It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Taking Suggestions From Public? Submit your idea!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Is it [highly?] possible that this could have been shut off simply by using sufficient depth charges,

and the ONLY reason we as a nation are being subjected to a colossal environmental catastrophe is because BP, again cutting costs, just doesn't want to have to re-drill this well?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Thanks for the submission site info. I submitted my idea. Injecting the 2 precursors that go into making nylon into the well head. The 2 water-viscosity-like liquids can be jetted in under high pressure and instantly form ribbons and sheets of nylon that are not so super tough but are created in such huge quantities that they block the pipe like hundreds of handfuls of toilet paper would block a U-bend.

Now waiting for BP to steal the idea and claim a public victory for their "ingenuity".

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
I had this idea this morning but i think this pipe on the sea floor is too deep and too far out for it to be feasible:

Three or Four Mechanical Arms, One to lift pipe from Sea Floor, another to hold pipe a further 3,500 feet up to surface, another to hold pipe while cap is fitted, while this is being done another Arm attaches flexible pipe to other end of cap to create one long pipeline which reaches to land, from here you can filter out the oil into barrels or containers!

However if they could use a couple of submarines placed 3,500 feet apart in deep water it's possible but the mechanical arms would need to be huge in length!!

[edit on 17-5-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

Hey peeps, looks like my Idea or part of it is going to get a go... this is from the skynews website today:

BP said it is already preparing for the next attempt to stop the leak - using robot submarines to cut off the damaged riser from which the oil is leaking, and then trying to cap it with a containment valve.

As you can see... i mentioned about using subs and capping the riser...

Ok... others here may have suggested something similar too.... so i won't say it was just my idea!!

[edit on 30-5-2010 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
How about a giant Sham Wow ?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
BP Involved AGAIN in another 5000 barrel spill in Alaska

I suggest they not be involved in oil ever again

www.marketwatch.com...

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Thanks for the link!
Here's the suggestion I submitted.
For the: Source
Brief description of technology:
The detonation of a low-yield nuclear device (B61 or similar) at the source or in the ocean floor near the source will collapse the shaft for hundreds or thousands of feet, depending on the yield, destroying the oil's path to the ocean. This would mark the first applied use by the United States of Peaceful Nuclear Explosions since the PNE Treaty of 1976 was signed. There are plenty of warheads stockpiled, waiting to eventually be disassembled if not used.

Equipment needed:
1 low-yield nuclear warhead, possibly a B61, from the US Enduring Stockpile.

Expertise needed:
If the government is willing to cooperate, the DOE will be able to provide engineers with the necessary expertise. Engineers involved in the Plowshare program would likely be the best source.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

holy guacamole...if that doesn't scream "desperate," I don't know what does

better start dumping landfill there by the tons, bury the friggin' hole, get new real estate for the US & Mexico to go to war over and call it a day

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I don't think it's desperate. I think it's BP trying their best to look like they're open to ideas from the public, whether they really are or not.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
In order to stop the leak, the only way is with heavy concrete walls with a heavy still in it. There are a few ways to do it, either piece by piece, build a square and fill that up with concrete, with many yards of concrete, pour concrete with no pipes, nothing, just a clemp bucket. Drop it down and open it. It can also be mixed with really heavy rocks. You can also build heavy concrete squares with steel in it to put on top of each other as many feet as possible. You can either fill it up with concrete, mix with heavy rocks, or you can also put a valve on top of it later on.

Email: [email protected]

I will be able to explain more thoroughly and send a picture about my idea.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Freeze it!.

Drill holes fairly deep around the leak and just keep pumping Liquid nitrogen into them in theory the oil would slowly start to harden around the inner well hole wall as it does it would start to constrict it's flow like the clogging of an artery.

I know I'm way late on replying, many apologies for that... but things are a bit, umm, odd around here and have been for a good while now.

In any event, my friend Sir Charles Shults has just released a short video that not only snapped me back to remembering that I was asked to lend my opinion, but coming as it does from a very reputable scientist, lends a heck of a lot of credence to my friend Slayer's proposal.

Here it is:

I remember that I thought Slayer was on to something good with the freezing idea, my only concern was, besides the logistics, that it'd somehow warm up after some indeterminate period of time.

Considering the properties of the coolant, though, I'm no longer thinking that my fear would come to pass.

It certainly is a lot better in my humble opinion than nuking the thing, which although it'd work as well, would likely create even more trouble with the resultant radiation. Bad enough all that wonderful life is choking on oil... oil with radiation wouldn't be "better."

