It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Betelgese About to go Supernova!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Chalk this up to the usual rumor mill, but there could be some legs to this.

Various sites on the net are speculating that the star Betelgese in the Orion belt may go supernova any day now (well, for us, at least -- it would have collapsed some 640 years ago)

This rumor has appeared to pick up legs again based on a posting at this site alledging Hawaiian astronomers say the star is no longer round. But it was mentioned last year as well with some doom speculation that the Earth would be bombarded with a gamma ray burst, creating an ELE.

The mainstream science world is less alarmist. If it does go supernova in our lifetimes, we'll be treated to an object as bright as the moon for a couple of months. Much like what was reported in ancient texts in the year 1054

Of course, I'm sure the 2012 crowd will have a field day with this tho....

[edit on 5/25/2010 by behindthescenes]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I might stress if/when it does to NOT visually look at it. As tempting as it is, The Novae would be a m illion times brighter than our own Sun, but origionating from a pin-point in the sky. thus burning a nice hole in your retina if you chose to visually observe it.
Further Supernovae have been safely observed in historical times due to their dimmer luminosity from distances away from Earth.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
As much as I would hate to loose Betelgeuse, because I like seeing Orion as it is. The opportunity to witness a supernova occurring in my lifetime is pretty thrilling.

On the downside, I am not holding my breath since there is not much talk about it on more mainstream sites as you would think there would be.

link   

link   
Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse.

This would certainly be a spectacular site if it does. We could witness something that very few humans have ever seen...

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by potential_problem
how i can take behindthescenes as serious man, if he mistakes 640 light years with 640 MILLIONS, omfg.

yeah, i know, for some there's no problem, i assume.

[edit on 25-5-2010 by potential_problem]

Thanks, bub. I do know the difference. Forgot to take out that million detail. Just a slight detail problem. Nothing wrong otherwise. Move along.

[edit on 5/25/2010 by behindthescenes]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Thanks, bub. I do know the difference. Forgot to add that million detail. Just a slight detail problem. Nothing wrong otherwise. Move along.

dude, you are ignorant.

Just curious...do you have anything substantive to add to this discussion? I don't mind being flamed when it's deserved, but in this case, you seem to be really going for the throat when it's clearly not needed.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
can i look at it if i use those solar eclipse glasses?

and sunblock 5000?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Does that mean it would be visible during the day? I know that most stars are overwhelmed by the Sun, but surely that would show up regardless.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by potential_problem

So correct the OP and make a post related to the topic. Why carry on like this? Part of the decline of ATS could be attributed to needless flaming

Would certainly be a spectacular thing to see. It would freak me out, but I would still want to look

[edit on 25-5-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by potential_problem
how i can take behindthescenes as serious man, if he mistakes 640 light years with 640 MILLIONS, omfg.

Its not an easy mistake to make really, but I think his point is correct in that its already long since happened, weather thats 640 years ago, or 640 million.

To me though its more the fact that once you see the flash, the light from the event has hit you... and what ever else is traveling with the light... or right behind it. Just how fast do things like gama radiation travel compared to the speed of light?

Interestingly the last few months ive been wishing to see a supernova, I mean with the sheer number of stars in the sky you'd think you'd get to see at least a few wink out ever few decades or so... will definitely make a dent in the night sky with that bright red star missing from one of the most recognizable constellations for both the north and southern hemisphere

**tips his hat to Betelgese**

Then again its still just a rumor im guessing?..

[edit on 25-5-2010 by BigfootNZ]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Betelgeuse is not in the belt. It is Orion's shoulder.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

Why carry on like this?

Extrapolate that "million times" problem onto WHOLE ATS, 97% of posts are like that now, just that.

Sorry i got nerve now, i better logout.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
At least it isn't the star in the constellation Sagittarius (Archer) that is pointing a supernova tipped arrow at us. The gas and dust particles that form the tail off that star make a perfect spiral to us in the Earth's line of view, meaning that when the star goes supernova it will be pointing directly at us. How is that for an "Archer?"

www.cosmosmagazine.com...
(cant find a better source atm, but I am pretty sure ATS mentioned it before)

[edit on 25-5-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Betelgeuse is 640 light years away. and that is very close. The star's diameter would be about 950 to 1,000 times that of the Sun and it is thought to have a mass of about 20 solar masses. That is going to be one big light show. However we are in no real danger as the stars poles are not directed at us if it was make every day as it would be your last because we would defintely be living on borrowed time if that was the case. However we might experience night as being day as that what happened when a star went nova roughly 2000 years ago.

[edit on 25/5/2010 by loner007]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

your watching the level of ats falling??wtf, you have only been a member for like 2 months ... give yerself a shake and stop trolling.

ON TOPIC ...

im very excited for this, this has actualy been gettings some main stream mentiones as it goes, just a month or so ago brian cox was talking about this very situation on one of his bbc shows, saying that its primed and ready, just noone knows when!

this deffinitelly has my attention!!!

poor betelgeuce though!

[edit on 25-5-2010 by boaby_phet]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Has anyone even here bothered to go look at this through a telescope? Or even looked at google sky? I thought observation was one of the basics of learning but I guess petty complaining is more important.

I was wondering if Betelgeuse always looks like that on google sky and if that really hot spot pointing at us might be one of the poles of the sun(trouble)?

[edit on 25-5-2010 by thedarklingthrush]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join