It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Fox News is reporting Chicago/ Illinois rep's; John Frichey (D) and LaShawn Ford want the govener to deploy the national guard to combat the high murder rate in the city. The guard would not have to follow the same rule's of due process, as in getting a search warrent as part of conducting these activities. A previous request some law maker's was rejected by mayor Daly.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by arbiture

Sorry about tthe big question mark. I thougt I included "national guard" in the caption. Mabey because it's early...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
This is not good. Military personal have no business doing a policeman's job.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReVoLuTiOn76

its ironic u should say that cuz
that's exactly what they're doing
in Afgh and Iraq.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Funny you should mention that boondock. During the fox chicago peice last night they mentioned it. The promblem is that the police superintendant Jody Weiss is a polititian not a cop. The police basically aren't allowed to do their jobs for fear of racial based law suits. The CPD from what I hear has very little respect for him. Using the NG would allow them to go home by home confiscate and arrest whomever without the pesky process of getting a warrant.

Chicago will become a warzone, the gangs they don't fight will move to the burbs.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ReVoLuTiOn76

This is already the case. As mentioned before, Iraq Afghanistan, but more importantly our police forces have become paramilitary forces themselves. Our police have been militarized thanks to the literally 'war on drugs' they caused in the first place.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Can you post a news article or something to prove what you are saying is the truth? I live a good 15-20 minutes from Chicago and I have never heard of this.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I ran a Google search on "chicago national guard" and came up with over 500 news results.

I remember how scary it was in Harrisburg, PA right after 9/11 with cops carrying rifles. Chicago would be just as scary with national guard running around "keeping peace".

:Edit to put quotation after 'guard'.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by MotherofBlessings]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SteveZ

It's all over the local news, cnn, fox, and I think this is the third thread I've seen on the subject.

Is this the best answer? I don't think so, and for the simple reason it was done in Gary Indiana about 20 yrs ago. Sure immediately crime dropped, while the guard was there patrolling with the police, but as soon as they left it was business as usual.

It seems to be nearly an identical situation the only difference is the size of the area. Gary was beyond politically corrupt, which in turn created a climate where the "thugs" were often in cahoots with cops or at the very least paying them off, and the "thugs" would stay on the streets.

It has only been within the past 5 or so years that they have really cracked down on political and police corruption. Perhaps, that is where Chicago should start, learn from the mistakes of Gary the National Guard and little lasting effect, but stopping the corruption leads to criminals actually being able to be prosecuted and put away.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MotherofBlessings

I don't think people are taking into account the size of Chicago. The national guard will not be patrolling the entire city, it is very specific wards with high crime, the south side and the west side, shopping on Michigan Ave will not be effected.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Here's another article from Chicago, ...

Crime fight is up to us, not the National Guard

In post-Katrina New Orleans, the Guard served a useful role staffing checkpoints to keep people out of sealed-off neighborhoods. That's a job a military force can do.

But the Guard isn't suited to fight drug violence and gangs. Guard units are not trained to collect evidence, obtain search warrants or help build criminal cases that can stand up in court. And they know far less about our city neighborhoods than do the police who are there every day.

Good police work is more than uniformed personnel stationed on the corners of dangerous neighborhoods. And it's certainly not military rifles and camouflage.

The Chicago Police Department is 2,000 officers short of what the city budget authorizes. We need more cops, not more soldiers.

"There's your problem!"

Chicago needs to hire more cops, not bring in the military!

But the numbers also show the police have been doing good work in many places. Murders have not increased in Austin, which adjoins the Harrison district, and are down 40 percent in Englewood. Overall, violent crime is down 35 percent in the city over the past 10 years.

Can the National Guard really do a better job?

Even if Guard units were called in, they would not stay for long. Chicago needs a permanent solution, one rooted in solving problems of poverty, poor schools and dysfunctional families.

It's tempting to yearn for the hero with the tin star to come to town and drive out the violence.

But that's not how the real world works.

[edit on 4/27/2010 by Keyhole]

new topics

top topics

join