It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CONFIRMED! Oilgeddon Gushing 60,000 barrels a day!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
BP estimates worst-case spill of 60,000 barrels a day.

www.marketwatch.com...

BP officials told members of Congress in a closed-door meeting that the oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico could be spewing as much as 60,000 barrels of crude a day, well over an earlier estimate of 5,000 barrels a day, according to reports on Wednesday.

**NOTE** My other thread in BreakingNews was closed and added to the thread on the oceans dying. This new revelation is BIG NEWS for us who have been closely monitoring the event. This revelation needs its own thread and not be buried on the 10th page somewhere else. This is the data and truth we've been waiting for. Brace for impact...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I figured this was going to be the case. I think the world needs to stop what they are doing and figure this problem out now! They better have a back up plan if the dome does not contain the leak. I mean they need to have some other idea waiting the next moment they see the dome fail.

Who cares about BP's share prices. The UN needs to get money from all the world governments and get the brightest engineers and military to fix this problem. This is going to ruin the planet. Maybe they need to pretend in their minds that this is like a giant asteroid coming to hit earth. Then maybe all the governments might work together for a change. It doesn't feel good to know that it's going to be our generation that nailed the last nail in earth's coffin.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
60,000 barrels x 42 gallons per barrel = 2,520,000 gallons.

Olympic swimming pool = 660,000 gallons x 4 = 2,640,000 gallons

So this about the equivalent of 4 olympic size swimming pools a day.

Doesn't sound like that much to me.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno

You're right, it doesn't sound like that much......but when you consider that amount dispersed through a large body of water, the impact severity increases. Obviously, an Olympic swimming pool will contain the oil, whereas dumping that amount of oil into the ocean every day for weeks or more is allowing the oil to disperse and cover a larger area with the same destructive capability to aquatic life.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Maybe if we don't worry about the problem it will go away by itself. That's what all the financial institutions thought when the housing and credit markets came crashing down.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by lostinspace]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Multiply gallons of oil dumping per day by the number of days since the incident (16), and you get 40,320,000 gallons into the ocean since the disaster began.

To put that into perspective, there are 325,900 gallons of water in one "acre- foot," which is roughly enough liquid to cover a football field with liquid one foot deep.

40,320,000 is enough to bury a football field in 124 feet of liquid.

Sounds like a little more now, eh?

www.watereducation.org...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Right, it's actually not that bad.. It's not great, that's for sure.. but it's not the cataclysm some people seem to think it is. Nor will it effect oil prices..

Man, on a side note (about oil prices) people are really #ing dumb. They think drilling new wells in protected parts of America are going to save us from high oil prices; then they think one offshore rig collapsing is going to send oil prices SKY HIGH..

... I could actually rant even more about this, as there's a few other points to rant about (mostly how #ing dumb the public is), but I'll stop here, as this is all unrelated to the topic at hand.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Oh bother!

It seems like it would almost be better to set the oil on the surface on fire and deal with the pollution to the atmosphere than have that much oil spread around the Gulf of Mexico creating a gigantic ocean dead zone. Not to mention how hard it is to contain and clean the oil off all of our coast lines.

CNN has some good satellite images.
www.cnn.com...

It has already reached the coastline.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
40,320,000 is approximately the amount of water the Mississippi River at Thebes flows on average in 26 seconds. Basically, the oil spill is equivalent to the amount of water flowing down the Mississippi for 26 seconds. Sounds like quite a bit to me!
www.umesc.usgs.gov...

The flow from the Mississippi at Thebes is approximately 205000 cfs.

205000 cfs = 1,533,400 gallons per second

[edit on 5-5-2010 by treemanx]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
This kind of pressure should be over by now. A while back I remember watching a documentary on oil rig operations, where it explained how they pumped the oil out of pockets under the ocean. They said initially there would be high pressure coming from the pocket of oil and that it would eventually drop off. In order for them to get the rest of the oil out they needed to fill the pocket with sea water.

