It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mobile phones responsible for disappearance of honey bee

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Mobile phones responsible for disappearance of honey bee

www.telegraph.co.uk

The growing use of mobile telephones is behind the disappearance of honey bees and the collapse of their hives, scientists have claimed.

...campaigners have blamed agricultural pesticides, climate change and the advent of genetically modified crops for what is now known as 'colony collapse disorder.'

Now researchers from Chandigarh's Punjab University... have established that radiation from mobile telephones is a key factor... it [is] probably interfering with the bee's navigation senses.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Thread Index: Disappearing Bees

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
It sounds like this research needs to be taken seriously, judging by the description. As a result of having a mobile phone powered on for only two 15-minute sessions per day, over a three-month period, the following observations were recorded: smaller hive, fewer eggs, cessation of honey production and fewer bees returning to the hive.

Apparently some are responding by saying previous research showed no such correlation. Obviously the question is: 'Will these results be repeated in similar experiments?'

On the other hand, can you imagine the size of the lobby that will run to the defence of the cell phone industry? It could turn out to be an object lesson in the power of corporate industry vs. the common good.

And what if it were proven beyond reasonable doubt by independent scientists that cellphone radiation is to blame for the mass disappearances of bee colonies seen around the world, and governments actually had the moral fibre to dismantle the networks in a bid to head off a catastrophic depletion in food supply? Would 21st century society manage to function largely as it does now, or might it lead to a paradigm shift in communications technology?

The mind boggles at the implications.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Dear God, ..... it all makes sense !!!

What has risen while the bee population has declined ???

Cell Phones !!

You have parents buying phones for their 10 year old kids these days, it's pretty freakin ridiculous.

The QUESTION, ... is ...... could you, could everyone discontinue using their cell phone to save the bee's and eventualy us ???

or would you keep using it ?? saying " Well one cell phone won't hurt"
wait, can't forget about little billy and the rest of the Fam. " 5 cell phones won't hurt"

etc. etc.

Were digging our own freakin graves.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This was already said on ATS before scientist discovered it! I remember a specific thread that said it was the 3G from our phones causing the disappearance of bees.

I bet they saw the thread and just claimed it for themselves.

Here is the thread by the way.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 30-5-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I cant wait until they link constant bluetooth use with brain cancer. those people need to go the way of the honeybee

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I'll remember this!!! And aything that can add to my excuses for not using the mobile phone. Personally, I find that whenever I insist on talking by landline people; people often think I'm a bit weird for not being eager to blast my brain with radiation.
Mobiles don't give me problems (unless its like more than an hour) but common sence tells me they're not good.

Regarding Science...
It can take a long time for statistical, health trends, to be linked to lifestyle activities, by the mass media. Recent tobacco industry, history has reminded us that it can take even longer (if multi billion dollar, global, industries) are threatened by public enlightment.

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I have read some of this research before and say it is very interesting. It is also very plausible.

Although I would not say this is the sole reason for the decline because there are areas that are bare of cell phone towers and there has disappearances in these areas as well.

I have been looking forward to seeing some comprehensive studies to find out what the RF effect on the bees is and how much of an influence it has on hive disappearances.

Einstein said if the bees go, we go.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
now if I were smart
I'd be trying to figure out
a way mankind can communicate
like we do now ....
without the use of a cell phone.

That market should be expanding soon

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Well I know that if someone came up to me and said "you can keep your iPhone if you like, but if you let me take it from you and you can never own one again I'll give you this hive of bees" I know for damn sure which one I'd choose.

You can't play angry angry birds or dragons lair on a bee hive. Bee hives can't make skype to skype calls. You cannot browse the internet on a beehive and even if you could, rotating the bee hive would not allow you to change the orientation of the screen.

The bee hive loses.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst
You have parents buying phones for their 10 year old kids these days, it's pretty freakin ridiculous.

Yes it is. Especially when you consider a child's skull is significantly thinner than an adults, and penetration of radiation goes to nearly half the brain in a 10 year old! To give a cell phone to a child is err. Seriously, serious, folly.

The QUESTION, ... is ...... could you, could everyone discontinue using their cell phone to save the bee's and eventualy us ???

or would you keep using it ?? saying " Well one cell phone won't hurt"
wait, can't forget about little billy and the rest of the Fam. " 5 cell phones won't hurt"

etc. etc.

