It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amateur Video Of Gulf Oil Slick - Worse Than BP Admits

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by demonseed

On a side note, why is the oil red/yellow?
Is that really what crude oil looks like?

[edit on 11-5-2010 by demonseed]

I wondered too, the lighter colors are IMO the result of dispersant... detergents... and/or caustic industrial byproducts that needed a place to dispose of them.. that ALSO dissolve crude oil..or congeal it.. causing it to drop to the ocean floor like alum is used in water treatment plants to get rid of particulates.. make em sink.

One report claims one of these things being s
prayed (by the USNavy?) is a NEUROTOXIN - The thing is crude oil contains some nasty higher distillates. It is not an accident that roach spray smells like "volatile hydrocarbons" ...

What I dont get is if crude is worth 75 $ a barrel,, why there isn't an 'oil rush' in the gulf... with folks out there running skimmers and centrifugal oil separators. and then selling that oil for cash.

--------------

And the containment vessel failed because it filled up with rock-hard methane hydrate crystals. blocking the pipe..... the solid form of methane hydrate is very hard, it looks like a diamond but it contains a trapped CH3 molecule..., that it lets go of 'explosively...when it depressurizes..

If the blow out preventer was rated for 15,000 psi, the heavy drill mud they were using (on 5000 feet of pipe) says they knew they were working close to red line.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by seataka]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
There are no words for me to describe the amount of anger that I am feeling over this oil leak. The Florida Panhandle's beaches are some of my favorite beaches in this country, and now the beautiful white sand beaches are now just a minor part of the devastation that is occurring in the gulf as we speak. Why is this happening? Human #ing negligence, and typical evil, money driven greed. I have been trying to keep as calm as possible about this but after seeing this video it pretty much confirms my worst fears. I really don't think they know how to stop this damn leak. The dome failed as most of us here on ATS knew it would. Now what? Plus, it's still damn obvious that the media as well as most of citizens of this country still haven't realized how bad it really is. After watching this video no one in their right mind can say that this is not catastrophic. It's like a nightmare

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
By: DimensionalDetective, 2 minutes ago

"Senators are set to take a last run at producing a climate and energy law tomorrow, betting on the spectre of environmental disaster raised by the BP oil spill to build support for a comprehensive overhaul of America's energy strategy.... more"

Here it is folks! Someone just posted The Real Reason the so-called
accident occured. Read new thread above.....

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
In another thread I said that it is clearer and clearer to me that they are not trying to save the oil and NOT the ocean...It's all about the $$$$

The govt was slow to respond and it does not seem they are intervening much at all...

Now they want tp fill the hole with crap..golf balls and tires...which will further polute..geeze!

I would like to know how much money the political folks have gotten/continue to get from big oil.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Hopi Prophecies coming true?

This video just reminded me of the Hopi's prophecies so I started a thread.

The Seventh Sign.

"This is the Seventh Sign: You will hear of the sea turning black, and many living things dying because of it."

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Realtruth]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by seataka
And the containment vessel failed because it filled up with rock-hard methane hydrate crystals. blocking the pipe..... the sold form of methane hydrate is very hard, it looks like a diamond but it contains a trapped CH3 molecule..., that it lets go of 'explosively...when it depressurizes..

If the blow out preventer was rated for 15,000 psi, the heavy drill mud they were using (on 5000 feet of pipe) says they knew they were working close to red line.

Ahhh... Methane Hydrate, not enough has been said about this, in fact the media has been avoiding expanding on this. What if the last option was the Nuke Option, what if the Nuke set off a massive explosion in a huge pocket of Methane instead of sealing off the leak??? Other things to be considered besides a huge pocket of Methane would be Techtonic Plate Movement, Earthquakes, Tsunami's and CME's.

Another question I have is why did Obama send SWAT Teams to this spill?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
( WARNING for the Narrow Minded!, Religious Fundamentalist ADULT LANGUAGE) in this video!

Some child god just opened the Pandora's Box Again the Parent god needs to lock it again and hide the key...,

George Carlin said it alll!

this Planet will just shake us off like a bad case of Fleas!

as the Earth is a self correcting system!
The Earth + plastic ! ( Petroleum )

The earth will be fine but maybe not US Greed Greed thanks to the Men behind the Curtain. we need to start praying to Auntie EM! er... Aliens ,Angels to help us out! .. The Earth is doing crazy SH+T in the last 2 years

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
This makes me incredibly sad, personally.

I do respect the views of those who do not view this proportionally as a tragedy, however I do not personally share that view.

The dispersant, as far as I understand, only affects the oil that has reached the surface. We're talking about an underwater well which is leaking continuously at the moment. Much of the damage being done is not visible on the surface if I understand correctly. Even if there weren't the slightest drop of crude washing up on beaches or visible on the surface, oil would still be leaking into the sea.

I also agree with other posters who point out that the magnitude of this spill is not as great as others have been in the past (so far,) but I must respectfully disagree that this lessens the degree of tragedy or the failure of human beings - once again - to protect the environment adequately.

Even if one were to believe that this is some sort of effort to kickstart a globalist/elite/etc. (I'm not clear on the specific of that hypothesis) to sell us a new environmental agenda or an agenda to sell us new fuel sources, etc. etc. etc. none of that changes the fact that this still constitutes pollution by human beings of their environment, and damage to said environment.

One doesn't have to believe that this is a portent of the end of the world, or will kill millions of sea creatures (although that it will have some impact is without question in my opinion,) in order to view this as an incredibly saddening ecological tragedy.

