It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God Help Us

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I just had a conversation with someone that really got to me.

Person: I just killed a bee!
me: Dont kill bees
Person: Flies into my house, its dead, simple!
me: You do know that some bees cant even sting, and those that do only do it as a last resort?
person: I dont care, if it flies into my house, it dies a horrible death!
me: Thats the problem with the human race, they just kill anything that doesnt fit in with their own desires
person: I dont like honey anyway!
me: man are you really that ignorant? They do more than just produce honey
person: woaaaaaaaaaaah!!
me: if the bees were extinct, so would we be a few years later
person: still hate the #as!

UGH. What right does it give us to kill an insect just because it entered our home? Especially an insect that is already in trouble likely due to human behavior?

So many insects are on our side, without them things would be a lot different for us, we may not even exist. Spiders, bees, etc. How hard is it to just trap it in a cup or something, and let it go outside?

[edit on 24-5-2010 by Firefly_]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

Wow! It`s different when they just tell it to your face like that.

I love bees but I have a phobia for spiders, cockroaches and centipedes and yet I can`t kill them. It`s really hard in the summer, I try to trap them in a cup and take them outside. (hyperventilating
)

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_

What right does it give us to kill an insect just because it entered our home?

I hire an exterminator to spray for insects.

It's pretty effective at killing all of the crawling insects before they enter my home. The poison does a pretty good job of killing some of the flying insects as well. BUt just in case I got myself a big ole electric bug zapper hanging out back that zaps the flying insects into a million little pieces.

Are you Hindu by any chance? I hear they worship cockroaches.

I guess I'm the enemy huh.

[edit on 24-5-2010 by Freedom or Death]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Like last year we got so many ladybirds, those insects. I could not hurt one, i just put them all outside.

Being passive like me is rare for humans, and 90% of the human race are just murderers.

So op's story if true would not surprise me.

I would just avoid scum like that, and i do.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I don't go out of my way to kill insects, but what people do in their own homes is none of my concern. Insects are the most successful breeders in nature with a rough ratio of 200 million insects per human.

Is it insensitive to kill insects just for the hell of it? Maybe, I don't know. All you can do is try to set an example for others with your actions if you see something wrong with this behavior.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom or Death

Hey, didn't know if you knew - so here's some information about what bees do for us... basically it equates to the pollinating plants so that they can grow and then feed us and well, pretty much the entire ecosystem on land.

History of the bee.

Bee Pollination in Agricultural Ecosystems

Oxford University Link

A 13 Year Old Understands.

All of these go to show the importance of bees in the ecosystem, the last one is really well written for a 13 year old, perhaps we should ask her to join ATS.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Heh. So I'm not alone. (note: I didn't say "not nuts after all") I've done the spider thing (even though they creep me ALL the way out) with the little ones. Pill bugs, I cannot stand to kill.

Things that can harm me or the dogs (like wasps & bees/ hornets), not so much. If they refuse to cooperate & be herded out, well...

God IS Helping us. These critters are here for a reason. It's our job to try & stay out of their way and not cause any mass extinctions if we can (& under normal circumstances, we won't) If science knew as much as it thinks it does, we'd pretty much be using bugs to control other pests, not chemicals. But of course, there's no money in that.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Wow! I know ATS has some excentric members, but never in my wildest dreams did I think I would find a thread lobbying for insect life rights.

Man, if it's a moth or a Mayfly...something that has no teeth or stingers, I'll catch if it I can, kill if I can't. Spiders and stinging insects die a slow horrible death as I stand over them and laugh maniacally.

We are the insect's God, and I am a vengeful God!!

[edit on 24-5-2010 by KILL_DOGG]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
OP, I think you may be over-reacting just a little...

I mean, I could understand if your friend hired a cropduster and sprayed within 20 miles of his house for bees and killed them en-masse, but a bee, in my house gets smooshed too I'm afraid.

Go into a [Insert Large Mammal Here]'s natural habitat and see what happens to you...

EDIT: If there's one and only one rule I live by, "If it's got 8 legs, KILL IT!"

[edit on 24/5/10 by GobbledokTChipeater]

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by KILL_DOGG

From This Source.

The history of bees runs parallel to that of mankind. Since the dawn of humanity, man has prized honey. Today, this nectar has become rare, because the bees are not well. In France over the past thirty years, the bee population has been diminishing and becoming increasingly fragile. The blame can be placed squarely on man’s shoulders: the industrial exploitation of nature, the excessive addition of chemicals to produce better quality honey in greater quantities. The quest for more has backfired. Once again, an ecosystem is in danger. It is not only the bee but the whole complementary chain linking animal to plant life that has been disrupted. No bees means no pollinisation, which means the disappearance of certain plant species, which in turn means the disappearance of certain animal species…

I'm not getting all upset about dead insects, just trying to highlight the importance of bees.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom or Death

Just because it's early and I feel like nitpicking, Hindu's don't worship cockroaches.
Many Hindus believe that all forms of life contain a spirit (even micro-organisms), and although their consciousness varies depending on many factors, liberation is still attainable...even for them.