So, yes indeed... it's got my vote... cheers, mate!

Oh, here are the 3 comments posted on YouTube regarding this video:
(thorargent is Sir Charles)

tjc0der
1 day ago
This seems liable, only problem I see is with the pressure, and buoyancy when working with the robotics. But it'd just take patience by the operator I guess. Something needs to be done now no question though..
Also how much pressure does that oil flow force, could the robot get the inner-pip and hydraulic bag inside? Maybe combine the methods to slow it before stopping it, maybe this is what you were talking about anyway?

#
thorargent
1 day ago
@tjc0der You are correct about pressure. Liquid nitrogen would require a return line, actively pumped, to the surface or some other ejection system. This really isn't a show-stopper as literally any average grade of hydraulic flex line can handle the differential pressure. Chilled brine has a heat capacity much closer to that of the surrounding water and can easily be brought down to very low temperatures. That's what they use to freeze ice skating rinks. Chilled oil will thicken like tar.
thorargent 1 day ago

#
tjc0der
20 hours ago
@thorargent Definitely sounds better than what they're implementing now.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Freeze it!.

Drill holes fairly deep around the leak and just keep pumping Liquid nitrogen into them in theory the oil would slowly start to harden around the inner well hole wall as it does it would start to constrict it's flow like the clogging of an artery.

Actually not a bad idea

Only problem is what if the well casing cracks and breaks causing a new leak outside of the well footing. I would suspect this idea was floated by some scientist at HIVE..

My idea is best I think drill down 14,000-16,000 feet next to well with a davy crocket size nuke and set it off.

We can test this in shallow waters off Bikini Atoll since area is nuclear contaminated anyway.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by discl0sur3

Here is what I submitted to Horizon Ideas:

Called "thread the needle/ drop the needle".

Involves machining a 200 to 50 yd "needle" to insert into the leaking pipe. The diameter would be nearly pointed in the front and tapering up to a diameter a little larger than the leaking pipe. The tapered needle should be thick walled put perforated to allow pumping in cementing mud.

Thread the vertical needle into the blown pipe and drop it in with enough pressure to drive in down and tightly seal the pipe.

Hold it in while pumping in cementing mud to complete the seal. The pipe could later be welded in place to prevent a blowout.

I have yet to get a response from Horizon.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
---Has Sir Charles Schultz ever tried to install a sprayer head on his garden hose while the water was on? My spigot before my regulator puts out over 120psi. There's no way it can be done, so how's he suggest we install that over-thought and surely over-priced valve tree? My idea as of 05/18/2010 was to just install a valve, though at that time I did not know there was a flange after the BOP, so I thought one would have to cut the pipe... which would be time consuming if the riser's flange can be removed.

---I don't think he thought of it. I don't think anyone is thinking. If they were, they'd stop calling in the arm-chair mechanics & call in the blue collars.

---My assessment is, for some reason, they don't want to stop the spill of oil.

---Furthermore, I don't know if it is so BP can recover all this "unmetered" oil that even they say cannot be estimated, how much has spilled or is spilling. If it's not going through a counter/meter, I guess they can make any claim how much oil they recovered... even if it is 1/10th of what they really recovered... or maybe plumes will be like storage for them. Maybe it is so Obama can force us into being self efficient, which in regards to that topic, it is my belief that even when British Petroleum (which BP had changed their name around what 2004?) , there was nothing brit about the company other than the name and Michigan's Blarney Castle Oil's owner being a McCarthy & having a foreign address to use when applying for export taxes.

---Screw all that though. I am about fed up with this BS. I didn't know about the spill until the day before the fire went out! Two days later I had found the site where you could UL your suggestion. Since then I have ULed/sent this suggestion to at least six places in total.

Three times to BP at the bogus deephorizon's suggestion site

1. 05/20/10 - The original message sent from my hotmail eMail address (I don't have desktop eMail set up)
  2. 05/26/10 - A week later, sent again from my hotmail eMail address (I don't have desktop eMail set up)
  3. 05/26/10 - Sent about 1 minute after #2, from my MSN eMail address (I don't have desktop eMail set up)

Once to Mr. Barack Hussein Obama via the White House Contact form

Again to Admiral Thad Allen

forums/sites posted on/to:
world-news.newsvine.com...
NSNBC.com via Contact Chris Matthews

---I'm sickened. They should All be hung by the neck AND I MEAN ALL* who have not handled this correctly.

