It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End of the Internet is Here !

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

You right, they are unique and assigned by manufacturer, with each manufacturer having a certain code assigned to them.

I also find it amusing you saying "I hope no-one has the same MAC as me", then go on to say you've spoofed it, possibly copying another persons MAC and doing what you hope is not done to yourself!

A tad hypocritical, no?
It would be a bit like saying "I wish people wouldn't eat meat!" while tucking into a steak...

Also, what is the point of spoofing unless you're trying to hide something?(emphasis on the word "trying")

[edit on 27/5/10 by stumason]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWizard
to say that running out of IP addresses could end the internet is a joke, they could ad a few digits to the end or some letters, hell they could use hieroglyphs as an IP address it makes no difference at all. thatss like saying no one can build anymore houses because we ran out of numbers.

Its not like running out of numbers, its more like we cant build more houses because we ran out of wood. The structure is not there to accept any more digits. This is why new computers come with ipv6 installed.

ipv4 = 0.0.0.0
ipv6 = 0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
A couple of points...

Mac addresses are set at the factory by the manufacturer, every single MAC address is unique (it compares to electronic DNA...each code specifies a particular Network Interface Card regardless of what device it is installed in). Hackers can 'spoof' a MAC address to make it appear as though they are using a specific machine, and there have been cases where batches of cards were improperly manufactured, beyond that though each one is unique.

IPv6 has been part of the TCP/IP protocol stack installed on every computer for the better part of 20 years. If you know your way around a Command Line Interface you can check and see that the computer you are using RIGHT NOW has probably been assigned BOTH an IPv4 and IPv6 address, but only the IPv4 is being used. There are already some countries that are using IPv6 now and more to follow soon.

IPv6 provides hundreds of billions of addresses; examples for how many range from every human using a different address every time they use a net device for a 1000 years to my personal fav...there are over a million IPv6 addresses for every square inch of land on the planet.

We could switch to IPv6 tomorrow and only a few nerds outside of the industry would know about it.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I think you misunderstood a little. Mac addresses are the address of any networked device on a network. If I have a stand alone network and you have a stand alone network, then we could both have a device with the same MAC address. Conflicts of MAC address only become a problem along the same network.

Edit to embolden "could", it's very unlikely you would, as previously stated, they are set at manufacture, but can be manipulated.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by nik1halo]

[edit on 2-6-2010 by nik1halo]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Having read through all of the posts in this thread so far, I notice that there is no mention of subnetting and supernetting of addresses. I realise this is only done for networks but it still increases the number of usable IP addresses.

As an example I have 1 IP and 1 MAC address as far as my internet provider is concerned, but I have the ability to put 50+ machines on my network (PC's, Printers, additional Routers, etc).
Theoretically this number will go up by a factor of 50 everytime you add a router to your network.

I'm trying to keep it simple for the non-techies out there.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by RedmoonMWC]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Oh Now I see what Doomsday is about.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
this is true and represents a real problem. however, a simple patch can solve the issue

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
IPv6 also incorporates your MAC address as part of the IP address thus you are identified not only by your IP, but within that lies your MAC address.

TPTB certainly will be watching. Not sure how this is going to work with IP spoofing, but I suppose it will be similar to now with both the elements spoofed.

Just try to make sure you don't use the MAC address of a known terrorist machine - could be a little difficult to explain

reply to post by RedmoonMWC

Yes you do but to do that you must be using a NAT router thus your internal
addressing is not the same as your external public address. Theoretically you could possibly have 200+ pcs attached but they would all be using the one external IP and therefore would be identified as you.

This is one of the big problems for sites such as ATS when it comes to blocking since they may block one person in a flat, but actually can end up blocking all people using the connection.

For example your external address may be 223.223.223.223 (unlikely but) your internal address may be 192.168.1.1 for the router so that is the two parts. You can then connect .2 to .250 (or .255 but that us usually broadcast)

You can add another router 192.168.2.1 and do the same, but all of these are using 233.233.233.233

[edit on 2/6/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Originally posted by Fatality
They knew about this from the start. That is why they created the IPv6.

IPv6 would fix the problem How? ( for us non geek folks) and if IPv6 is the solution and it's no big deal... Why is this new news on CNN?

It is on CNN because:

However, there is a replacement, IPv6, which has trillions more addresses available and ready to go. The problem is that businesses are proving slow to adapt their technology to IPv6, leaving experts fearful that we might be heading for a crunch within 18 months.

I mean, I knew most people responding to OP don't bother reading the source, but OP not reading? That's a direct quote from your article, it tells you why IPv6 is the solution, and it also tells you the reason it hit the news. Cheers to nik1halo for guessing correctly.

I do have a question though, I have an old computer with XP, I know it's possible to enable IPv6, but, do I really need to do it? My guess is the modem/router should be IPv6, but what about the computer? Just asking cause IPv6 does slow down initial connection in that particular system.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by daniel_g]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

IPv6 also incorporates your MAC address as part of the IP address thus you are identified not only by your IP, but within that lies your MAC address.

Huh, ya know, I never realised that before, but you're right!! Now I know I don't really play with networks anymore, but how could I have possibly missed this one? I've never had any practical use for IPv6 though to be fair.

Hmm, I think I'm gonna have to add you as a friend as a "go to guy" for networking problems. You're more up to date than me. Or should that be a respected foe?
I'm keeping an eye on you boy!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

I am actually probably as rusty on networks as you. I built up and used to administer a large WAN in the UK, but that was 10 years ago.

I've never had any practical use for IPv6 though to be fair.
Me neither. I am a programmer really, but there lies my interest in routing.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
In two years no more v4 addresses are available. Take a look here, it's a realtime counter:

www.potaroo.net...

Current: 6% free adresses

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Similar story here, I used to do a lot of Network Admin about 4-5 years ago, when I was a fresh faced Uni Graduate, ya know, all the grunt work. I'm in management now, so I have people to do that sort of crap for me. Delegation... It's the future!

You don't half forget a lot though. I spend half my time at conferences and training seminars, tell my staff what I've learned and then I forget about it and just remember who I've told what to. Much less brain strain...

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Another artificially created scarcity/crisis - my goodness, how dumb are people to fall for it all.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Yeah, I know. the best thing is, it's already been pointed out that the answer to the problem is in the OP's article, it's actually about the implementation of IPv6!

BTW, as a Forum Moderator, can I pick you up on a one liner?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
can we live without Internet function properly?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join