... just to clarify

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by KILL_DOGG
Wow! I know ATS has some excentric members, but never in my wildest dreams did I think I would find a thread lobbying for insect life rights.

This is a fundamental issue though. This is one of those things that actually matter, because we are not the only species that depend on others to survive.

We are supposed to live in harmony with nature. Killing lost insects is something to be ashamed of, not something to brag about.

I understand the need to deal with pests, that spoil food and spread diseases. Some insects feed off death, so cause death so they can eat. But others are the oppposite and people treat them all the same!

I dont think I am overreacting. The person i was speaking to clearly shows total disrespect for other life forms. He's not an isolated case, its the norm. This is somethng that seriously needs addressing.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
If the above ratio of 200 million insects per human is correct, and every man, woman and child squished 2 million bugs each tomorrow, then it would make a 1% difference to the insect population. Relax.

I understand the need for preservation, but... really?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater
If the above ratio of 200 million insects per human is correct, and every man, woman and child squished 2 million bugs each tomorrow, then it would make a 1% difference to the insect population. Relax.

I understand the need for preservation, but... really?

Its about lack of respect!

link   
well i agree bees are needed but most things that bug you arent as easy to be ride of anyway .A fragile butterfly or bee is one thing .
I have one that was bugging me try raid seamed to want more chips .
tryed booming well it was bombed all right could swear i saw little peace signs .
Finly called in the pros guy took on look at her and headed for the door as if a she devil was arter him . He doesnt know how close it .
so here i am today still being buged is there anything that gets ride of X wifes???????????

link   
Thanks Firefly. I agree with your post 100%. I fail to understand why people can go ""oooh, look at that beautiful tiger" and then smash an insect for no particular reason. Life is life and their is no spiritual hierarchy that says that one life form is more important, beautiful or necessary than any other. Which is more important; a moose or a mouse?
This is our original mindset, to only kill that which we need to survive. Everything else is part of God;s creation and should be respected as such. Our dominionist theologies are the predominant problem with the world today. If we can teach our children to respect even insects, how much easier would it be to teach them to respect our fellow man?

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_

Its about lack of respect!

Can't argue with that.

To clarify where I'm coming from: I'm not one to mercilessly kill anything living that gets with a 10 meter radius of me, however I'm also not one to tiptoe around a spider for weeks who has decided his home is the middle of my living room. I will agree to (mildly) disagree.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater

EDIT: If there's one and only one rule I live by, "If it's got 8 legs, KILL IT!"

bee's have 6 legs.... and 2 wings but THEY DONT COUNT!!! I love honey... And dont forget honey has alot of medical aplications.... If we were to unvoluntarily be thrown back to the stoneage honey could be a real lifesaver...

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
some people swell up and die when stung.

bet your ass if i were allergic id kill it rather than grab a cup.

another thing is bees have their place, and its not inside a home. what good is a bee going to do in your home unless you have a massive horticulture project in need of pollination...

i see my dog eat a bee every now and then, how is a person killing one every now and then any different? doesnt that keep everything in balance?

i think its the mass killings that really hurt them/us, like whatever else is killing all the bee's
(cell towers? monsanto?)

just my .02

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Thanks Firefly. I agree with your post 100%. I fail to understand why people can go ""oooh, look at that beautiful tiger" and then smash an insect for no particular reason. Life is life and their is no spiritual hierarchy that says that one life form is more important, beautiful or necessary than any other. Which is more important; a moose or a mouse?
This is our original mindset, to only kill that which we need to survive. Everything else is part of God;s creation and should be respected as such. Our dominionist theologies are the predominant problem with the world today. If we can teach our children to respect even insects, how much easier would it be to teach them to respect our fellow man?

if every creature had this mindset, say goodbye to the ecosystems.

whos to say humans didnt unexpectedly throw off the balance in that area by simply moving in? maybe building all the homes made the bats go away, and inadvertently raised the insect population? in that situation the insects would need to be CONTROLLED or it will snowball and throw off other sensitive ecosystems.

in this situation weather the person knows it or not, its actually their unofficial duty to kill the insects to prevent further destruction, that started unintentionally with them.

theres a reason insects were one of the great plagues, because uncontrolled they cause great devistation.

::edit:: but i agree, if the person feels no remorse then there is an issue.

p.s. ive yet to find a purpose for ticks. those punks do nothing more than leech off other lifeforms and spread disease. but im sure they serve a purpose of some kind...

[edit on 24-5-2010 by LurkerMan]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join