It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Spill More Than 10X Greater Than Thought: Experts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
People i.e. Americans need to WTF up!!!!!! This is a complete and utter catastrophe! Or has that world lost meaning because of our media trance we are all in.

Ask yourself one question.......why the hell this thing wasn't closed shut with a huge bomb. It is the only solution. But it won't happen because BP will lose way too much money and future profits if this oil well is permanently closed off with a bomb. This disaster could have been solved or averted days after it happened with a bomb sealing it shut. But it was never even an option because the well would be useless. The Gulf people and the rest of America should be boycotting everything BP and better yet lighting BP gas stations and corporate offices on fire.

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Such is the catastrophe from an environmental stand point its academic how much oil is being spilled each day . BP may want claim later on things could have been worse had they not done such and such by using false figures. The focus now needs to be on stopping the flow of oil and the clean up . Leave other questions until the immediate problems are fixed .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Z.S.P.V.G.

This explains why our shill president has done nothing, not lifted a finger, to allocate emergency resources to ameliorate a national coastline disaster...but he has gone stumping to boost the big pharma lobby. He wants to outlaw a herb.

This will make Bush's schoolroom paralysis look like executive action.

Way to go, Kenyan!

[edit on 14-5-2010 by davidmann]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I am no expert by any means, but bombing the thing does not seem like the answer to me. It makes sense that a bomb would possible make an even larger hole, not fusing it shut. And as far as boycotting everything BP, there are many families who depend on their jobs with that company, including store level employees who would suffer from that, it wouldn't hurt the people you are aiming to hurt, they are too rich and powerful. It wouldn't serve any purpose except putting people out of work who desperately need their jobs.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

I looked on my Google news page this morning, and it's not even in top stories.

Either the Fluoride and Chemtrails are working, or the story is being intentionally buried.

NPR reported late Thursday that scientific analysis of a video of the leak, released Wednesday by BP, put the rate closer to 70,000 barrels a day, making the resulting spill already far worse than the 1989 Exxon Valdez incident in Alaska

[edit on 14-5-2010 by 911stinks]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
look at the video. its volume is at least 1/2 high density natural gas (methane)
if you calculate the volume of that gas, expanded to atmospheric pressure, it = 30,000 / 14.5 = 2068
that means one cubic foot of gas will be A MINIMUM of 2068 cu ft

and most is still stuck in frozen slurry on the bottom, and has not come out yet

my opinion is that a hurricane, coming from the ocean with no gas, would slowly suck the gas up until saturation point is acheived. Imaging the low pressure in the center of a hurricane, it would potentially cause more "out gasing"of the methane. the decrease in air temp from the evaporization could then decrease the pressure in the eye even more, causing more evaporization aka self sustaining feedback...not good...not cool to see...and not going out until it hits land...oh flippin boy!

dr

ps
you think katrina was bad, how about an "inferno-cane"?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by bakadesu
reply to post by Just Wondering

Hey, Just Wondering, is this a comment to say you were wrong with your "Relax" post?

is this bad enough for you yet? or should we still Relax. ?
lol at that relax guy

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I am 400 m above sea level and I wish to know how to prepare for Oil Spattering at THIS ALTITUDE.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by dr dodge
look at the video. its volume is at least 1/2 high density natural gas (methane)
if you calculate the volume of that gas, expanded to atmospheric pressure, it = 30,000 / 14.5 = 2068

and most is still stuck in frozen slurry on the bottom, and has not come out yet

my opinion is that a hurricane, coming from the ocean with no gas, would slowly suck the gas up until saturation point is acheived. Imaging the low pressure in the center of a hurricane, it would potentially cause more "out gasing"of the methane. the decrease in air temp from the evaporization could then decrease the pressure in the eye even more, causing more evaporization aka self sustaining feedback...not good...not cool to see...and not going out until it hits land...oh flippin boy!

