It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: New York's Times Square evacuated for emergency probe

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
New York's Times Square evacuated for emergency probe

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Police evacuated New York's Times Square on Saturday night for what officers at the scene called an "emergency investigation" and dozens of officers blocked access to the busy central Manhattan square.

The square was evacuated shortly after 8 p.m., according to Reuters reporters on the scene. Emergency vehicles were seen clustered at the south end of the square as well as in some streets leading into the area.

© Copyright 2010, Reuters

publicbroadca sting.net

MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

[edit on Sat May 1 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
The Wall Street Journal

Police shut down a block in the heart of Times Square Saturday night after receiving a call about a suspicious car fire, delaying some Broadway shows by more than an hour.

The call came in just after 6:30 and as of 9 p.m., 45th Street between Seventh and Eighth avenues had not been opened. When police initially responded, they saw smoke coming out of the car but no fire.

Police said a bomb squad investigation was on the scene and that the car on fire was a sport utility vehicle had license plates that didn't match the make of the car, raising suspicions.

MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

[edit on Sat May 1 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Ack! Nevermind. It looks like I need to learn how to read thoroughly O.o

[edit on 1-5-2010 by angrymomma]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Im very confused about this whole situation...I just read the Fox News article saying they found scarves,racks and clothes inside of the car? Am I missing somthing here?

heres the article

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

NEW YORK -- Police have closed some streets in New York City's Times Square as they investigate a car that has been "deemed suspicious." Police said Saturday the bomb squad was investigating the contents of the car on 45th Street. They say the block was closed between Seventh and Eighth avenues as a precaution. A webcam at 46th Street and Broadway showed the streets had been cleared of pedestrians. A line of police cars blocked one street. Police say a call of a car fire came in about 6:30 p.m. In December, a van without license plates parked in Times Square led police to block off part of the area for about two hours. A police robot examined the vehicle. Clothes, racks and scarves were found inside

Fox Article

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
They found a device inside the car with wires and smoke coming out of it, obviously a bomb. Ill try to find a link to an article one it hits the internet.

Why do these things keep failing???

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plan2exist18
They found a device inside the car with wires and smoke coming out of it, obviously a bomb. Ill try to find a link to an article one it hits the internet.

Why do these things keep failing???

Because we have the best damn intelligence force in the world.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
What I find strange is MSNB is the ONLY news channel covering this live. CNN has Larry King and Fox is talking about immigration. VERY STRANGE! This is HUGE news people! This could have been extremely disastrous if it would have exploded.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
how does our intelligence stop a car bomb? it just malfunctioned, like the guy who put the damn bomb in his underwear and got on the plane.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I for one think that its just another failed attempt into scaring the public into thinking theres a terrorist on every corner and under every rock but thats just me...

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by hawaiinguy12

My brother was in Times Square tonight and said that it was an abonded car full of propane tanks. Thankfully that did not go off!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MarshMallow_Snake

Couldnt agree more! People dying or getting injured is never a good thing but I also think mentally attacking people with ideas that there life is in danger all the time is just as much damaging as physical wounds.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Reply to hawaiinguy12

But anybody knows the way to run a country is to put fear into them, look at how our government does it now. And governments in the past, people are much easier to control when they are afraid, so id get used to it.

[edit on 1-5-2010 by Plan2exist18]

[edit on 1-5-2010 by Plan2exist18]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

How does the Intelligence community come into play with this particular incident? The FBI or CIA didn't get the report about this first (at least to my knowledge)

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Plan2exist18

No reason to say "Get use to it" Its more like,Identify if its a real incident first before getting all scared and crazy over it. And if its a real thing and there is sufficient evidence it was some sort of terrorist plot,then be afraid lol

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
MSNBC is reporting NYPD Sources say "Car had Black Powder and Propane tank". Although just a few moments earlier the MSNBC commentator said there was a timing device as well. Seems like there just isn't enough info just yet, although I'll be curious to see if there is a 2nd charge planted somewhere or not.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

When I say intelligence I mean even the police.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Ahhhhh gotcha. My bad

Second line!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Agreed, and since a box with wires and propane tanks were found in the car id consider it a legitimate treat so we can move past the consideration stage.

There is the possibility it was just domestic and not linked to terrorism, so i stand by you in that.

Theyll get to the bottom of it soon

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

The most dangerous wars are the ones fought without soldiers and in the mind. There is no doubt in my mind that this is happening every day!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join