It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Spill More Than 10X Greater Than Thought: Experts

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I have already seen live counters on line.

I forget where though as I been to many sites about this. It might be one of the oil sites.

Originally posted by Morpheas
I just calculated that if the oil leak is 50,000 bpd and it has been 26 days then..

About 1,300,000 barrels have leaked or about 54,600,000 gallons!

If this isn't stopped soon, I'll make a live counter, or if someone else wants to make one now here is what you'll need..

Started on April 20th at 9:53pm Central
@50,000 bpd - .5787 bar/sec or 24.306 gal/sec
50,000 bar = 2,100,000 gal
86,400 sec/day

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by N.of norml
Granted we are witnessing a unprecedented event...

It isn't unprecidented...

Ixtoc I

This has happened before, in the Gulf of Mexico, and it went on unabated for NINE MONTHS. Somehow life managed to continue. It wasn't oilpocalypse. YOu doomsayers might consider citing historical events of extinction (or the other ideas of sinking ships and collapsing seafloors) caused by the same conditions from the past, to not sound so irrational in these predictions. Problem is, apparently such historical parallels don't exist otherwise you'd be citing them already.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
According to wikipedia Ixtoc I after 9 months in total was only twice where we already are with Deepwater in a few weeks. So yes, unprecedented and if it goes on for nine months it will eclipse Ixtoc and every other spill in history.
I am getting a feel for the Officer Barbrady's around here going from thread to thread saying "move along nothing to see here" and am finding their arguments weaker and more just trollish. If your going to offer Ixtoc as an example of "precedent" at least place the time frame in context.
What should not be even contested is this will put more oil and gas into the environment, while we fumble with ways of plugging it up, than any other event in human history.
N.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I find this interesting...

disney.go.com...

Disney released OCEANS on April 22... the OIL RIG collapsed on April 18th. I think you know the rabbit trail I'm thinking of.

Is it possible... that this movie heightened sensitivities to our OCEANS making it a bigger mess that it is? Or is there some kind of connection here...

www.united-promotions.com...
NOW I KNOW THIS IS FROM 2008...

Maybe someone with more time can explore this possibility.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Here is link to venezuelan oil rig crash which has not received the attention

www.vheadline.com...

Seems earth changes are happening and we do not realize it

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by N.of norml

First of all, the OP is citing NPR, who is citing "SkyTruth" (Sky who???) and their worst case scenario estimates. WCS estimates are fine, as long as they're not spewed as absolute facts. What estimate should be spewed as hard edged FACT???

Second, yes it is precidented, regardless of how you want to spin it. Since you're going to poo-poo Ixtoc I, try the Gulf War Oil Spill of 1991: the largest oil spill in history with upwards estimates reaching 10 million barrels.

Now this part is very important:

According to a study sponsored by UNESCO, Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and the United States, the spill did little long-term damage. About half the oil evaporated, a million barrels were recovered and 2 million to 3 million barrels washed ashore, mainly in Saudi Arabia.[2]
en.wikipedia.org...

The PG is way more landlocked, and less than half the size of the Gulf of Mexico.

The current mess is a big deal, but lets keep it real people.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
They got the siphoning working so far.

news.bbc.co.uk...

They said it would be a week or so to cap it. they better have some big tankers there to switch over before cane season.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Well, it looks like pretty much all of this oil related doomongering has been debunked:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Dude you are so full of crap.

You post a link saying this entire event has been debunked to a thread that you yourself authored.

All of which has shown completely that you do not know what the hell you are talking about.

The facts as we have them so far (because BP is making damn sure no one gets into the area to do third party assessments) are as follows.

When BP finally released video of the leak, scientists from Universities in Florida and Purdue calculated the spill to be upwards of 70,000 barrels a day compared to the 5,000 BP was claiming.

Satellite imagery of the ocean and its data is useless when the vast majority of the oil has been found to be still in deep water in large plume's.

Scientist today have found evidence of the oil already in the currents that feed in the Florida Keys which will eventually make its way into my very back yard here on the Treasure Coast.

So please take you disinformation junk and cram it.

[edit on 17-5-2010 by AllexxisF1]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I am trying to keep up with all the facts out there (scientific ones) regarding ecosystems, methane gas etc......Just out of curiosity, what is the worst case senario this could have for our planet?

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Ignoraneisntbliss is probably trolling out of Southern Command in Tampa, so take everything they say as potential disinfo. Check this out...

[img]http://[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b22f992cf56d.jpg[/img]

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Z.S.P.V.G.

Thanks for the highlighted graphic.

Please see SeekingAlpha's breaking news thread for info. on how the leaking is STILL LEAKING AS BAD AS EVER.
ATS link

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
"The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said it was closing nearly 46,000 square miles, or about 19 percent of federal waters, beginning at 6 p.m.
That's up from the 7 percent of the Gulf that's been closed to fishing boats since shortly after an offshore oil rig exploded April 20, killing 11 workers. Rig operator BP PLC estimates that the blown-out well has leaked more than 5 million gallons."

Tragically funny sentence of the day: "Rig operator BP PLC estimates that the blown-out well has leaked more than 5 million gallons."

They "estimate."

Ignorancebliss must be getting orders from the same place this article was written.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Well hopefully someone see's this I just came across an article on Kevin Costner and what he's been inventing with his scientist brother to help fight oil spills, this is AMAZING.

here is the article

industry.bnet.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join