Click here for the full image (thumbnail shown below) of my suggestion to the above mentioned waylayers

~Edit~

-Oh yeah (sorry about my rambling),

---And not a single person has replied, nor have I even received an automated response. So, I say, no one wants to shut it off because if they did, as a plumber of sorts, the first thing they would think of is installing an emergency shut off valve, which is the only part of the BOP that isn't working. The BOP is not damaged. The BOP is not leaking.

Blow Out Protector = an Anti-fire device, regulation in all marine application where flammable liquid/gasses are used/stored. AKA a flame arrestor - Same as what you would have on your vehicle, opposite your PCV valve.

---Straight and simple, if the flammable substance(s) ignite, it is a check-valve or restrictor that prevents the flame/burning substance from entering the well... or on your car, the crank case if the engine backfires. The BOP worked, the check valve worked. It's the main valve... or electronic diverter solenoid (of sort) that didn't close the main valve, shutting off the flow. Changing the valve would require a new BOP, but the BOP is fine... so add a new valve after the one that wouldn't close originally!

---The coastal US didn't explode, therefor the BOP itself didn't fail!

[edit on 14-6-2010 by trelliottjr]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Quit trying to seal it, plug it, stop it. Turn it back into a well. Bolt on to the well head with a type of flex pipe and at least bring the leak to the surface
where it can be controlled if nothing else. What is going on if this is a suicide mission that nobody wants. Is it a Bruce Willis they need. Hell I've lived long enough.
It would be an honor to do what ever has to be done. Submersible ?
Deepsea Diver. If it will even buy time or some hope towards a solution.

Sorry ! I just get all worked up.

I look at old folks bless 'em but that just looks painful. No thanks.
I'm a fast learner so put me in training I'll do what ever it takes.
Need some hands down there?

IMA GO!

[edit on 14-6-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs... Bolt on to the well head with a type of flex pipe and at least bring the leak to the surface
where it can be controlled if nothing else...

---Please whisper that or edit it so the font is the same color as the background.
You and I both know the life of flexpipe is maybe 2 years and that's not figuring in salt water. 1 Year in a Michigan winter... and there is air down there. Though thin, I would imagine it'd rust out quickly. If untested, I think they've had enough time for trial & error or crash & burn. It needs to be shut off... period.

---If they did install a valve and then bolt another riser to it... cool. I would hope our fine president would then take them to court for perjury when they acquired the right to drill off-shore... "We have the technology to prevent and/or repair... ". I say they should lose all privileges to handle any type of petroleum, even Country Crock.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I haven't read through this thread so this may have been covered but my idea is to make a long thin robot that climbs down into the hole of the well and when it gets to the bottom it inflates and expands pluggin it at the bottom.

I heard that it is impossible to plug the well at the top where the head is on the bottom of the ocean because it will blow out and leak underground.. you have to plug it at the bottom of the well itself.

Think of it as a thin robot that can climb to the bottom that contracts to plug the hole. If it is long enough it should be able to get enough traction and be strong enough to actually plug it.

And it could be made very quickly because you could make it in identical segments and all of them could be built at the same time in the exact same way - like cloning the segments.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Its a good thing BP is taking suggestions, or this problem may never get solved.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Minimum wage call center worker:
Hello, BP oil disaster hotline. We care about the earth and bringing you clean energy. What is your idea for stopping the cataclismic oil spill disaster?

Caller:
Is this the um oil disaster hotline where I tell you my idea to stop the oil leak volcano thing?

Yes sir. What is your idea to stop the unbelievable end of the world scenerio that is happening as we speak in the gulf of Mexico?

Caller:
Well, um I was kinda thinking that maybe we could just um take a ship and cram it down there in the hole and you know, kind of plug it up?

I see sir. Looking through our "How to stop the oil leak suggestion data base" I see that suggestion 354, 197 has already covered that idea.

Caller:
Um, well uh, did they also say to load up the ship with um an atomic bomb?

Yes sir, our data base shows that suggestion 58,298 invoves a ship loaded with an atomic bomb.

Caller:
Um, oh, I see. So if you guys use my idea, do I get credit for it or paid or anything?

Sorry, Don't think they really care.

Did you hear the one about the BP executives leaked email
that said "Suck It Fishies and Birdies"???
They must be getting quite a laugh out of their "idea hotline".

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join