It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Oil Spill!..Have You Thought About This!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Just a quick thought I wanted to get out there that I been thinking about on the major Gulf oil spill.

If they do not get this leak fixed and the oil continues to oil up the waters in the gulf, than that means the waters become a lot more black. Well as we know black absorbs heat, the water in the Gulf could rise by 10 to 20 degrees easily. Can you imagine what that could do to the hurricanes about to start developing. Instead of a cat 5, we could be looking at hurricanes off the charts.

I am no scientist, but it just seems to me that this oil spill is not really hitting Americans the way that it should. This could get more major than it already is, and could get deadly quickly. They tried the dome earlier and it FAILED. So now what?..

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I'm not an expert... but wouldn't the entire GULF have to be covered in oil for this black sea to heat up enough to magnify the intensity of a hurricane?

200,000 barrels a day... 2 years before they get a fix... yeah it could happen!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Why would warming cause hurricanes?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Hurricanes are mainly produced by "Water Vapour" rising from the Ocean, so maybe the Oil Slick could have the opposite effect, block the rising vapour and there may only be small Hurricanes?

[edit on 9-5-2010 by grantbeed]

link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

The warmer water wouldn't create a hurricane, If a hurricane came to that region the warmer waters would intensify it causing it to grow larger and much stronger.

link   
reply to post by Mr_skepticc

you know , i never thought about something like that, oil is black and black gets hotter. You can see the devistation on the satillite, it is a big area. The whole thing is warming up the water there. I wonder what would happen if another katrina happened or a large hurricane and pushed all that oil far inland. It would be a catastrophy. I don't see why these oil idiots didn't put a valve somewhere for such emergencies. Oh, that would cost to much money. I would have to sacrifice the new high rise buildings in quatar. It won't leak, it's the titanic. Well, its all heating up now. Someone should take a look at weather patterns on here to see if your right. I think your right and i also think that weather will be much worse now.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
The anatomy of a hurricane...

www.weatherquestions.com...

The warming would not produce a hurricane.. but would intensify an existing hurricane. Hurricanes coming from the Atlantic into the Gulf tend to lose speed when they hit the cooler waters of the gulf. But what the OP is asking... what will the OIL do to hurricanes... I guess we will see!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I am not saying it would produce a hurricane, I am saying exactly what you guys are. The waters are heating up from the darker color the oil produces; therefor, causing the hurricanes to become very large and powerful from the heated waters. I do believe this is happening by looking at satelites and the water charts. I live in Alabama, and I am watching this very closely.

I do believe that bp has some very smart people who work for them, and the goverment who have also thought about this same thing that I have thought about. I mean it is pretty simple idea, we learned about this in like 6th grade I think, so why would the same logic not apply here. The oil slick is growing, and we just got word that huge clumps of oil are coming ashore along our beaches.

I want have to wait around to see, I know the waters are heating up a lot warmer than usual.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by biblenet

i think it's possible. don't know if it's probable. depends on how long this leak goes on.

anybody got any idea how they are gonna fix it?

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

This is interesting

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dave157
reply to post by biblenet

i think it's possible. don't know if it's probable. depends on how long this leak goes on.

anybody got any idea how they are gonna fix it?

Sure, it's simple. Nuke the well head to seal the leak. The oil spill? M.O.A.B.

This is what needs to be done.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
it could have the opposite effect...

The oil ontop of the water could reflect the suns rays

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Maybe someone will email "the experts" and ask them how the spill might factor in the predicted hurricanes.

Hurricane Predictions 2010
The News-Press recently published a report on the 2010 hurricane predictions, that was released by the forecast team at Colorado State University. The Colorado State University team is led by pioneer forecaster William Gray, who has been forecasting hurricanes for 27 years. The team predicted that we would have an above-average 2010 hurricane season.

Overall, the CSU prediction called for 15 named storms, 8 hurricanes and 4 major hurricanes. This report is based on the Atlantic basin, which includes all tropical storms and hurricanes in the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico.

stormsmart.com...

More experts...

"With a lot of hurricane awareness heating up before the season, it certainly makes sense to put out an early report," said Dr. Gerry Bell, NOAA's lead Atlantic hurricane seasonal forecaster. "But in August, that's when you really have the best handle on it. With August outlooks, we were right within our predicted range nine out of 12 times."

Bell said NOAA forecasters don't look at the Colorado State team's early reports, and sometimes the two institutes differ widely in their predictions. But all meteorologists study more or less the same factors in predicting how active 2010's season will be.

www.tampabay.com...

I think we need to question some scientists and meteorologists.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by Alethea]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by chorizo4

No offense, but this is NOT a good idea. The effects of radiation on top of oil/ dispersant could instantaneously spell the end of the Gulf of Mexico for hundreds or even 1000s of years.

I don't know if it is still open, but the US Navy used to have a practice range (proper term?) in Vieques, Puerto Rico. They use(d) depleted uranium weapons in their war games. As of 2001, there were major cancer clusters and birth defects on that part of Puerto Rico and it practically destroyed the fishing industry there because much of what was being caught was literally unrecognizable as a species.
There are enough problems in the Gulf- with the dead zone caused by the chemicals in the Mississippi River. This has also caused major damage to the barrier islands & wetlands off the coast that are vital to protecting them from hurricanes.

Don't even think about it.

[edit on 9-5-2010 by DogsDogsDogs]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DogsDogsDogs

There is probably no harm in trying other approaches first. I guess. I have trouble seeing how the other approaches will work. Now they are using dispersants, which are just another chemical? substance.

Could this turn the gulf into a toxic soup? Don't know.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The only problem being although Black absorbs heat, the moisture content would be severely hampered by the Surface Oil, cutting off Convective Inhibition allowing surface storms to form and act as "feeders" into a Atlantic Hurricane system.
If the entire Gulf was covered in Oil (theoretically) it would choke the moisture content and lead to dry-air, which would be driven from the Mexican/Texican desert and left to hang over the Gulf as the moisture exits the jet out towards the UK and Europe.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr_skepticc

Mate, what I would be more worried about is a hurricane blowing all that oil towards the shore lines.
Image a storm surge of oil polluted sea water!

I doubt Geraldo would be covering that for FOX from a texas shoreline!
"The waters filthy too, by the way"

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
As others have already pointed out... although true that black absorbs heat, the oil itself would slow down the evaporative action of the water that feeds hurricanes. The effects of heat absorption toward the creation of hurricanes, therefore, should be negligible.

To that end, this leak is not black oil. Search for pictures of the spill. The color of the slicked water is orange-red, not black.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
by the time the Gulf became dark enough to cause changes in storm building...

the whole ecology system would be dead from all the oil,
the Gulf zone uninhabitable to sealife, shellfish, corals, birds, etc

once 'leadership' is convinced there is no resourceful remedy... then the nanobots of franken-biology will be created to devour the hydrocarbons destroying the Gulf.

perhaps this Geneticically engineered organism will be 'red' in color and we will be unleashing upon ourselves the 'Wormwood' plague that destroys 1/3 of all living things in the seas, oceans, rivers, lakes

that's our cheery thought for this Sunday !

[edit on 9-5-2010 by St Udio]

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr_skepticc
I am no scientist,
You got that right.
The sun breaks down the oil. The sun helps, don't fear the sun.

The warmer the water temperature and the more sun exposure, the faster the oil breaks down.

www.popularmechanics.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join