I even agree with the above posted George Carlin's statements. The Earth will still be here long after we're gone, should our species perish from the universe. It will balance itself out somehow, in the sense that some life will persist in whatever new ecosystem emerges in our wake. But shouldn't we try to limit the amount of damage we're doing to the present, existing ecosystem, irrespective of Earth's durability as a harbor of life?

Just my two cents.

[edit on 5/11/2010 by AceWombat04]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Re yellow colors:

There is also considerable dissolved SULFER... which I bet also acts strange at intense pressures... like methane hydrates... is non-toxic 'GRAS'
UNTIL you burn it.. and it makes sulfurous acid..
and smells, literally, like hell. Sulfer is "Brimstone"

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
i dont respect the views of anyone who doesnt view this as an epic tragedy and catastrophe.

that Washington is using this as political currency is reprehensible. Obama could have been haunting every step of BP the whole time....instead he's been flying around the country giving graduation speeches.

this didnt need to be a biblical event.....we are creating our own poisonous harvest and it has nothing to do with God deciding we need to be punished. If anything God will have to save us from ourselves because we are so F(&$(&$ing stupid we cant get our sh*T together.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
CNN is saying BP is hiding underwater footage and won't give them any.kinda weird
www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boomer1941

Originally posted by seataka
And the containment vessel failed because it filled up with rock-hard methane hydrate crystals. blocking the pipe..... the sold form of methane hydrate is very hard, it looks like a diamond but it contains a trapped CH3 molecule..., that it lets go of 'explosively...when it depressurizes..

Ahhh... Methane Hydrate, not enough has been said about this, in fact the media has been avoiding expanding on this. What if the last option was the Nuke Option, what if the Nuke set off a massive explosion in a huge pocket of Methane instead of sealing off the leak??? Other things to be considered besides a huge pocket of Methane would be Techtonic Plate Movement, Earthquakes, Tsunami's and CME's.

Another question I have is why did Obama send SWAT Teams to this spill?

>> Not sure if this happened -- but if you are talking about a possible explosion with "methane hydrate" it might be because SWAT teams have experience with explosives. The other reason might be that there is some criminal malfeasance suspected.

Some of the conspiracies people are pushing forth are silly because we ALREADY have the huge conspiracy that Big Oil sets their own policies. Government is NOT getting in their way because government doesn't run things -- companies do. If the military were trying to seal this thing, every corporate spokesperson on TV and Radio would blame any problems on Obama.

If there were any conspiracy, it would be that two rigs being handled by Haliburton have blown up now, and Dick Cheney shows up in Saudi Arabia. He might have just claimed to have ruined the biggest oil well just so he could see how happy this made his friends... but likely, it's just incompetence and greed, not worrying about spending money because the people working on the drilling platform cost less to replace than the platform. Haliburton has screwed up so many projects -- it's probably only their kickbacks that keep this company in business at all -- it certainly can't be a track record of competence.

At the end of the day, there is more said than done. This oil gusher is an extreme international threat and it doesn't look like our country CAN respond to real emergencies that conflict with profit. We look doomed and incompetent and nobody in Washington seems to be waking up. Dumping garbage on this thing will fail like the cup idea -- and they NEED to pull out all the stops.

I agree that a Nuke might be needed to close it, but it could also set off a bigger problem than it fixes -- I could imagine the entire gulf basin erupting. And that would cause perhaps a quick shift in plates. Not that it would be a Global catastrophe -- but it MIGHT be what sets off the Yellowstone Caldera -- which is maybe a few thousand years from going off -- but I don't want to have it happen until we've got a bit more technology to deal with it.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NLDelta9
CNN is saying BP is hiding underwater footage and won't give them any.kinda weird
www.youtube.com...

I get the following message: This video is not available.
Here's a working link: BP Hiding Underwater Video

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Sure looks a lot like blood in the more concentrated areas...

Interesting...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

This is so sad, I was looking at the video posted when my 4 year nephew stopped to watched. He asked what I was I watching and I told him that grown ups spilled oil from our cars into the ocean.
He then said "Paradise is broken!"

Humans have no respect for nature anymore and we are
ruining the planet for our youth.

[edit on 11-5-2010 by Teeky]

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Thank you Dick Cheney and George W.

Spread "Freedom" in the oil region
Spread oil on the "Land of the Free"

Is it okay to put these guys in jail now?

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I read 4 pages, feeling sick, and then tears formed in my eyes... What have these people done!? I don't often use the word "hopeless" either, but it fits here. It's so sad. And what's worse is the people at BP are going to walk away unscathed and will continue to drill as long as there's a drop of oil to be found.

Drill, Baby, Drill...

Hopeless.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Tragedy aside are all those who are so quick to comment, and perhaps in some cases hypocritical, willing to make huge personal sacrifices and lifestyle changes to deter the use of oil ? I know I'm not. I can't walk to work and I sure as hell can't flap my arms to get from North America to Europe. I'm all for alternative solutions but hardly any seem viable or marketable or are too expensive to implement. Life will continue on.

brill

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I wonder if this was a terrorist attack. Maybe Russia, N. Korea, Venezuela? I can think of plenty of reasons they would do it, especially considering just a month before this, Obama opened up the coastal waters to oil drilling. Something the dems denied Bush the summer gas was nearly $5 a gallon.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Oh, the horror!
At half a minute and beyond, I felt myself gag at the sheer volume.
That's just gross.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join