Were digging our own freakin graves.

Yes, I can and will. I'm moving to Skype soon, and canceling the cell line. Skype is more than good enough for me. I just don't use a phone as much as I used to in the past.

As for if everyone else can? I think most people currently could, but won't. I think in the future the option may not be available.

We're definitely creating our dystopian future by the moment.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by unityemissions]

CX

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Thanks for this thread, very interesting indeed.

I was going to post a thread about an incident that happened today, but i'll stick it here instead. Whilst at a BBQ i had my mobile phone down at by my feet on the floor, and something caught my eye as i glanced down at it.

It was a large fly, one of those big blue-bottle types. It walked across my phone screen, but once it got to the keypad part it just flipped onto it's back and what looked like a convulsion or seizure of some kind. This happened for a few seconds, then as it shook itself off of the phone, it got itself together again and flew off.

So it wouldn't suprise me if it messed up other little things too.

CX.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Wireless is dead.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Donnie Darko

You and several others have clearly realised the magnitude of what this research is saying. Maybe one or two might 'Digg' this to get the news out.

What the researchers are saying makes an awful lot of sense. Check this out, for example:

Ved Prakash Sharma and Neelima Kumar, the authors of the report in the journal Current Science, wrote: "Increase in the usage of electronic gadgets has led to electropollution of the environment. Honeybee behaviour and biology has been affected by electrosmog since these insects have magnetite in their bodies which helps them in navigation.

This could be the beginning of a truly huge debate in the media (-if they don't get leaned on).

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

It's a toxic soup what with the pesticides, heavy metals, and electrosmog. It's estimated that in 2010, roughly 3-4% of the population is considerably impacted by electrosmog, and this number should increase to roughly 50% by 2020. The trick to becoming non-electro-sensitive is to detox the body of toxins and provide lots of antioxidants. Somehow or another, the electrosmog's effects are greatly exacerbated by body stores of heavy metals, plastic compounds, and pesticides. Sweating daily is a good way of detoxing, as is using a sauna, and partaking in various herbal substances which increase liver function. Ascorbic acid somewhat protects against electro smog as well.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
very interesting , I think this was mentioned before on ats and it has crossed my mind , good info op

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Gentill Abdulla

I remember that thread. I am always amazed that workers know the problems of everything before the management even considers it a problem. In this case people that work on cell phone towers notice dead honeybees, and it takes a commission of scientists to turn on a couple cell phones in a bee hive to determine what common sense should have told them to begin with.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I haven't seen any honey bees buzzing around my head but I still see them everyday. Usually they are dead or just sitting on the ground at our local light rail stations.

Never see them flying, but they seem to be lying around daily, I see around 3 or 4 per station.

Like they fly to the station then just drop out of the air, or are they crawling there?

I might take some pics but its against the law to take photos at train stations or on trains.

I agree with the article.

*edit to add* we could do a ats experiment.....If you live in a urban area with light rail goto some stations and see if you can see any bees on the ground. It will not prove anything other than the bee population is in trouble.

[edit on 30-5-2010 by LDragonFire]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
So what are you gonna choose - the planet, or your cell phone?

serious.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Exactly. If only we could exchange some of their brilliance for a dose of common sense...they'd be near infinitely more productive.

This is the reason why I find most of the high-gifted people I interact with to be rather dumb. Brilliance without genius is next to nothing..

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This experiment was not very conclusive. If a hive has a p chance of failure, then there are 4 outcomes to this experiment:
A fails B fails (p^2)
A fails B does not fail p(1-p)
A does not fail B fails (1-p)p
A does not fail B does not fail (1-p)(1-p)

You can check to see that the probabilities sum to 1.
In this case, we have either lines 2 or 3 depending how A and B are assigned.

So the probability is p(1-p). If p=0.5, i.e. "flip of a coin", then the probability of this outcome is 25%. If the probability of a hive failure is 10%, then the probability of this outcome is .09.

In other words, the chance of this outcome is fairly good and does not meet the standards for typical scientific publication. At best this experiment suggests more work needs to be done and I hope that the researchers receive funding to continue doing the research.

Reading anything more into this experiment is not supported by the sample size used in the experiment.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join