It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America: Your Child Does Not Need to Be Two or Three To Be Potty Trained!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
i spoke to a pregnant lady in the bank the other day who informed me they changed the pregnancy term in canada to 10 months! how do you just change something like that??

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I have to say i found this thread to be ver interesting. All my kids are way post the potty training years but its interesting to think how my mindset was exactly as the OP stated. I was really brainwashed into thinking that i HAD to wait to a certain age to even start. Yes yes every kid is different and that is for all you out there who keep saying that over and over. However when those of you who say that it just doesnt feel right, in my opinion your doing exactly what the OP meant to point out with this thread. Your feeding into what you have been taught to think. I agree 8 months may be too young. I think a child should at least learn to walk first and i dont think the OP meant that ALL kids should be potty trained at the same age. Rather i think this is about how corporations like this brainwash us into thinking we need this or need that and we just sorta buy into it because we hear and see it all the time. Slowly they change our culture here to be what it has become.
A for instance would be engagement rings. Before the 1940's engagement rings werent considered a must have before marriage. Diamond engagement rings especially. Debeers launched what is considered to be the most successful advertisement campaign in history with Diamonds are a girls best friend. Since that time diamond engagement rings have become not just the norm but part of our culture and a MUST have if you want to get engaged.
Corporations slowly brainwash us into behaving in certain ways and effect our entire culture through our NEED to have to have something. I agree OP and i wish i had known to even try to potty train my kids because my son was especially bright at the age of 1.
He was walking by 9 months and by age one could get the remote and turn on the tv and change it to disney channel without us helong. To bad i waited till he was past 2 to even try to potty train.
I just thought i had to buy diapers till then cause thats what your suppose to do. LOL

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueperspective
Come to find out THE WHOLE WORLD understands that an INFANT can be potty trained by 8 MONTHS...That's right, before they can even walk a baby can be potty trained. Here is some exerpts from a very informative article.

Consider for a moment that in much of the world that "potty" is little more than a hole in the floor of the WC (if there is a WC) which one squats over and that cleaning up afterward is done with water and the left hand in the place of paper, etc. This is especially true in muslim countries.

I'll never forget the first time I went to a public WC in Indonesia and found it caked several inches high with feces. The stench was horrible and there were flies everywhere. Yeah send baby in to use that.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Sorry This is for BTS...

Train your baby's however you want to....

To poop...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Drow Ingpool

No I think this is a serious issue.
Check my links on prev post

Here are some more facts (using disposable nappies longer than you need to):
www.squidoo.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
if I can potty train a cat at 8 months. I can def potty train an infant.

Seriously, my cat poops and pees on the toilet.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamnot
i spoke to a pregnant lady in the bank the other day who informed me they changed the pregnancy term in canada to 10 months! how do you just change something like that??

A lot of moms either deliver early or late I worked many years in a hospital and never heard of any mom delivering on her due date.

If they are late many doctors decide to induce and they each vary on how long they want to wait before doing so. I imagine changing the time to 10 months will get most doctors together on the time line of when to induce.

My wife was 2 weeks late before she went into labor and the doctor wasn't going to induce for another week.

Either way the baby will be coming. This was done for more of a guideline for the doctors.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Sorry... It is stilll BTS...

"I am sorry if you think how to train your baby's to poop is an ATS topic"

You are wrong...

Drow

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
[edit on 29-4-2010 by Drow Ingpool]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Bull i'm a french native Canadian my parents pottytrained me by 1 year old I rememeber my mom told me she got me to do it by racing me to the bathroom and my potty played music everytime i pissed HA read it and weep experience. first hand

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
we were taught that when a baby stacks things inside of other things ( cups in side other cusp as an example), that indicates that mentally they have the capablity to understand and are ready to learn to use the toilet

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
potty training by 1 yrs?????

These are probably the same "modern" parents who think it's fine to breast feed their little future psychos until they are 4 yrs old.

maybe my mother should have hugged more.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   
It was a long time ago, so I don't remember it, but now that I think about it, it really is a bummer to have to pee and poop on yourself as a little tyke.

I guess you have to be able to stand at least. Stand, walk and sit down again without falling over.

Interesting thread.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by trueperspective

8months? I dont think so.

We started our daughter about 10-12 months (when she was able to walk pretty well).

Earlier just doesnt seem right. The kid cant get up and go crap, they're stuck. When they start walking (and talking better) you know exactly what they want.

2-3 years old? Nah, they should be coming out of diapers by then.

then again, you have these freak mothers that breast feed till their kid is in grade school also.

[edit on 29/4/10 by felonius]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Babies in China are not potty trained by 8 months, They do in fact wear bottomless trousers (rather like chaps) with no daipers or underwear which allows parents to hold them over a potty or gutter in the street if they start to urinate...
I have seen this many times in many different provinces.in China.

