It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borley Rectory - The Most Haunted House in Britain

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Also what really does interest me about this story is how some completely disregard it (no one in this thread obviously) because of talk of a hoaxer but they completely forget activity was occurring long before and yes once this hoaxer moved in there did seem to be a spike in activity but we can obviously out that down to not being paranormal.

And as I've explained in previous posts this story could potentially stem right back hundreds of years to the killing of a nun, a nun which has allegedly been seen many many many times.

It really does amaze and annoy me how some completely refuse to believe anything because of one hoaxer who completely discredits the entire story even though they may have hoaxed after said activity had began.

But I have to admit it’s so frustrating that there is talk of a hoaxer in the first place for me personally as this is a great story and something that seems genuine in many occasions.

Hoaxers ruin everything.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Yes, I agree with you about hoaxers, they make it far more difficult to prove anything has a genuine paranormal explanation.

In the case of Borley rectory though, thanks to your extensive research, it can be seen that the paranormal activity was experienced long before the hoaxers took advantage and at least now, the period that the Foysters and Harry Price were involved can be mainly dismissed, allowing those interested in the case to focus on the less dubious aspects of the case and draw conclusions about what was actually going on.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by destination now

Yeah, Hoaxers (as you may have assumed.
) really do annoy the hell out of me and I see no reason for it what so ever and I guess it's something we really ought to just have to get used to but like alot of people I'm just looking for truth and that's especially in this subject.

So having someone trying to pull the wool over your eyes is very frustrating and annoying to say the least.

Well thank you for the compliment.

Even though I may complain about hoaxers I'm actually really glad you kept researching and posting about Marianne foyster as that showed me more reasoning for not trusting here and labelling here (rightly fully so) with the hoax tag.

It's no good blindly believing that this is a genuine case when it clearly isn't Some of the time so thanks for the enlightenment.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Amazing thread !!
Your research must have taken ages

I would love to visit this place, and will do one day for sure on one of my paranormal field trips.
Thanx again !!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Hi UkToday, Yes Rising Against put a lot of effort into bringing all of the information about Borley together, it is a fascinating case that I have been interested in for many years, hence my interruption of the thread with my findings about Marianne Foyster, which as I had not looked as deeply into the case as the OP and had, a few years ago, stumbled across the aforementioned material, leading me to believe (sadly) that the whole case was a hoax. However, now that I have with all of the other evidence available, I do truly believe that there was (and maybe still is) paranormal activity in the area.

Having experienced paranormal activity myself and having no way to prove it, I am keen to find documented, unchallenged accounts that can prove the existence of entities that we cannot explain, and as such, I feel it is important to remove the dubious and downright dishonest claims in order to understand what is really happening when people experience these phenomena.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Thanks Guys.

Actually I wish I could applaud you destination now as you taught me a thing or two about this case as well so Thank You!! Looking back though I guess I should have realized that something was not all as it seemed as the activity massively increased upon her arrival, as well as very very odd phenomenon such as writing on the walls etc. her being allegedly thrown from her bed, All of which was completely new phenomenon that had only occurred to her in the house shortly after her arrival!

I guess we're just going to have to go to Borely Rectory in person and try and find some of our own paranormal activity instead of reading about It.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Thanks Rising Against - though credit has ultimately to go to you for bringing the topic to the board in the first instance, along with providing the vast amount of information about the case (and it was good to be able to question some of the material being presented without being wholly misunderstood and called a troll!)

It would be wonderful to be able to go to the area and investigate it. Although the rectory that was accredited with the majority of paranormal activity no longer exists, that is not an issue, as it seems that much of that activity centered within that building was indeed faked, and it was historically the surrounding area that was said to be haunted by the nun and seemingly there are many witnesses to that, and as such, that would be of most interest!

I'd love to be able to check the area out, it would be fascinating! I'm up in Scotland though, is there anyone nearby who can check the area out? Though I am sure that I have read that the owners of the redeveloped grounds are not keen for any paranormal associations?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

(and it was good to be able to question some of the material being presented without being wholly misunderstood and called a troll!)

That's because I'm looking for the same thing everyone else here is....Truth (no matter how elusive it can be)

Yes, but most of the activity seemed to have moved quite literally across the street to the nearest location……The church, many sightings of ghostly apparitions and paranormal phenomenon has been reported there in modern times.

And as far as I know the nun has still been seen in modern times also so it certainly does seem like a place worthy of further investigation still.

Btw right now I’m in Doncaster and without transport but I really do plan on checking this place out at some point in the future but it wouldn't be anytime soon annoyingly.

But I am determined to check it out still!!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

It's a shame that it's in Essex, I'm heading down to the midlands 2nd week of june for a music festival had it been in the area I would just have added a couple of days on and checked it out!

(if I had been going to soni rather thatndownload it would have been easier

[edit on 28-5-2010 by destination now]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Oops, I forgot to reply back to this.

