It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Deep Cleaning" dental scam

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
ok, so I went to a new dentist last week. Like most people, I don't like going to the dentist. Poking me with sharp objects to see if I'm taking good care of my teeth is not all that fun.

In fact...I just went to a dentist a year ago and he said my teeth and gums were in great shape and to keep up the good work. I took his advice and continued my daily regime of brushing and flossing everyday, SOoOoo I wasn't expecting much of a problem, in fact, I only went in to get them their usual cleaning.
It was supposed to be a "No biggie"... but I was WRONG.
SoOOoOo the dental assistant gives me the run down. I get the extra special treatment since I haven't been to a dentist in a year. Oh boy, I'm feeling special now.

She told me that I needed to get my 18 X-ray photos taken of my mouth to see what kind of damage has been done in a year. I told her that I just had that done a few years ago, but she told me that it was their procedure for all new patients and they only do those 18 shot x-rays every 5 years. So I'm thinking..in less than 2 years my mouth has to become radiated again just because I'm a new patient?
I give in and get them done.

After waiting 10 minutes, the dentists comes in. Seems friendly enough. He tasked me it if I've been having any problems with my teeth or gums.
I told him I was feeling fine and I haven't had any problems with my teeth or gums for a long time.

The dentist then explains to me that he needs to check for pockets in my gums. I'm thinking to myself, no worries here.... I have good teeth and gums. My gums are healthy and pink.

Next thing I know, he's calling out some big numbers like he's playing bingo in my mouth. Now, I already know about these numbers, the bigger the number, the deeper the pocket is.
And talk about pain. It felt like he was purposely digging in his little pick to create new pockets in my gums. I've never had that much pain doing a typical gum check. Ouch.

Anyway, once he was finished he then goes on to tell me that I need a "Deep Cleaning" and I have to replace and old filling that is now decayed.
What? I can't believe it. In one year, my teeth have gone from excellent to really bad?

I've NEVER ever needed a Deep cleaning in all my life. What the H3ll did I do differently to make my teeth so bad? I eat organic foods, I don't eat candy, I don't smoke or even drink coffee. I don't do fluoride and I haven't changed my daily habits of brushing 2 times a day, flossing, rinsing...ect..
I felt fine.

My dentist then continues to tell me that he will have to do the deep cleaning in 2 sessions that will take 1 1/2 hours each session. Then the dental assistant hand me the cost of the procedure and how much my insurance will pay.
Funny how it all added up to be the exact amount my deduction will let me have.
Eactly $1,000 for it all. I'm pretty much screwd if I need to go back to the dentist this year, because it will be all out of pocket then. bye-bye insurance coverage.

I made my first appointment for the "Deep cleaning" next week, but I didn't feel too good about it. I wondered how much of a scam this procedure of "Deep Cleaning" really was, so I did some research and found out that it's not uncommon for dentists to advise this to patients who don't even need it done. It is one of the more costly and painful procedures done in a dentist office beside a root canal. It's about money.

I honestly don't belive Deep cleanings are not necessary for everyone.

I think I will cancel my appointment and try to find a dentist who will just do a typical cleaning. No more Gentech for me.

Anyone else offered a "Deep Cleaning" by your dentist recently?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
At my dentist I have to ask for a deep clean to get one

funny old world isn't it!?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Im not a big fan of the dentist. I used to always joke that he would try to create cavities by jamming that pick in as hard as he could.
I'm always skeptical when someone tells you that you need a procedure done that is just going to line their pockets with cash. But, ah, what do I know.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
If you say you have the hygiene habits that you say then i dont see why you need this deep cleaning. It is definetly a scam they probably lacking patients, so their using you as a cash cow.

I reccommend that yo go to another dentist to get a second opinion.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicunderstanding
Im not a big fan of the dentist. I used to always joke that he would try to create cavities by jamming that pick in as hard as he could.
I'm always skeptical when someone tells you that you need a procedure done that is just going to line their pockets with cash. But, ah, what do I know.

I used to swear my dentist did that when I was younger, I would walk in with perfect teeth and then he would pick at them like he was creating a hole, I swear he was

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I don't go to the dentist. Your teeth are naturally, suppose to be bright yellow.

If they are white, i would be worried about what your putting in your mouth.

They never tell you plack protects your teeth, do they?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

plaque rot your teeth and breaks down the enamel leaving it prone to acid eroision

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jumpingbeanz

And....

"Fluoride stops teeth from rotting"

Am i right?

People tell white lies to make money in this day in age.

Do you see ancients using a tooth brush? And do you see them with full mouths of teeth?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Be careful with it. I had one, and it made me sick for a long period of time. Months. It releases a bunch of crap into your system, and overwhelms your immune system. They should give anti-biotics with those things. When I was sitting in a lab getting these marble-sized, hard, swollen glands in my neck biopsied the doctor asked "do you mind if I ask you, have you had any dental work done lately? Like a deep-cleaning procedure?" Ah. Bingo.

