It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds Largest Beaver dam seen from Space-longer than Hoover dam!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

BEAVERS have built the world's longest dam — and it is so big it can be seen from SPACE.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0d020ba1f054.jpg[/atsimg]

The incredible woodland construction is a staggering 2,790ft (850m) in length — more than half a mile long. It is twice the size of what was the world's largest dam — the Hoover dam in the US, which spans 1,244ft (380m).

The big-toothed furry critters use trees, mud and stone to make a type of moat where they can use their swimming skills to evade any predators. Families of beavers live in lodges on the dams and spend their days adding to and repairing the incredible structures. This one — located on the southern edge of Wood Buffalo National Park in Northern Alberta, Canada — was spotted by experts monitoring the size and spread of beaver dams in north America.

Source: www.thesun.co.uk...

Wow. Absolutely amazing. Busy little beavers. These things are hard to take out also (economically and enviromentally). Something to see. be sure to go to the source for the Sat image and more info.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/736d8e3a1533.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 5/4/2010 by anon72]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Yes these are pest here in Canada my father use to be a trapper and to get his territory he must capture is quota at least to keep it the next year.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Save a tree , eat a beaver

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

All one-liners and jokesters should leave a flag (and star).... errr..

I should have known..... lol

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Maybe the same techniques used by the beavers could be used to limit say...............? An oil spill?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Beavers perform a function that is necessary in the ecosystem, and we curtail it because we don't like it.

They aren't pests. We don't like them do what they are supposed to do. We do the opposite, by draining water from everywhere, and then wondering why its close to being a desert.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Thats a mighty fine beaver on that lady...

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
That lady is kissing a beaver!

Sorry, thats the last one I promise!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by bdb818888

All one-liners and jokesters should leave a flag (and star).... errr..

I should have known..... lol

You're the one who posts a picture of a woman with a huge beaver.

What did you expect?

All joking aside, this is nice news, it's good that there are still pieces of nature where nature is left alone.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
If that isn't incredible, I challenge anyone to show me what is.

Star and flag for this awesome post.

Learn something new everyday on ATS!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I love Beavers. Been around them most of my life. There are several beaver hang-outs near where I grew up. We spent a lot of time there trying to catch beavers in the act of putting these things together.

Never did. Only saw them floating around, diving under. When you came back the next day, whatever needed fixed and/or repaired, was done.

I think it is interesting how the younger ones swim upstream and make their own dams, thus cutting water off or slowing what is going down stream to the parents. Typical kids.

The one photo of this lady is holding a big beaver, that is the biggest one I have ever seen. Got to be from Canada.

From everything I have seen and heard, Canada has got some great beavers.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Did the beavers get a dam permit?

source: www.getipm.com...
______

STATE OF MICHIGAN

It has come to the attention of the Department of Environmental Quality that there has been recent unauthorized activity on the above referenced parcel of property. You have been certified as the legal landowner and/or contractor who did the following unauthorized activity: Construction and maintenance of two wood debris dams across the outlet stream of Spring Pond. A permit must be issued prior to the start of this type of activity. A review of the Department's files show that no permits have been issued. Failure to comply with this request, or any further unauthorized activity on the site, may result in this case being referred for elevated enforcement action.

Reply:

First of all, Mr. Ryan DeVries is not the legal landowner and/or contractor at 2088 Dagget, Pierson, Michigan - I am the legal owner and a couple of beavers are in the (State unauthorized) process of constructing and maintaining two wood dams across the outlet stream of my Spring Pond. While I did not pay for, nor authorize their dam project, I think they would be highly offended you call their skillful use of natural building materials "debris". I would like to challenge you to attempt to emulate their dam project any dam time and/or any dam place you choose. I believe I can safely state there is no dam way you could ever match their dam skills, their dam resourcefulness, their dam ingenuity, their dam persistence, their dam determination and/or their dam work ethic.