dr

ps

We are definately on the same page here. One looks at the video of the single pipe gusher and it is plain that much of the output is gas.
However surface photos do not reflect the enormous volume the leak would become on it's way to the surface. In fact there is minimal surface gas at the well site.
This suggests a much of the gas is forming a clathrate hydrate as it cools under the huge pressure.
This is a time bomb as the methane hydrate which is likely forming a density partition in deep water at this point will continue to collect until it drifts into warmer water then an astronomical amount of natural gas will come out of the hydrate and bubble to the surface.
This type of event has caused extinction on this planet in the past.
That TPTB are not evacuating the coastal areas is telling as the facts above are well known to the petroleum geologists involved and I am sure the rover vehicles pass through a cloudy layer of methane on their way down to the hole, pictures you will never see.
IMO it is well known the real danger lies in the trapped gas in cold deep water that will eventually be released but the widespread panic such a revelation would cause prevents it's mention. Again just such a methane release caused a mass extinction on this planet once already. That just is NOT news the MSM can distribute.
N.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by N.of norml

Originally posted by dr dodge

dr

ps

We are definately on the same page here. One looks at the video of the single pipe gusher and it is plain that much of the output is gas.
However surface photos do not reflect the enormous volume the leak would become on it's way to the surface. In fact there is minimal surface gas at the well site.
This suggests a much of the gas is forming a clathrate hydrate as it cools under the huge pressure.
This is a time bomb as the methane hydrate which is likely forming a density partition in deep water at this point will continue to collect until it drifts into warmer water then an astronomical amount of natural gas will come out of the hydrate and bubble to the surface.
This type of event has caused extinction on this planet in the past.
That TPTB are not evacuating the coastal areas is telling as the facts above are well known to the petroleum geologists involved and I am sure the rover vehicles pass through a cloudy layer of methane on their way down to the hole, pictures you will never see.
IMO it is well known the real danger lies in the trapped gas in cold deep water that will eventually be released but the widespread panic such a revelation would cause prevents it's mention. Again just such a methane release caused a mass extinction on this planet once already. That just is NOT news the MSM can distribute.
N.

We go out with a hiss and whimper....

Great post (well not 'great' in that I like it, great for us who need to 'know'). If this is the case, then this was a planned attack on humanity (executed on 4.20) and we are going all the way.

***edit to say i think your post should be its own thread***

[edit on 14-5-2010 by Z.S.P.V.G.]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
S+F... Lets get the numbers right ATS!~

Lets NOT relax... This should not be played down!~

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
They need to drop a 10 ton chunck of iron shaped like an arrowhead into/onto the top of this and cap it off. I've been saying this since day one. It is a very simple but very effective idea.
Maybe now the US gov will get involved and cap it off. I can only hope.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I think this spill in the Gulf, should be a concern for every Human being who is dependent on a ecosystem for survival..

Nuff said..

It was a accident that is fine, BP takes responsibility which is leaps and bounds for a corporation in 2010, but the truth needs to be told. This could really be bad.. Or should I say is very bad for life itself..

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

10 ton is not even vaguly close, that is the real probled
30,000 psi is significant!!!

300 tons on a 5 inch pipe would stop it (barely) not counting bouyance corrections

I agree that a spike could be used, but yesterday it was reported that the riser is actually a 21 inch pipe so "off the cuff" calculations yield 1260 ton arrowhead to balance the pressure

dr

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Oh my. I wasn't so worried about the oil, but this methane release freaks the $4it out of me.
I'm off to see if I can find any sources that gives an estimate for the amount of methane release in previous mass extinctions.

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
So much for our experts and their estimates. How do you estimate something that might happen within an event that has never happened before? DUH

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This is a hoax story put out by BP. Even the video provided with the story is intended to create massive resistance to any off-shore drilling.

The video shows natural gas gushing out. If even a fraction of that amount of oil were leaking out, the entire gulf would be covered in a slick. That is not the case.

Take a drop gas or heating oil and drop it in a bucket. It instantly cover the surface.

This is NOT like the Valdez. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join