I don't think I would ever have associated it with that procedure, if he hadn't mentioned it. So be forewarned. Do some things to build up your immune system before you begin it. Vitamin C and junk.

And....those numbers they call out? Mine were not at all high. They were all low, except for one, which was a four.

But, I will say, I think my teeth were much better off for the procedure.
I would have it again, now, years later, if I wasn't afraid of getting sick again.

Oh, one other thing. It hurts like hell once the meds wear off!
Have fun!

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
That's one of the reasons i don't go to the dentist. As long as everything's fine why should i? There's no need for check-ups and other stuff that only costs money but doesn't do anything. I haven't been to the dentist in 10-12 years and i never had problems. I clean them regurlarly and that's all they need.

I also remember that after visits to the dentists my teeth and everything else were in worse shape than before

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Both my father and my grandfather lost all their teeth after a deep cleaning from the dentist. Needless to say I won't be getting that done. Especially after they gave me an unnecessary root canal on a tooth that didn't have any roots to begin with, and left a very ugly patch job.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
You said you didn't drink coffee. There's your problem, right there. Coffee is nature's way of shielding your teeth against decay. I make sure to drink at least six cups a day, and by "cup", I mean this big honkin' Navy mug with no handle that I swiped long ago. It has to hold at least 12 oz a shot.

Not only that, but the coffee here is produced by a Bunn system we call "The Shrine". We've got not only a commercial brewer, but there's a thing called a "Bunn doser/grinder", which fills the basket with freshly ground coffee. Enough to give you palpitations and tachycardia with each cup.

The bacteria in my mouth don't stand a chance.

On topic, never ever ever get a "deep clean" if you have cardiac trouble, or if you're going to have surgery within six months. Seriously. The dentist SHOULD prep you with prophylactic antibiotics before and after to kill off the showers of bacteria that will enter your blood stream. The bad part is, some of your normal mouth flora "look like" your heart valves to your immune system, that is, they share similar surface antigens. So you can, if you're particularly unlucky, provoke your immune system to attack your heart valves.

And the flip side, some of your normal mouth flora just LOVE to colonize your heart valves, so if your immune system DOESN'T react, they may set up shop there and give you endocarditis. Eventually, you'll end up with a little garden of vegetative growths on your valves.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

not really when some died from ulcers and whatnot,
and they used to brush with soil and sticks

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Not that you are getting old, but, I was given the same shpeel from my dentist when I turned about 45. I was told the deep cleaning is necessary once a person reaches a certain age. Like you, I balked at it because outside of over brushing my teeth, making my gums recede, my mouth was fine.

Instead of paying a huge sum of money for the deep cleaning that my insurance did not cover, I bought a Sonicare toothbrush. I've not had a problem since, and no further cavaties.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Hilarious post, and by the way, how you explained things is exactly how it was explained to me by the dentist. (The dentist I switched to after the first one almost killed me).

However, I do drink tons of coffee, from a Bunn coffeemaker. But as I remarked in my other comment, I don't think my teeth were in that bad a shape to start with. They seem fine to me. All white and sparkly.

To Blanca Rose: I bet those things do work. I've also heard the same things about those water pics. I need to get one, although I might be too lazy to use it.

And last but not least to gandi: Good luck with your teeth buddy. With your personal philosophy about dental care, you're going to need it!

[edit on 4/18/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Dont do it. Goto another dentist. You can have your xrays forwarded.

My old dentist did a usual cleaning. MY new one wants this deep cleaning too. I said goodbye, and got a new one.

Its a money maker.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MeTTaLic_PhaNToM

Yep. I'm going to check around and try to find a dentist in a little town. No more Mega dental dentists for me.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I agree

dentists are one of the most corrupt professionals

lets say you have a minor problem that doesnt need to be corrected! well, they will make it like you NEED to do it, its very sad ... I really dont believe anyone can trust their dentist ... the best thing would be to get 2nd opinion and to know some to get a real analysis ...

they need to find problems, so, even if they are not bad people, they will find minor problems, since its hard to have everything perfect ... and many times is not needed

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Great info. I never knew Deep cleanings would cause so much damage to your system.

If only I could drink coffee, but my system doesn't work well with caffene. I get severe stomach cramps. What about de-caf coffee? Would that work?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
theyr all EVIL money makers, im also sure he picks so hard my teeth on purpose to make parger holes. when did a small cavity became a large cavity? they also say fluoride is nice for the teeth. they just want to take our money and leave us with rotten teeth
make toothpase from baking soda and salt and have no worries

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join