It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Sniper Kills Taliban 1.5 Miles Away

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by crimson tears shini

Originally posted by markygee
Thats nothing! I killed somebody with a potato gun and don't talk to me about distance I actually fired into the past, with my eyes closed...on one leg...er from the moon.
Beat that then!

i shot a fire extinguisher with a air rifle and it exploded in a mountain of foam blowing out all the windows in the dissuaded abandoned asbestos garage 0_0 hows that?

hmmm...show off.

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Could it be some kind of modified 50 cal?

posted on May, 10 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Luke Idea

what be?

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Luke Idea

No.

.338 Lapua Magnum

L115A3 Long Range Rifle

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Oh, just thought I'd throw this fella into the mixer.

Five targets in 28 seconds from over 1600m. 37 dead Terrys in a four month tour.

When I was on HERRICK 4 in 2006 one of the snipers from 3 Para got 39 confirmed with a L96.

It has to be said, Brit snipers are really doing the business at the minute.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by PaddyInf]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
What's this used for?

Oh wait... these are weapons used by murders.

My bad.

Whats the point of glorifying this 'achievement'?

Ha Imagine if everyone and every tool used to ensure your freedom suddenly vanished. You would have the enemy at your door and I can damn sure bet you would be crying for the weapons and soldiers then. But luckily for you, you can sit in your desk chair and not think about all of the sacrifices you will never make for your fellow man.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BingeBob

Originally posted by serbsta
What's this used for?

Oh wait... these are weapons used by murders.

My bad.

Whats the point of glorifying this 'achievement'?

No, its a tool used by an operator to achieve a goal. Motives for such goals can be argued but the effectiveness of the operator and the tool are truely amazing...

P.S. go hug a tree...

Hehe,
this would be an impressive shot for a Barett 50 cal...frankly I've never heard of a 7.62 acheiving this...

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
The problem with these propaganda stories is that the facts are sometime limited in content. As someone who has fired this rifle, I am aware of it's limitations over those of the operator. Any round that is fired from any rifle will form what is known as a beating zone beyond its effective range. A beating zone can be explained in the manner of: A weapon fired in perfect conditions will, say, be shot a 300m. A large number of rounds are fired at a target and then examined. Even in those perfect conditions, there will be be strike marks covering a certain diameter on the target outside the pinpoint aiming point. The diameter increases as the range is increased, and if I remember right the .338 (or L115A1 rifle in British military parlance) using a .338 Lapua Magnum round had a diameter of 2m beyond 1200 meters, whereby the rifle becomes an offensive 'harassing' weapon as a opposed to an accurate weapon.

I may not be spot on with the figures as it is a number of years since I carried out any sniping tasks but the point is to demonstrate that you can not always believe what is writen in the UK press. I would also like to point out that I do not decry the efforts of this soldier but these 'good news' stories are merely used to boost the flagging moral of the UK population and the MoD in a 'war' that has fewer and fewer supporters.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extreme Pilgrim
As someone who has fired this rifle, I am aware of it's limitations over those of the operator. Any round that is fired from any rifle will form what is known as a beating zone...

... if I remember right the .338 (or L115A1 rifle in British military parlance) using a .338 Lapua Magnum round had a diameter of 2m beyond 1200 meters, whereby the rifle becomes an offensive 'harassing' weapon as a opposed to an accurate weapon.

The beaten (not beating) zone for the L115A3 is no where near 2m at 1200m! The weapon is capable of shooting at sub .75 MOA with service ammo: this means that it shoots groups of .75" at 100yrds. That's less than 20mm at 100m. Doing the maths the weapon is capable of shooting 24cm (sub 10") groups at 1200m. The effective range of the weapon is stated at 1500m, meaning that at this range the weapon can shoot at about 30cm at this range. This is the extreme spread of a 5 round group, with all rounds landing within a 30cm circle.

By the way, not wishing to be pedantic but the term 'beaten zone' is more used for machine gun shooting. The term used in sniping is 'extreme spread'.

While luck will have played some part in this shooting, there is only so much luck that lets a sniper hit three targets at this range. One, maybe. Three?...

I may not be spot on with the figures as it is a number of years since I carried out any sniping tasks but the point is to demonstrate that you can not always believe what is writen in the UK press.

Never a truer word was spoken. However details of this shooting are being circulated within the military internal sources. The story is factual.

I would also like to point out that I do not decry the efforts of this soldier but these 'good news' stories are merely used to boost the flagging moral of the UK population and the MoD in a 'war' that has fewer and fewer supporters.

Be that as it may, it was still fantastic shooting.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by PaddyInf

Fair point on the phraseology mate. I've not picked up a sniper rifle since 2002 and even then it was never something which I have used often. Glad to see that the 'facts' can be corroborated by a source other than an 'official spokesman'.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by Extreme Pilgrim]

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This is an excellent thread. Does anyone have any other sniper stories/facts?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf
Oh, just thought I'd throw this fella into the mixer.

Five targets in 28 seconds from over 1600m. 37 dead Terrys in a four month tour.

When I was on HERRICK 4 in 2006 one of the snipers from 3 Para got 39 confirmed with a L96.

It has to be said, Brit snipers are really doing the business at the minute.

[edit on 15-5-2010 by PaddyInf]

this is some amazing shooting by the English once again. and i agree with pilgrim that this war is becoming less and less popular however we don't necessarily want to be there still having to kill these people .

we are just there trying to help it's citizens have a normal life without the threat of being raided by Taliban extremists and oppressive dictators would you have us leave these people to be overrun and oppressed by these extremist factions? although you may not agree with these amazing story's of men having to save each other with shots from miles away then don't read them go hug a tree and join a hippy circle but don't come on here hating people who are just defending themselves whilst trying to help others.

[edit on 16-5-2010 by crimson tears shini]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join