It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OILPOCALYPSE!? (lets get real)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by insideNSA

Oh, please do follow up on my 2 new threads that deal with the long terms effects of oil spills. I begging for data that shows long terms damage and it seems you and your ilk are praying that 1 thread in particular goes away...

The idea that comparing one spill to another is irrelevant is ludicrous. If we have nothing to compare it to then what is there to even talk about??? But you doomsayers don't want to talk about any of that. Instead you want to scream that the sky is falling and not even be able to explain what that means, other than that its bad. That is what we call fearmongering, with a foundation of guilt mongering.

I never even said there wouldn't be fall out anywhere. What I did do was show how historically most of the problems go away naturally. But you people want to paint the picture that a massive blob is going to sweep over the planet decimating everything in its path.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The article speaks for itself... like we've been telling you all along.

There was mounting evidence last night that the scale of the oil spill disaster in the Gulf of Mexico has grown beyond all the initial worst-case scenarios, as thousands of gallons

Atlantic coast now under threat as current spreads Gulf oil slick

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by insideNSA

Breathtaking... that you post a 2 day old article, when the 20 tarballs found off of the Keys have been lab proven to not be from the gusher. And the other 'mounting evidence' is the video of the gusher that is old news.

But what's really remarkable is that several people have made comments as if I ever said there wouldn't be fallout, as if I ever said there wouldn't be problems anywhere, and so on. I've begged for anyone to quote me where I've said that, but you cannot.

All I've done here is dispel several myths, and put some overlooked things related to oil the environment and industry into perspective. Yet for not screaming and thrashing about total irreparable damage, doomsday scale damage, I've been lambasted as some sort of shill. Comments like 'be man enough to admit when you're wrong' or whatever. Yet nobody can quote me for what I've been wrong about.

Pretty embarrassing for many, but certainly not me, and no wonder this thread has gotten so quiet. On that note, I'll ask again, as I have many times to get no answer: How many of you doomsayers have gotten rid of your automobile(s), or bought a biodiesel processing system? Here's a new one: As something like half the electricity in the US is generated by oil and natural gas, how many of you have sold your desktop PC to get a laptop computer which uses only a fraction of power?

Meanwhile there is tons of quotes and content that could be directly addressed [read up on using quote brackets] to try and give renewed 'umph to your myths, yet it appears that nobody is trying to do that even. So as it stands, those who throw snide little comments at me look deeply foolish, and your myths are on the ropes. The funny thing is I believed many of these myths until a several days ago when I decided it was important to me to truly understand oil spills.

Do note that this thread was about DOOMSDAY OILPOCALYPSE, basically long term wide-region effects of oil. Some of you people act as if I've claimed that various oil components would never wash up ANYWHERE. Nice try.

I've begged in multiple threads for damning long term data reports from other hard hit regions of varying scales, even providing a choice blueprint for places to look into, yet nobody seems able to dig up any data. If such data were presented to me I'd adjust my position, unlike the zealots who attack me who won't change their doomongering tactics no matter what facts or perspectives could be furnished.

This was all very predictable, and now it might be obvious why I decided to post this thread in the Deconstructing Disinfo forum. Well done guys.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Thank you so much for this thread. I will admit that the fantastical doom saying and fearmongering have a way of appealing to the human desire for adventure and escape from everyday dulldrums (reality). I had no idea what to make of this oil leak hooplah, until reading your thread. Now Im a whole lot more educated as well as even a little comforted. Also now I understand what happened out there.

It was the radical fundamentalist christian terrorists.

And it really stinks that they will make a ton of cash off of this as well as restrict the burning of fossil fuels in the near future.

I really hoped that this wasnt a scam, but it looks like it is, and I truly feel crapped on by these christian terrorists and thier corporations.

Thanks again for putting the ecological portion into perspective for me.

Later

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
...worst oil disaster in the history of the world.

uhhhh when will you learn????

where do you live in florida? when you are evacuated will you still be saying that this 'isn't that bad?'

give me a break about the tarballs coming from some gusher. give me a source for that one (lol and not a BP funded propaganda source which seems to be your favorites)

now there is talk of mass evacuations.

i can't argue with someone who doesn't use logic and had blinders over their eyes!

but what cracks me up even more is when citing news that is 'two days old' or from this source or that source as a reason to hide your eyes from the truth. and ignoranceisBliss I'm not pointing the finger totally at you in this case. what cracks me up even more is when people accuse me of siting 'conservative news organizations' as the source. THINK ABOUT IT. its those same guys who own the oil and are spreading the propaganda. they would want to do the OPPOSITE of what you accuse them of doing and make it seem like its 'all not that bad'

have you thought about this ignoranceisBliss? that the media is gov't controlled now and mostly the gov't is full of these oil good ole boys. and that if you do run across an article here or there that it JUST MIGHT be propaganda to make the situation seem not as bad as it really is????