As to your dam request the beavers first must fill out a dam permit prior to the start of this type of dam activity, my first dam question to you is: are you trying to discriminate against my Spring Pond Beavers or do you require all dam beavers throughout this State to conform to said dam request? If you are not discriminating against these particular beavers, please send me completed copies of all those other applicable beaver dam permits. Perhaps we will see if there really is a dam violation of Part 301, Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural Resource and Environmental Protection Act, Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the Michigan Compiled Laws annotated. My first concern is - aren't the dam beavers entitled to dam legal representation? The Spring Pond Beavers are financially destitute and are unable to pay for said dam representation - so the State will have to provide them with a dam lawyer.

The Department's dam concern that either one or both of the dams failed during a recent rain event causing dam flooding is proof we should leave the dam Spring Pond Beavers alone rather than harassing them and calling their dam names. If you want the dam stream "restored" to a dam free-flow condition - contact the dam beavers - but if you are going to arrest them (they obviously did not pay any dam attention to your dam letter -- being unable to read English) - be sure you read them their dam Miranda first. As for me, I am not going to cause more dam flooding or dam debris jams by interfering with these dam builders. If you want to hurt these dam beavers - be aware I am sending a copy of your dam letter and this response to PETA. If your dam Department seriously finds all dams of this nature inherently hazardous and truly will not permit their existence in this dam State - I seriously hope you are not selectively enforcing this dam policy - or once again both I and the Spring Pond Beavers will scream prejudice!

In conclusion, I would like to bring to your attention a real environmental quality (health) problem; bears are actually defecating in our woods. I definitely believe you should be persecuting the defecating bears and leave the dam beavers alone. If you are going to investigate the beaver dam, watch your step! (The bears are not careful where they dump!)

CLASSIC!

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

So, you would then have to say that you wasted your wild youth chasing beaver?

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

Well, I guess some would call it a waste of time (always looking for Beaver and their homes) but I think over all, it was always a very pleasant experience when I found one or more-just hanging out.

Matter of fact, all that beaver looking when I was young kinda developed into a hobby most of my adult life. I looked all over PA for all kinds of beaver and dams.

I kind of have gotten away from looking anymore. My wife really isn't into the outdoors or beavers and/or dams. So..... Maybe I should start a club and start looking in this area I live in now. Probably get all kinds of people wanting to join up to go find the beavers and their dams. hmmm.

Well, this article shure sparked my interest again!

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Wow. That is one big dam. Those beavers must have labored long and hard lugging all that lumber from everywhere. What was said before is absolutely correct, they make great fur. Because of our unquenchable thirst for beaver pelts we may have destroyed many larger than this years ago. wood.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I read about this a few days ago, they seem to have banded with other beaver families to achieve that.

The article said that they did a great service to the local ecosystem with this dam, by providing shelter for other animals, also as keeping rivers from overflowing and such.

Amazing stuff actually, i hope they (humans) let this dam be

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamitrios
Amazing stuff actually, i hope they (humans) let this dam be

I've surveyed that country...muskeg and moose pasture. The only way in is by chopper, it's black spruce bog and unless there's tar sands beneath, nobody ought to stroll by any time soon.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpcrafter
reply to post by anon72

So, you would then have to say that you wasted your wild youth chasing beaver?
LMAO

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Wow, I live in Alberta and I didn't even know this was here! If it's in Northern Alberta, though, it's probably safe from human intervention for a long time. There is an awful lot of unpopulated area up there, and other than the oilsands, which admittedly is a big draw for humans, there is no reason for us to go up there and mess up their dam. Unless the dam is near the oilsands, it should be perfectly safe; if it is nearby, it is in deep trouble, because the oil companies treat the environment like crap.

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
This is sweet.

I have been telling you guys for years that we are cohabitating with intelligent creatures here on Earth. It's the pinnacle of arrogance for humanity to imagine itself as the be-all-end-all among the species in regard to intelligence. I think there are many intelligent entities who call Earth home.

Including UFOs.

Hell, let's let the beavers take a shot at fixing Global Warming. Seriously.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 5/10/2010 by Doc Velocity]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join