It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors allowed to 'force' cancer patient with a fear of hospitals to undergo surgery

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

I disagree, she does have a fighting chance, and not only that she has an opportunity to live. Your saying she should decide the biggest decision of her life on her own, going against what trained doctors have to say. Not only that but she if mentally impaired and obviously in my opinion judgmentally impaired. Ovarian cancer IS a terrible death. And this surgery could reverse the terrible death that awaits her. Your just saying let her die in peace which by no means will happen with ovarian cancer. And i'm saying she should fight the cancer be rid of it!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Similar story, with a child in the U.S.

www.deseretnews.com...

Parker Jensen family's rights weren't violated, court rules

By Emiley Morgan

Deseret News
Published: Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:46 p.m. MDT

DENVER — A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that the rights of Parker Jensen and his parents were not violated by Utah doctors and family-services workers who years ago attempted to seize custody of the boy and submit him to chemotherapy treatment.

Daren and Barbara Jensen's case was argued before three 10th Circuit Court of Appeals judges in January and while the appellate court acknowledged in its decision that the Constitution "protects the fundamental right of parents to make decisions concerning the care, custody, and control of their children," these rights are "not absolute."

"The Supreme Court has long recognized, however, that parental rights, including any right to direct a child's medical care, are not absolute," Judge Deanell Reece Tacha wrote. "Indeed, states have a compelling interest in and a solemn duty to protect the lives and health of the children within their borders."

Parker Jensen was 12 in 2003, when a lump on his tongue led to a diagnosis of cancer, which doctors believed was aggressive enough to kill the boy if he did not undergo chemotherapy. His parents opted against the treatment and decided to seek further tests and an alternate course of action, even though doctors said chemotherapy was imperative. The doctor who provided the diagnosis went to the state Division of Child and Family Services, prompting a custody battle between the state and Jensen's parents.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by tecumsah]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Oh my gosh two against one sucks
. But i'll debate what I believe to be true, and I think she should be forced to undergo the surgery.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxRagingxPandaxX
Your saying with or without the surgery she dies, oooo ovarian cancer soo much different from every other form of cancer.

Ovarian cancer is NOT as treatable as other forms of cancer. It is the cancer that "oooooooo" you really dont want to get.

I have a very good friend fighting that battle right now, and unfortunately, I know more about how bad the prognosis is than I want to.

They can give you years, but a cure is not that likely. And that means you spend years getting treatments, dealing with symptoms, etc. If this woman is terrified of hospitals and needles, that means she is going to spend years suffering emotionally as well as physically. I just dont see that as justified, personally.

A couple rounds of chemo will make anyone averse to hospitals, and if this woman is already terrified of them, her life would be a hell. Whats the point? Everyone has to die of something, its how you live that really matters.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   

That's exactly what I mean. She will be faced with many trips to the doctors and lots of needles even if the surgery is deemed a success.

She really should be allowed to live in peace.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

This is my last post on this thread since obviously this debate is going nowhere and no matter what we say it will not affect the outcome of this womans life. Number one all forms of cancer are preventable if caught early and removed. Number two, any kind of cancer sucks, and I don't wish any of them on anyone. Number three I don't know why you didn't mention this friend of yours earlier when you were trying to prove a point, i'm not calling you a liar but it does strike me as odd. Number four, if this friend of yours truly does exist I wish for a miracle to happen to them and they have my prayers. Number five I think this woman does have a chance of living and it doesn't have to take years to cure just possible the removal as long as it hasn't spread which I don't know if it has or not could save her life and that could be the end of it she could live a long happy life after the removal. But as I said before only if it hasn't spread, and the more time they spend debating to make her, the more time the cancer has to spread.
I think she has a fighting chance, and I hope to they make her get the surgery done for her sake.

XxRagingxPandaxX
Peace out

[edit on 27-5-2010 by XxRagingxPandaxX]

[edit on 27-5-2010 by XxRagingxPandaxX]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

I am truly sorry to hear about your friend. She will be kept in thoughts and prayers.

Thank you for contributing your knowledge to this thread. I know it is difficult to discuss when its a reality in your own life.

This is the first time I've spoken in public about cancer since loosing my mother, it is still most difficult.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

The purpose of the thread was to discuss the issue of "forcing" someone to take treatments. Not just this particular woman, though I do feel concern for her and her situation.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SheaWolf

Yeah, cancer is hard. The sad thing about my friend is that she was in nursing school, and so as soon as she got the diagnosis, she knew more or less what her odds were.

She has already had a radical debulking, a round of chemo, its growing again on her bladder, which necessitated another surgery, and she is waiting to see if she qualifies for a trial.

She is only 51. All cancer is bad, and I wouldnt wish it on anyone. My friend wants to fight it, but even with her wanting to, she dreads going in for treatments.

In this case, the main reason I think they should leave her alone is because they cant promise her a cure, and all they can promise her is years of medical treatments she is terrified of. If they could cure her, I would say that she should be forced, because the years of good life afterward would be worth it perhaps. But when they are dealing with something where a cure is unlikely, AND against the patients wishes, they should think about her quality of life.

Quality over quantity, unless the patient wishes to fight for all they are worth.

Im really sorry about your mother. I really feel for my friends children too. Its not easy having a loved one with cancer. You want so much to be able to make it better for them and you are just helpless. And the person with cancer has so much to process. Its hard watching someone come to terms with death when it is staring them in the face. I dont deal with the everyday things they do. And no matter how much I care about her and love her as a friend, its not the same as when it is the parent who nurtured you all your life.

Im so sorry for your loss, but I do believe that no matter how hard and scary death is for the living, it really isnt a bad thing for the one who passes. I do believe in a better place, and an end to all suffering.

Edit to add,

And for XXRagingXPandaXX, I am not saying you are wrong. There is no absolute right and wrong in situations like this. We all have to go with our heart and our gut, and we can debate the issue, but it really is just a personal judgment ultimately. I am just giving my reasoning for my judgment. I am not trying to make you change yours. We all just do the best we can, and I know you are only saying what you honestly believe to be right.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tecumsah

In 2003.

His parents opted against the treatment and decided to seek further tests and an alternate course of action, even though doctors said chemotherapy was imperative. The doctor who provided the diagnosis went to the state Division of Child and Family Services, prompting a custody battle between the state and Jensen's parents.

The article published today says,

Parker Jensen, who never underwent chemotherapy, is currently serving an LDS Church mission in Chile.

His parents apparently did well to run away and hide him from them.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

My mother was an RN, like your friend she too knew as soon as the diagnosis came. I had been her "study buddy" when she was in school, so I knew too.

She "beat" it 3 times (that's what the doctors call it) with surgery and 6+ months of chemo each time. Chemo makes you too weak and ill to have children near you because of colds and such. So when it return yet a 4th time she opted for quality, saying that the treatments weren't worth the loss of having her grandchildren near her when she desired them most.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

My apologies, I didn't see your post before.

I don't know where her family is in all of this or even if she has one. I would hope that if she did that they would help and support her with her decision, no matter which way she decided. But since it mentions none it would appear the poor lady is alone which is very sad indeed.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by SheaWolf]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
*Rage post deleted*

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Exuberant1]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join