Why hasn't the pressure from the oil in the pocket equalized yet?

I believe it has something to do with the nature of the deep pockets. They are a new kind of beast that needs to be studied.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by lostinspace]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Well if this amount of oil is no big deal then I'm going to dump all my oil in the creek after a change oil in my cars. after all it's way less then BP's amount?

Just kidding.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

OK then, here's an idea... Line up four olympic pools lengthwise filled with oil and swim the entire length... How do you think you'll do?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Z.S.P.V.G.

CONFIRMED! Oilgeddon Gushing 60,000 barrels a day!

from the source
BP executives reportedly told members of Congress Tuesday in a closed-door meeting that in a worst-case scenario the well could spew as much as 60,000 barrels of crude a day into the sea, 12 times more than the current estimate of 5,000 barrels a day.

FMABP's Odone declined to comment on the 60,000-barrel figure cited in the New York Times and Washington Post, insisting the official estimate remains up to 5,000 barrels, or roughly 200,000 gallons, a day.

Is it really necessary for you to make things worse? You title is a flat out LIE

Worst-case scenario, not even supported by BP, DOES NOT MEAN that is what's happening now.

Edited to add:
Your thread title needs to be changed - right now it's inflammatory and could easily fall under the HOAX forum.

[edit on 5-5-2010 by Thermo Klein]

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Exxon Valdez which is considered to be an epic disaster b/c of the kind of oil it dumped (heavy crude), where (pristine prince williams sound), and the area affected was in the 9-10mil gallons range. Just a couple of olympic pools, right?

Crude oil is not water.

A few ounces of fuel at Chernobyl contaminated 400 sq miles.

With that kind of logic you should ingest a half a milliliter of cyanide and see what happens. or 500micrograms of '___'.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
For the record all references talking about the 'closed door meeting' and BP saying 'it's 60,000' have been scrubbed.... Now it's 'it could become 60,000' and 'told congress.'

Hell, ATS tried to bury 2 of my thread today on this. I mean this one is probably in the back of the bus by now.

Has anyone thought about the connection to this starting on 4:20?

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
A Mod needs to change the title to COULD BE spilling 60,000 a day. Emphasis on the word 'Could'. The article says that is a worst case scenario. It doesn't mean it IS.

[edit on 5/6/2010 by Pharyax]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Z.S.P.V.G.

I believe one of the mottos of ATS is "deny ignorance". I don't know if English is your first language or not but the article you posted does NOT say what you apparently think it says. My post a few up from here says it but basically they say that 5,000 barrels are spilling currently. A "worse case scenario" means that if eveything went BAD, and WORSE than it is now, THEN they ~could~ get to 60,000 barrels - but BP is actually denying that.

Your entire thread is a lie - I think that has more to do with the lack of response than the 4:20 thing...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by treemanx
Multiply gallons of oil dumping per day by the number of days since the incident (16), and you get 40,320,000 gallons into the ocean since the disaster began.

To put that into perspective, there are 325,900 gallons of water in one "acre- foot," which is roughly enough liquid to cover a football field with liquid one foot deep.

40,320,000 is enough to bury a football field in 124 feet of liquid.

Sounds like a little more now, eh?

www.watereducation.org...

NERD!!!!!!

lol, just joking.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Here's a perspective everyone can understand and figure out.

Worst case is estimated at 60,000 barrels a day, that's about 110 litre's a second. Picture that ok.

Currently its leaking at about 45 litre's a second, do the maths.

Now go take a look at your garden hose or kitchen sink and open the tap. At full speed its unlikely to come out at more than 25 litre's a minute.

Cheers.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I think one of the biggest problems is going to be in a month or two when the hurricane season hits and all that oil on top of the water ends up over the land.

If this thing is still leaking by then, there will be an enormous amount of oil in the water.

[edit on 6/5/10 by NuclearPaul]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join