Gulf Oil Spill 2010: Plans to evacuate Tampa Bay area expected to be announced

Plans to evacuate the Tampa Bay area are expected to be announced in the coming days as FEMA prepares for what is now being called the worst oil disaster in the history of the world.

and my question to IgnoranceisBliss is this. HOW BAD does this have to get before you admit you were wrong in your OP that this isn't that bad?

as i said earlier I wish you were right. unfortunately you are dead wrong. its already super bad and getting worse as the oil continue to flows outta the broken pipe.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by insideNSA]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
UPDATE: I just called some folks over at FEMA and what is starting to be reported IS TRUE. They are actually getting ready to evacuate the coastal areas of the gulf states including Florida. Now IF they evacuate is another question. Hopefully that won't be necessary. But IT AIN'T LOOKIN GOOD!

Not that bad?????? REALLY?????

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

It sure is difficult trying to educate ignorant people.

I commend you for giving it a try though.

Three of the worse disasters from oil production were all caused before most of these posters were even a glint in their parents eyes.

There is no evidence of any of them today.

That includes the IXTOC I oil well incident which makes the present situation look small.

The IXTOC I oil well was owned by the Mexican governments oil company PEMEX.

It may be of interest that both these 2 oil well failures in the Gulf of Mexico happened during the incompetent administrations of 2 Democratic Presidents both vying for worse president of all time.

Obama presently is in the lead!

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Oneolddude]

[edit on 20-5-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by insideNSA
Gulf Oil Spill 2010: Plans to evacuate Tampa Bay area expected to be announced

Plans to evacuate the Tampa Bay area are expected to be announced in the coming days as FEMA prepares for what is now being called the worst oil disaster in the history of the world.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RRUUUUUNNNNNN!!!

ITS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evacuate the entire tri-county area! The Oil is coming! The Oil is coming!!!!

Hey thanks. Thanks for pointing out some more extremist disinfo I hadn't noticed

Here's the original source of this disinfo:
LINK

Amazing that Google turns up 6,160 results.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
You are in some serious delusion...
I've been hanging around two forums that cater to the oilmen/woman that work on these rigs. In fact there are men there that have worked on the Deepwater Horizon in the past. These people are freaking out just as much as the SO CALLED fear-mongering you have gone to great lengths to disprove. I'd suggest you do some more homework, and instead of dragging miles of unrelated BS arguments into your theory, you could actually use your time to discover the truth about the potential for the catastrophe in the gulf to be the single most destructive industrial "accident" EVER. I put "accident" in quotes too, because I have seen discussed in great detail on the forum mentioned, that GROSS NEGLIGENCE is to blame for this accident.
No star, no flag...your post is an aimless, baseless rant.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by odd1out

Why then why don't you explain the "potential" threat? Explain it to me. It seems I've been getting more people just making comments similar to yours instead of actually articulating a realistic scenario. Throw in some links maybe. Maybe use some quote brackets.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Here goes some more disinfo looking material being put out by the "Skytruth.org" website that I keep seeing alarmists cite:
oilspill.skytruth.org...

If you zoom in on the big RED Tampa balloon you'll see that the items making the relatively big number are all basically "Unaffected". They put that Unaffected category in so 'people' could report that 'news', but to the casual observer it indicates that Tampa is being affected. Slimy.

Here's a realistic one that is almost identical, yet lacks anything near Tampa:
oilspill.labucketbrigade.org...

It appears that somebody copied somebody's widget. Hmm...

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Here's some other interesting mythology going on:
Gas Leak in Gulf 3000 Times Worse Than Oil Leak

Somehow a 3000:1 Natural Gas to Crude Oil ratio would be a bad thing?

Natural Gas is a GAS and not a LIQUID, meaning it comes pre-evaporated.

Meanwhile 50% of crude oil evaporates too, except it contains 6% tar and a bunch of other gunk. But the part that evaporates consists of chemical solvents such as "Xylene" (paint thinner).

When you fart (methane) in a pool, doesn't it bubble up to the surface? Ok now pour some paint thinner in the pool and see which disappears into the atmosphere quicker.

So that theory doesn't make sense on several levels.

Enjoy the thread. There's even discussion about "exploding hurricanes" in it.

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
hey ignorantBliss you still want to quote BP sources that things 'aren't that bad?'

Under pressure from federal lawmakers, BP has made public a video feed from the ocean floor that shows the spill site in real time. The live images have led independent researchers to conclude the oil spill is much larger than originally thought.

"BP's numbers just don't add up, and the video proved it," Rep. Edward Markey (D-Mass) said in a press release. "The whole world could see that there must be much more than 5,000 barrels per day coming from BP's spill. That is just what we saw today, who knows what we will see tomorrow?"

In an interview with FOX News Radio reporter Eben Brown, BP spokesman Mark Salt insisted the original 5,000 barrel per day estimate of the total spill came from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and not his company. However, the new revelations of additional oil have prompted BP's critics to suggest the company has been less than forthcoming with bad news.

Neither the oil company nor federal officials would speculate on a new estimate of how much oil has spilled into the Gulf.