Well say you take a few days off work anyway and just stay down there and check it out for us.

You can be the one that finds (the much needed) evidence for us at ATS. lol

Either way though I'm definitely going to this place at some point, Plus I promised UK today I'd take here so I haven’t got a choice it seems.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

It'll probably be UK Today taking you to the rectory

Have you got something to film it all on when we go btw ?? Cos my phone is rubbish !!
Think we'll be looking at the autumn for this possibly, when the nights get darker.....

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by uk today

Hey i thought we both agreed that I'm taking your little paranormal team to the top and I'm in charge.

Remember the Contract signing??
.....So Yes I shall be taking Uk today.....Not Vice Versa.
lol

And Yes i shall be taking an EMF Detector, Headsetand with walkie talkies, Hydrometer, Infrared Thermal Scanner, Night vision goggles and night vision camera, Notebook, Red Cellophane, Talcum Powder, Tape Recorder, Thermal Imaging Scopes, Thermometer, A 35mm camera with black and white film and/or infrared film which is very useful for capturing any pictures, I will use a film speed of no less than 200. A speed of 800 may produce better results although it will be very grainy, plenty of film and of course a tripod.

LOL JK I'm gonna take a flashlight and maybe a camera phone as well.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Hope we can fit it all in the car

Well, you sound very organised as per usual, so I'll leave all the complex equipment to you yeah ??
Don't worry either, if you show me how to operate it all, I'll continue the investigation after you've run away !!

Oh, I'll bring my crank up torch and night vision goggles

[edit on 1-6-2010 by uk today]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
When I was reading I saw the picture of the Woman communicating with the spirit(Writing on paper) Did anyone manage to make out what the spirit was trying to say? Or was it too garbled up?

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainObvious321

Sorry for the confusement here but are you talking about Marianne Foyster??

As in the spirit who was trying to communicate with her (Marianne) because if that's the case you should know that Marianne is really not a credible person in all of this, she is a hoaxer and what she said should not be seen as anything other than lies I'm afraid.

If not then please do clarify.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by uk today

Haha, we’ll make it fit!!

…..You've just gotta believe.

Hmm Well from what you've told me in the past it's not so much a question of running away but err leaving Via being abducted.

Don't worry though I'LL operate all the equipment when you've been abducted and or 'run away' Hmmkaayy

And No! Nooo! Nooooooooooo!! Not the crank up torch Nooooooooooooooo.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Hey great post!

I too loved this story as a child, unfortunately I also came to believe it was a hoax! But lots of information here which ultimately suggests otherwise! Great!

There was a great ghost book I had as a kid, would love to find it again, had a whole section called 'Borley- the most haunted village in England!', it was this story which made me fall in love with the paranormal!

Anyone know precisely what stands (if anything?) on the grounds today??

I would love to visit this location, I actually do have lots of kit, so if you guys really are planning on visiting one day in the future, I would love to come along!

Robb

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
reply to post by CaptainObvious321

Sorry for the confusement here but are you talking about Marianne Foyster??

As in the spirit who was trying to communicate with her (Marianne) because if that's the case you should know that Marianne is really not a credible person in all of this, she is a hoaxer and what she said should not be seen as anything other than lies I'm afraid.

If not then please do clarify.

Yes I was on about Marianne. I just felt like knowing if the mumbled writing was ever deciphered. Ok thanks

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by vagabondrobb

Hey there !

We'd love to have you along, we don't have any definate date on when we're going cos its quite a way away from where we live in Yorkshire, but I'm sure RA will contact you when something is finalised, which hopefully should be later in the year....

and Oh yeah, bring all the gear baby cos ours is a little primitive

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
That's awesome that you guys are actually going to go and if someone has good equipment that would be great, because you know what will happen if you capture something on a camera phone, the doubters will accuse you of using an app!

I think it's a good idea to actually go to the locations that have recorded paranormal activity and try to get some actual proof ourselves, so that we can attempt to further the knowledge first hand rather than just accepting (or not) other people's accounts. And of course if we do that, we can ensure that what is being recorded is done so in such a way, with as much verification as possible to remove the standard cries of "photshop" etc (though obviously some people will never accept the possibility unless they see it with their own eyes
) So I will have to see what accounts are based in my area and make an effort to go and investigate myself!

Having experienced paranormal activity myself, and now with hindsight wishing I'd had the equipment to record it, I would love some well researched, well documented and evidenced accounts to really back up my beliefs, rather than the hearsay, debunkable, anecdotal stories that are often presented, and that are often not even paranormal in nature. I think it is a shame that the paranormal forum here is often misrepresented in this way, with threads that contain no real evidence whatsoever, which can mean that posters who are genuinely trying to present a case are often overlooked, and pushed off the front page, with very little discussion as they lack the "sensationalist" approach of others!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join