It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

�Shock and awe� to set stage for war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 07:10 PM
link   
March 5 � U.S. forces plan to drop 10 times the bombs in the opening days of the air campaign in Iraq that they did in the 1991 Persian Gulf War, officials said Wednesday. It would be an overwhelming demonstration of the strategy Pentagon officials call �shock and awe,� to be followed by a ground assault in the region by part of the 300,000 U.S. troops now in or nearing the region. And NBC News has learned that U.S. forces now in northern Iraq are working with the Kurds to improve airstrips where troops of the storied 101st Airborne Division would land in the event of war....

www.msnbc.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 03:32 AM
link   
thats most impressive. i cant imagine how that would be. overwhelming is a good start i suppose. lets see how many defecters this produces!
when i first heard this i was like "whoa".

10 times as much.... how much is that? how many bombs did they use in all of the gulf war?

[Edited on 6-3-2003 by krossfyter]

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 06:48 AM
link   
This makes perfect sense to me from a military stand point. I'd predicted this strategy a couple of months ago in some ATS thread.

Strategically, the allies can't afford to drag this campaign out any longer than necessary.

I saw an article in the UK Sunday Times that showed a picture of the Royal Marines opeartion Telic in Kuwait. The land-based firepower that it showed was awesome. Troops lying prone with machine guns backed up by battle jeeps mounted with heavy machine guns - all you see are three layers of muzzles. If that's an indication of the gound plan, then what comes from the air would certainly be devastating.

Also, MM's story link mentioned the newest and biggest American bomb yet, that's planned for use against Iraq.

One Marine said in a news interview that he felt sorry for the enemy forces, because what was planned would be so devastating that it will be unbelievable.

Saddam could avoid all this destruction, if he would comply with UN resolution 1441 and disarm. The planned destruction is a necessary response to his refusal to continue playing his games.

The news reported last night that General Tommy Franks is meeting with the President now and when he returns to his forward command post, he would not return until the war is over.

As soon as the warning comes for all non-military personnel to leave Iraq immediately, this thing's going to kick-off, big time!

I regreat any loss of innocent life in this situation, but it's Saddam's fault. We're only reacting to his denials of possessing WMD and game-playing.

I hope it's over quickly with as little loss of life as possible. I sure wouldn't want to be an Iraqi soldies right now.

Food for thought,
Deep

[Edited on 6-3-2003 by deepwaters]

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
...I wonder why, when reading this thread, the word "Blitzkreig" comes to mind...That was Hitler's strategy too, wasn't it?

[Edited on 6-3-2003 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Mar, 6 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
...I wonder why, when reading this thread, the word "Blitzkreig" comes to mind...That was Hitler's strategy too, wasn't it?

[Edited on 6-3-2003 by MidnightDStroyer]

yep. hey did you get my response? i would like an answer to some of my questions. thanx. i am really interested in an answer.

with respect

posted on Mar, 7 2003 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by krossfyter
yep. hey did you get my response? i would like an answer to some of my questions. thanx. i am really interested in an answer.

Hmmm...I don't have anything currently sitting in my email or my U2U. If I haven't already responded lately, you might have to send it again.

posted on Mar, 7 2003 @ 12:15 AM
link   
oh im sorry man i apologize. i ment this question for anyone who could answer it for me if possible...

"10 times as much.... how much is that? how many bombs did they use in all of the gulf war?"

im trying to find numbers online but i cant find jack.

sorry for the confusion. im still new at this board so bare with me.

thanx

posted on Mar, 7 2003 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I'm not sure of the actual details, but from the indications that I remember from the postings scattered around the forums, I think that the bombs going into Iraq would come out to about 100 bombs per hour for several days.

top topics

join