it's the end of the world. That also sounds like the world now. We are going through a rise and fall of civilisations. So, those Star Trek and Zeitgeist worlds would be to do with the new civilisations of the Aquarian Age. Money is energy. As we know from science - energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only change from one form to another. So, those new civilisations would need some other form of energy exchange.
Someone, incidentally, was saying that the Zeitgeist society is purely science, by scientists. So, there'd be no room for e.g. individual artistic expressions. I doubt it again. These I'm sure would then come into it.

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by awakentired

Replicators.

Food? Replicator.

Furnature? Replicator.

Clothing? Replicator.

A replicator? Replicate the Replicator.

You cant charge someone money for somethign that was made out of thin air.............

You could build an entire house with a replicator - one piece replicated at a time.

oh, and free energy!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Suppose humanity would know how to teach children in such a way they would all become geniuses, really harness the brain and teaching children how to form their psyche in full awareness. There would be a genius picking up the trash as well as a genius working on starship engines. They would all have the same income throughout their lives and could spend it any way they wanted, besides the basic rewards for contributing to society which would be something like food and shelter and physical checkups to prevent any disease (ofcourse medical science would be much more advanced and there would hardly be any disease left). Everyone's contribution would be made public on an advanced internet, the lazy would become socially less attractive and eventually become excluded which would motivate anyone but the most solitary to do some labor.

There would be one unified education program or school where all children would reach their highest potential, negativity as seen in current schools would not exist. IQ would not be associated with having the right genes, every brain would be treated the same. The outer physical appearance would not be confused with the inner spirit. No one would be seen as dumb, there would only be students who work hard to graduate fast and there would be students who would take longer to finish education, each has it's benefits and drawbacks.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Have you ever seen what some...not all... but some people do with something that is not theirs, they did not work for it, and they are not responsible for its upkeep or maintainance?

They basically destroy it...

There are some really good people that might persue some high endeavor...but there are still too many that would do nothing constructive, would only throw away what they and others have...Why worry, they'll just make another.

Some would wonder why endeavor to do anything...we can pull food and clothes from thin air. Some people need the proverbial carrot hanging in front of them to motivate them.

Then there are people like myself that enjoy doing things...even more so because we enjoy the rewards of the extra work... There in lies another weakness.... if I am not going to get any more for extra effort than someone that does nothing...then why do it?

I point you to retirement...I have personally met and know and talked to many retired people that had sufficient means to live on, but were going crazy...How many rounds of golf or how many fish can you catch before you grow bored with it? Thus, they go back to work to fill the hours and give them purpose... not as painters of landscapes or solving medical crisis...they work at hardware stores and grocery stores and cut grass...to make some money and fill the time and stay active.

Likewise, some people inherently need some form of reward and structure to feel fulfilled.

Now, some may be high minded and say do it for mankind... or do it for humanity... Not too many things were ever done that progressed mankind that didn't have as a goal monetary reward. Sure, we all have noble ideals...but that paycheck is nice too.

If noble ideals were such a motivator... we would have cities on the Moon...but now that NASA is backing off and the US govt is letting private enterprise go into space...watch out. We will have permanat outposts there within the next generation.

The New World wasn't settled by governments with high ideals...it was settled for profit...only after the british govt and Spanish and portuguese and french Govts got out of the way, did the colonies grow and thrive... and don't throw in the ethics and morals of what was done...that is a sideline and another topic of discussion.

In Star trek...Tritcalli or the wonder wheat from the "Trouble With trbbles"...bet that had a price attached to it. Oh, and all those bars frequented by Mr. Scott and crew... In another world and a different culture outside the Federation...I bet they had money...and Capt. Picard...if I remember, his brother had a vineyard and made wines.... no profit motive there? Why not replicate it?

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

We used to have a refridgerator that lasted 100 years..it was a Frigidaire. Big ol' heavy metal one with a big locker handle on it...it belonged to my uncle and aunt..they are now passed. It is still running in my dad's shed and still keeps watermelons like ice without freezing them.

They used to make tractors that lasted a hundred years too...Farmalls...John deeres and Allis Chalmers...oh, and Fergusons...still running strong and in large numbers after 60-70 years.

Problem is, they were made and improved upon for profit..make a better widget and make more money. the ones that did it are still around...aka John Deere...others that didn't...like the Farmall 140...which was basically the same design for almost 17 years...well, they didn't.

Make no mistake... until we get rid of the weakest of human traits...there will always be money in some form or other.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by awakentired

I've no idea how a society, especially planet-wide, could sustain itself and prosper in the way Star Trek lays it out... I'm of the opinion that it can't happen, at least, not in that way.

Well it will never happen becouse the PTB need to stay in control and there is only one way to do that.....get folks needing, wanting and working for thier money. Its just a big ol company store out there. They need the rats on a wheel to keep them busy....so they make the wheel.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Have you ever seen what some...not all... but some people do with something that is not theirs, they did not work for it, and they are not responsible for its upkeep or maintainance?

They basically destroy it...

There are some really good people that might persue some high endeavor...but there are still too many that would do nothing constructive, would only throw away what they and others have...Why worry, they'll just make another.

Some would wonder why endeavor to do anything...we can pull food and clothes from thin air. Some people need the proverbial carrot hanging in front of them to motivate them.

We are trained like Pavlov's dog. Made into materialists from birth.

Man moved onto the frontier and made his own home grew his won food. Then the bankers came in and offered cash loans on the homestead.....man began going after the carrot....became a slave to the wheel, stoped growing his own food, got a job, joined the rat race.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

...and Capt. Picard...if I remember, his brother had a vineyard and made wines.... no profit motive there? Why not replicate it?

If I remember right - there was a Voyager episode (not necessarily when Neelix started working in the kitchen) where they said that replicated items are not as good as the real things.

There are some things in Star Trek that don't make sense. I remember in one documentary, they said that in the early days of Star Trek, the beaming up and down of the crew would have been excluded if it was too out-of-place - too ahead of its time and surroundings. That is not fitting in with the other technology. I'd actually reckon that it is the case. And, replicators are basically the same principle.
edit on 5-8-2011 by Aquarius1011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I've no idea how a society, especially planet-wide, could sustain itself and prosper in the way Star Trek lays it out... I'm of the opinion that it can't happen, at least, not in that way.

I'm also not so sure. But, I reckon that the Star Trek universe gives one a good idea of the real universe. Perhaps there are many planets of other stars where that does occur. And, perhaps some of them come here in UFOs to monitor our progress, with the Prime Directive of non-interference.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join