PEACE,
RK

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Thank you for posting this, people generally look at me suspisciously when I tell them my daughter never pooped in her diaper after five months and stopped wearing them not long after. We stared training at three months when I realised that it was no mystery when she was about to 'go'. Ours is the only culture which tries to impose unnatural expectations on our infants. All creatures sleep with their young for safety reasons. How can we expect a baby not to feel alarmed at being alone in the night? It is hardwired to call out for protection. Most other cultures carry their naked young everywhere and this leads to an innate understanding of the babys rhythms. Their babies rarely feel the need to cry. I wish there was a group who promoted a more instinctive method to child raising....nurse your baby when it is hungry, never ignore it when it cries. Thanks again for spreading this message!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

Excellent post redhorse! The only thing I disagree with is that, in my opinion, a child cannot be potty trained at 8 months old. I have 1 daughter & 3 sons. My daughter was the easiest and she was trained by 22 months!! A child at 8 months has no control of their bodily functions, nor do they understand the concept. Most children at 8 months are still crawling and some cannot even sit up... I don't believe this person that told you this nonsense. Did you say your child was 22 months???? Well, fine, you should start potty training & be successful NOW. Have another child & try to potty train that child at 8 months and let us know how you do.
O, and I don't believe the "diaper conspiracy".

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I disagree that infants are toilet trained, however, I believe we are experiencing a difference in definition. I will quote from a textbook in child development:

The process of toilet training involves a number of skills that toddlers must master in order to succeed. They must have some word or signal that they can use to communicate to their parents their need to go to the bathroom. They must be able to get to the bathroom either by finding their own way there or by finding someone to direct them there. They must be able to delay elimination until they have arrived at the bathroom and removed the clothes.

Children cannot control elimination until their musculature is sufficiently developed. This is an obvious but extremely important point. The sphincter muscles, which control the ability to hold on to and let go of fecal
material, do not become fully mature and workable until the average child is between 1 1/2 and 2 years old. The implication of this physical development is that a child will be unable to control bowel movements before the spincters have attained maturation.

For the child to experience a sense of competence during the toilet training period, a number of things must occur:

1. The body must be ready.
2.. The child must be able to give a signal when it is time to go.
3. The child must be able to respond to an internal cue and anticipate necessary action.

Source: "Development Through Life: A Psychosocial Approach", by Newman and Newman.

This is the general definition of toilet trained. You could hold a newborn over a toilet until it went.....that does not by any stretch of the imagination mean it's toilet trained.

I mentioned in another post that toilet training is the first "social demand", placed upon a human being in our culture. It is, and consequently it is significant. Demanding that a baby do something it is physically unable to do can have future repercussions for the child.

Again, I think we are looking at different definitions. For people who are simply looking to get out of diaper buying, then it's fine to put the baby on the potty as long as no "demands" are made of it.

Toilet training also is experienced differently in different cultures, and socio-economic groups. For example, in China many people might sleep in the same room, and someone is more likely to be near the baby and know when it needs to go to the toilet, and can take it.

In America, parents tend to sleep in separate rooms from their babies, so a diaper is provided for the night.

...And girls are more easily trained than boys, but it is due to a muscular development, not intelligence or personality traits, or anything of that nature. It's physical.

By country, China, and Japan "train" earlier, although I doubt if the babies would meet the American criteria for "toilet trained". Londoners are cited as beginning early as well, with Sweden in the rear, waiting until the babies are three or four.

Most Americans begin at 18 months to two years of age, depending on the child's emotional and physical development.

Edit: to add source of quote.

[edit on 4/29/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

The article is wrong. Its not up to a parent to force potty training, they introduce and demonstrate it. If the child is not ready, you dont force the issue, you let them play. Forcing it causes block and creates possibly future issues.

All children are different. It has to do with their neurology and maturity, which is individual. Many boys, with learning disabilities, and thats on the increase, take much longer. You cannot get into power struggles with children. They have to feel it, hold it, and get the potty. Not the same. Most parents begin at 2, but most children arent ready until 3, on average. That is, they can't feel, hold it, and get to the potty. Average means that you have a range between 1-4 years. Averages are only averages. With the 1 year you cant force it. With the 4 year old you cant force it, you just get alot more inventive.

For example one of my later ones, was enticed finally wiht stickers, really cool ones, one sticker for number one, two for two. He only took a week then. Another later one, really hated the feel of the toilet, so I discovered getting them to sit up and down and stay on it for a few minutes at a time,then giving them a popcycle or ice cream worked.

Most boys are 3.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I really appreciate all of the feedback. I see some disagree with what I have shared. Let me just say that I am not saying that you have to FORCE your child to be potty trained by 8 months...

All I am saying is that it is possible...unlike what we are taught by the experts that work for the bid diaper companies that say otherwise.

WE should give our young ones the credit they deserve. Just because they can't talk does not mean they can not understand or communicate in other ways. We have all been brainwashed (I think) to view our little ones as mindless dependants until they meet somekind of intelligence standard that apparently can only be acheived at the earliest at age two.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join