BP Caught lying about the 5000 barrels a day estimate

i gotta laugh when I read ignorenceNblisses futile attempts to disprove the enormity of the situation. he buys right into the news controlled propaganda that everything is ok.

he is just digging himself deeper and deeper into a hole. as the poster above points out.

sad fact is... soon when all this stuff gets in the gulf stream and starts washing up everywhere. (it has started washing up in the gulf states) he will look like a fool, for promoting lies. i think he really wants to believe this isn't that bad because he lives in florida and his state is about to be drenched in oil.

that sad fact is, you can't compare this to any oil SPILL in the past. this is an ongoing slow disaster unfolding before our eyes. the feds have put a live stream on the broken pipe online so scientists can view and estimate how much is still coming out. and i'm sure the lowball 5000 barrels a day number will be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, orders of magnitude less than what is really coming out of that pipe.

whats coming out is an exxon valdez every 4 days, if they really are capturing 20% (probalby more like 5%) than the disaster is mitigated to an exxon valdez every 5 days
still pretty bad.

for every article funded by BP/gov't interest that says, it ain't that bad, i read 10 more that say it is, by independent sources who have no political or financial stake in the issue. ignoranceisbliss cites BP funded articles and proclaims them as gospel

oh what a sad day.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by insideNSA]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Its just getting started...

A month in, outrage over Gulf oil spill grows
Up to now, only tar balls and a sheen of oil had come ashore. But chocolate brown and vivid orange globs and sheets of foul-smelling oil the consistency of latex paint have begun coating the reeds and grasses of Louisiana's wetlands, home to rare birds, mammals and a rich variety of marine life.

With each passing day, outrage grows.

expotentially these kinds of reports will start pouring in.

ignoranceIsBliss will have a deluge of reports to explain away with his special kind of logic

[edit on 21-5-2010 by insideNSA]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I"m still waiting Mr IgnoranceIsn'tBliss.... still waiting for you to finally admit you have been wrong all along and that this oil spill is seriously worse than you tried to paint it to be.

I admit when I'm wrong.... Its what men do. So are you a man or a liberal... i mean mouse? OR will you continue to obfuscate the truth with propaganda, skewed logic and outright BS?

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by insideNSA
I"m still waiting Mr IgnoranceIsn'tBliss.... still waiting for you to finally admit you have been wrong all along and that this oil spill is seriously worse than you tried to paint it to be.

I admit when I'm wrong.... Its what men do. So are you a man or a liberal... i mean mouse? OR will you continue to obfuscate the truth with propaganda, skewed logic and outright BS

What am I wrong about?!?
QUOTE ME!!!

Here, I'll quote myself:

The pipe / bore size of the Ixtoc I blowout might give us perspective of the Deepwater Horizon. The Ixtoc had a pipe that was 9-5/8", compared to the 20" Horizon pipe.

The well was initially flowing at a rate of 30,000 barrels per day (1 barrel = 42 US gallons = 159 litres), which was reduced to around 10,000 bpd by attempts to plug the well. Two relief wells were drilled to relieve pressure and the well was eventually killed nine months later on 23 March 1980.
members.tele2.nl...

Going by these rough numbers one could argue that it would take 4.5 months to reach Ixtoc levels, unlike some reporting that suggests we're already that far gone.

But 60,000 isn't good enough for you people. You all want it to be as bad as can be. Disgusting!

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Hey, suggestion! Get off your bandwagon because all that oil that's "not so harmful" is coming ashore as we speak. You will get to see the real deal now, very soon.

Then you will see that even if the natural processes eventually clean the spill up, the damage is far too great for us to see the Gulf (as it was) again for the next 10-15 years. It'll be one big stinking dead zone.

Time to change teams and start looking out for the delicate balance of marine ecology, because it affects us all on land. It's not too late, maybe you can call some people and see if they wouldn't mind plugging that leak a little sooner.

[edit on 21-5-2010 by 1SawSomeThings]

posted on May, 21 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1SawSomeThings
Hey, suggestion! Get off your bandwagon because all that oil that's "not so harmful" is coming ashore as we speak. You will get to see the real deal now, very soon.

I said there would be immediate effects.

Time to change teams and start looking out for the delicate balance of marine ecology, because it affects us all on land. It's not too late, maybe you can call some people and see if they wouldn't mind plugging that leak a little sooner.

Can you guess what that is?

Also see here:
IIB Urban Garden 2010

Please enlighten me what you're doing on your end to make the world a better place, other than guilt-mongering.

posted on May, 24 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
uhhh... do you seriously want me to answer 'what did you say that is wrong' its the whole freakin premise of your OP!!!, that this spill isn't as bad as its being reported to be. actually its much worse. as by now you must see it.

you bring up irrelevant comparisons of previous 'spills' which have nothing to do with this underwater oil volcano.

each of your individual facts may be correct, but the conclusion you draw from them is obviously dead wrong.

do you still think this situation 'isn't that bad'? answer me that question honestly please. i really want to know if you really think this situation 'isn't that bad'. no back peddling as everything you have said is recorded in this thread

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join