It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens may exist but contact would hurt humans: Hawking

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Aliens may exist but contact would hurt humans: Hawking

news.yahoo.com

"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans," said the astrophysicist in a new television series, according to British media reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Hmm, not so sure about that. While he does have a point, he's comparing how humans behave towards other humans, which as we know sometimes can come to violence and domination.

Who's to say this would be the case with an "alien" species? It could be good, it could be bad, but to wish them away does not seem like the answer.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

On the probability of alien life existing, he says: "To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational.

"The real challenge is to work out what aliens might actually be like."

That brings up another point, how many "aliens" species are out there that might not be very advanced? Sure one can calculate the likely number of races and planets that may harbor life, but what if we ARE the most advanced so far?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I really can see the agenda behind this all.

Hawking wants to hold humanity back. Keep us out of the galactic arena.
He thinks humans are weak.

I think hes a coward. He let his bosses speak through his mouth/reputation. You know the whole "Aliens are evil" agenda?

I apologize that I am bias against him. I've always been on Sagan's side about it. (You know outwardly seeking contact).

Anyways I am sorry, but I will argue with Hawking on almost every issue all the time. I don't think hes honest about anything. To me he's mostly disinfo so the powers that be can keep us all slaves and never let us go free in outer space to explore /expand.

"Nope sorry everyone its too dangerous the aliens will eat us oh no!" It's fear mongering at it's finest. And mostly illogical too as well. Countless reasons why.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I think Hawkins may be trying reverse psychology. He cannot come out and say Humans are evil (people will condemn him) which is true just look how we treat other species on the planet. Hawkins is a intelligent person and he knows that humans are not civilised enough to contact other species.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crimson_King
. Hawkins is a intelligent person and he knows that humans are not civilised enough to contact other species.

He can speak for himself.

I speak for me.

And I am ready to contact alien civilizations.

I am mature enough and reasonable enough.

I have no problem with them being different.

And if they can destroy us, we deserve it for being a weaker species. Bottom line.

So stand up and have some dignity for once. Stop condemning everyone for the actions of a few.

This has got to end. I refuse to be put in the same basket with ignorant violent wars and prejudice and murder. NO WAY JOSE!

I personally Muzzleflash, AM READY to contact alien civilizations.

Maybe that old dinosaur Hawking isn't.

But he has no right holding me back.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
They would only hurt humans if they haven't progressed beyond where we are. Why is it so hard for mutual-beneficiary ideologies to take root? We're all too Binary.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

I think hes a coward. He let his bosses speak through his mouth/reputation. You know the whole "Aliens are evil" agenda?

I apologize that I am bias against him. I've always been on Sagan's side about it. (You know outwardly seeking contact).

Anyways I am sorry, but I will argue with Hawking on almost every issue all the time. I don't think hes honest about anything. To me he's mostly disinfo so the powers that be can keep us all slaves and never let us go free in outer space to explore /expand.

"Nope sorry everyone its too dangerous the aliens will eat us oh no!" It's fear mongering at it's finest. And mostly illogical too as well. Countless reasons why.

You see no problem in trying to contact ALL alien races that would respond to us? What if they misinterpret something we do? There are way too many variables to simply go and make contact, if anything, we should watch silently and look for aliens that we know are completely peaceful in nature before we try to make contact.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Just watched this documentary on Discovery channel. It was interesting. I think he's right in many ways....we have no idea what is truly out there.

Look at how we treat each other on our own planet. We love to hate...but we can be compassionate as well.

To think that any other intelligent life out there are all blue guys from the movie AVATAR would be a bit foolish IMO.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
We are as a species not ready IMHO. Full contact with an Alien species would most likely be the end of us. Just look at our own history. We can barely hold on to our butts now. Why should we go waving around we have no idea whats out there.

I think the prudent thing to do is for now just listen. Even though we have been blaring radio signals in every which directions for decades now. Some feel it's too late they have Earth Quarantined anyway.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
i was born ready for alien contact.

mr hawkins has more than just my respect, but i would love to ask him if alien contact was made and they had advanced medicines that could cure him would he say no ?

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gaurdian2012

but i would love to ask him if alien contact was made and they had advanced medicines that could cure him would he say no

But what if they brought disease instead of curing it? I would think that would be more possible than the other.

It's still interesting nonetheless and I think there has to be life out there.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Hawkings would be upset if aliens did finally come around and introduce themselves. He then wouldn't be one of the "smartest" people on the planet. Who knows if they are real then maybe they can help us with some of our problems

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

let us go free in outer space to explore /expand.

Hry!! Relax. Reaching out and boldly going where no man has gone b4, ain't that far. I have the solution. Have tried to contact NASA several times. But the characters just wont reply.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I just love how being a theoretical physicist qualifies him as an expert in xenopsychology. He can no more predict the outcome of open contact or motivations of otherworld intelligences any more or less than any one of us can. It's arrogance to the extreme to presume otherwise.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
me thinks Mr Hawkins has seen
too many reruns of Independence Day !!!

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
D'oh, there were three topics on this yesterday, and two more today! (I should know, mine was locked
)
Funnily enough, each of them had a different source...

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
A Brookings Institute study said contact and disclosure would be calamitous for society and culture. Probably one of the main reasons for the secrecy.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
Just watched this documentary on Discovery channel. It was interesting. I think he's right in many ways....we have no idea what is truly out there.

Agreed.

However, he puts such a negative spin on the subject that one has to wonder why. I suppose it could go either way, but to avoid any kind of contact goes against mans never ending quest for knowledge, and perhaps to a lesser extent the adventurous side.

"Such advanced aliens would perhaps become nomads, looking to conquer and colonise whatever planets they can reach," warned Hawking.

Me thinks his imagination is running wild on this one. Comparing our behavior to another being we know nothing about is not very valid, imo.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crimson_King
. Hawkins is a intelligent person and he knows that humans are not civilised enough to contact other species.

I speak for me. ....

But he has no right holding me back.

Amen!

If there is worst out there than what I've seen on this earth, then the whole damn universe is screwed. I'm at the point where I would gladly get probed by any alien race out there. I admire Mr. Hawking a lot but his personnal fears are unfair to those of us who feel ready.

What them aliens need to do then, is a Rapture-style contact.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join